Harvard vs Michigan $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Harvard vs Michigan

Harvard
77%
Michigan
23%

Total votes: 140

dennycrane59

Harvard vs Michigan $$

Postby dennycrane59 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:02 pm

So I`m in a peculiar situation. I`m from Toledo Ohio and have strong personal reasons to prefer Michigan over Harvard because of proximity to family and SO. I have been offered a $30,000 scholarship to Michigan and COA should end up around $90,000. I expect to receive about $25,000 from Harvard in need aid so COA should be around $150,000.

I hope to practice big/medium law in Cleveland or Columbus after law school and have little interest in NY/DC/Chi. Down the line I would like to do PI in Ohio but that's long-term. Given my modest post-law school goals will Harvard give me a large enough advantage to outweigh the personal benefits of remaining in Ohio? Also I imagine that Mich has a larger/stronger alumni network within the state and I would be forgoing that. Plus I absolutely love Ann arbor and Michlaw

thoughts? Is this one of those rare instances where I can pass up Harvard without making a huge mistake?

Oh and 3.8, 178

BarbellDreams

Re: Harvard vs Michigan $$

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed May 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Unless Michigan gives you close to a full ride you're going to Harvard...easily.

Postby 062914123 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 pm

A cheaper michigan, especially when you want to stay in that region, is TCR

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Sounds to me like you want justification NOT to attend Harvard here, since you will end up choosing Michigan for personal reasons anyway (correct me if I'm wrong, this is how it read to me). With a 178 you shouldn't be settling for anything less than the full tuition named scholarship at Mich. If you do end up choosing Michigan over Harvard, it won't be with the blessing of TLS - but our collective wisdom is not, in the end, a more important factor than your SO.

Harvard will do better for you in secondary markets no matter what, and if you're getting need based aid to boot that just sweetens the pot. Harvard will allow you to change careers from biglaw in Ohio to PI more smoothly. Harvard will guarantee you what Michigan will give you a fighting chance for ITE. Understand what you are giving up by choosing Michigan. Your SO and your family will owe you one, seriously.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Wed May 29, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Dude. Harvard.

Leave. Get some perspective. Get a shiny degree. Return and enjoy. No one is going to turn you down for having gone to Harvard over Mich.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:14 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:A cheaper michigan, especially when you want to stay in that region, is TCR

lol, no

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed May 29, 2013 7:14 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:A cheaper michigan, especially when you want to stay in that region, is TCR

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Keep in mind that you are asking people who would sacrifice their first child and mother without a thought to attend H........do what you feel is best for you and your family...Given your goals, M at 90k is not a bad choice....

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 pm

You couldn't squeeze a full ride out of NU or Mich?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Think about your best case scenario out of Michigan (which most likely is just as possible if not more so coming out of H). When you're at your dream job, will you wonder what your life would be like as a Harvard alum? The difference in COA is easily worth it to take H, but if you're sure you won't have any regrets working mid-law in Ohio out of Michigan, I don't really see why you need to take out the extra loans and move away from your family/SO for three years. No shame in doing what's best for you and Michigan is no TTT.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:36 pm

You have 25k in aid to Harvard? How is this a question?

Harvard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Michigan

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:38 pm

NanaP wrote:Keep in mind that you are asking people who would sacrifice their first child and mother without a thought to attend H........do what you feel is best for you and your family...Given your goals, M at 90k is not a bad choice....

I think OP's family will survive just fine if he/she goes to cambridge for 3 years. It's not like he/she would be supporting them in law school either way.

M at 90K is not a bad choice in an absolute sense. its a shitty choice comparatively. this advice is pretty useless.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 29, 2013 7:58 pm

If you're seriously considering Michigan, at least attempt to negotiate using the Harvard offer. You should definitely be able to squeeze at least 40K/year out of them.

Even then, that 25K/year from Harvard makes it tough to turn down.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Sounds to me like you want justification NOT to attend Harvard here, since you will end up choosing Michigan for personal reasons anyway (correct me if I'm wrong, this is how it read to me). With a 178 you shouldn't be settling for anything less than the full tuition named scholarship at Mich. If you do end up choosing Michigan over Harvard, it won't be with the blessing of TLS - but our collective wisdom is not, in the end, a more important factor than your SO.

Harvard will do better for you in secondary markets no matter what, and if you're getting need based aid to boot that just sweetens the pot. Harvard will allow you to change careers from biglaw in Ohio to PI more smoothly. Harvard will guarantee you what Michigan will give you a fighting chance for ITE. Understand what you are giving up by choosing Michigan. Your SO and your family will owe you one, seriously.

This.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed May 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Michigan had no business stiffing you on a full ride.

OP, go to Harvard. It trumps all regional ties, you're first in line for everything forever, and you have basically a zero percent chance of regretting it (whereas you very well might regret turning i down).

eph

Postby eph » Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I choose Harvard over a full ride at Michigan. The decision was very difficult and every time I hear Tim Allen doing a Pure Michigan commercial I wonder. I love Michigan Law. The physical plant is way nicer than Harvard Law, although the Wasserstein Center is a great addition. Michigan just built a new academic building last year and rebuilt the Lawyers Club now. The people at Michigan are pleasant, very helpful, and less competitive, but in a good way. At this level everybody is wicked smart. I asked a family friend who is an equity partner at a top ten firm for his thoughts. He felt Michigan might make me a better person, a little more balanced and less "on" all the time, but that Harvard would make me a better lawyer and more marketable. Our gpa is about the same but your LSAT is higher. I think if you are certain, and I am not sure that you can be, that you will be in the top 10%-20% at Michigan then you can't make a bad choice. Top of the class at Michigan gets you just about anywhere you want to be (no seat on the Supreme Court and a little more difficult to be President). However Harvard is Harvard. All of the Profs at Michigan who told me I would love it there were honest and sincere, and nice, the problem was they all went to Harvard or Yale. Good luck you can't go wrong.

indo

Postby indo » Wed May 29, 2013 9:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Unless Michigan gives you close to a full ride you're going to Harvard...easily.

+ 1 . Harvard all the way

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed May 29, 2013 9:55 pm

indo wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Unless Michigan gives you close to a full ride you're going to Harvard...easily.

tabula rasa

Postby tabula rasa » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Negotiate for a full ride at Michigan; go to Harvard if they offer anything less.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed May 29, 2013 10:10 pm

I'd take a full ride or close at Michigan over Harvard if you have personal reasons. But with that much debt either way, you'd be foolish to turn down the greater safety net Harvard provides (though some people in this thread are overrating how "set for life" you'll be just by attending).

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 pm

The people voting for Michigan must be riding Harvard's waitlist, because it's easily worth $60k more. Unless Mich gives you a full ride, this isn't really a serious discussion.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
indo wrote:

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 3:25 am

BigZuck wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
indo wrote:

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:54 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:The people voting for Michigan must be riding Harvard's waitlist, because it's easily worth $60k more. Unless Mich gives you a full ride, this isn't really a serious discussion.

I didn't vote, but yeah, I think it'd be silly to give up Harvard with 25k in need aid when Mich isnt even giving you a full Darrow. But if ur set on Mich, I'd be happy to take that Harvard spot off your hands OP.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”