How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby twenty » Wed May 29, 2013 2:27 am

In fairness, I mistakenly read OP as what I would pay for x school, which is not necessarily what a school is "worth." There's no way I would advocate Michigan at sticker or suggest you should only go to NU at 60k COA --that's silliness.

PM2353 wrote:I have to be missing something here?


Aside from the fact that any qualifying PI job is pretty hard to come by, let alone a ten-year career PI gig that will let you work substantially fewer than biglaw hours, nothing at all. If you can't get a PI gig, you're going to be hard-pressed to get any kind of private sector work assuming that's the way your resume shaped up, and then you're really buggered.

And, of course, even if you do get a non-LRAP-eligable PSLF position, you'll still end up shelling out 70-80k over the span of 10 years.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 29, 2013 2:44 am

Justin Genious wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Justin Genious wrote:This depends on career goals. Personally, I want NYC Biglaw and the following is what I'd pay--total COA--based on that.

Y - $150k
S - $150k
H - $150k
C - $115k
C - $115k
N - $115k
P - $100k (based on recent employment numbers)
V - $90k
B - $65k (from what I've read, Boalt doesn't place as well as it's peers in NYC)
M - $65k (recent employment numbers scare me)
D - $90k
N - $90k
C - $90k
G - wouldn't attend


Really? You would not attend Georgetown full ride+stipend if it was your only option? Also, you would only attend Berkeley and Mich full ride? I'm debt averse, but if those were my only options I would still consider them great choices.

Just over 42% biglaw+clerkship for GT is not worth that risk for me. Berk and Mich are great but I'd rather pay 25-35k more for PVDNC for a, presumably, better shot at NYC biglaw. Of course, if Boalt and Michigan full-ride were my only choices I'd definitely go--never said I wouldn't.


Well, since the numbers are total COA it looks like you just want to pay COL at Berk and Mich. so even though you never literally said you wouldn't go there with full-ride, I don't see another reasonable translation. I don't really know why I care, it's probably just coming off as needlessly contentious, so by all means ignore me if you want.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby hephaestus » Wed May 29, 2013 5:36 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:This question is stupid and this thread is pointless.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby justonemoregame » Wed May 29, 2013 6:32 am

ImNoScar wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:This question is stupid and this thread is pointless.


Yeah there was a thread similar to this last year - the answers were mostly a function of what people were able to do, rather than what they were willing to do. It's easy to say you wouldn't accept less than what you already have.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 am

justonemoregame wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:This question is stupid and this thread is pointless.


Yeah there was a thread similar to this last year - the answers were mostly a function of what people were able to do, rather than what they were willing to do. It's easy to say you wouldn't accept less than what you already have.


Whenever a question like this is posed, you get a bunch of people with CCN acceptances or MVP $$ proudly claiming they would never go to Georgetown, as though they were completely unable to conceive of themselves as being in a worse position. Are you guys saying that if you got rejected from everywhere from Georgetown, you'd go out into the world with a $40-60k job, even if Georgetown gave you a significant scholarship?

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby justonemoregame » Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 am

Disclaimer: attending Georgetown in the fall

Might GU's numbers look better if we knew more about FT Gov/PI employment figures? Presumably a lot of these are PSLF and LRAP-covered, and Georgetown places like 25% of the class into those jobs, which I think is significantly ahead of other T-14s.

I suppose I can get the knock on their biglaw/fed clerk numbers, but it seems like self-selection would make up a chunk of that ground as well.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby sinfiery » Wed May 29, 2013 10:37 am

I think it has been stated that although prestigious PI is a unicorn, if you gun for a PD position from the beginning, it seems pretty likely you'll have that job at graduation which falls under plsf.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed May 29, 2013 10:41 am

justonemoregame wrote:Disclaimer: attending Georgetown in the fall

Might GU's numbers look better if we knew more about FT Gov/PI employment figures? Presumably a lot of these are PSLF and LRAP-covered, and Georgetown places like 25% of the class into those jobs, which I think is significantly ahead of other T-14s.

I suppose I can get the knock on their biglaw/fed clerk numbers, but it seems like self-selection would make up a chunk of that ground as well.


The issue is that even the grads who go into firm and clerkships are whiffing. The percentage of firm grads missing out on 250+ is higher than any T14 except for Michigan, and the percent of clerkship grads missing out on federal clerkships is really high--significantly higher than a lot of non-T14s. For those who are gunning for Biglaw/clerkships, there's a certain "God forbid you finish below median" aspect to it.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:This question is stupid and this thread is pointless.


Yeah there was a thread similar to this last year - the answers were mostly a function of what people were able to do, rather than what they were willing to do. It's easy to say you wouldn't accept less than what you already have.


Whenever a question like this is posed, you get a bunch of people with CCN acceptances or MVP $$ proudly claiming they would never go to Georgetown, as though they were completely unable to conceive of themselves as being in a worse position. Are you guys saying that if you got rejected from everywhere from Georgetown, you'd go out into the world with a $40-60k job, even if Georgetown gave you a significant scholarship?


FWIW, I too would likely not attend Georgetown at this point, so I can defend the reasoning. Its not an unreasonable statement. In no universe if you applied broadly would GULC be your only option, even if its your only T14. I would take USC or UCLA with $$ over Georgetown. I would go to UMN full ride over Georgetown sticker since I know I could go to Dorsey afterwards via family ties. This isnt about CCN. I like Cornblatt and Georgetowns freshmen core and a lot of their ideas, but the class size is too big and there is no universe where that would be my top choice (full ride at GULC vs sticker at UCLA being a statistical impossibility)

CTT
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby CTT » Wed May 29, 2013 2:58 pm

-
Last edited by CTT on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby mr.hands » Wed May 29, 2013 5:18 pm

This is an arbitrary/silly thread for the most part. Nonetheless, i'll play.

YHS: Sticker
Columbia - $200k
Chicago - $200k
NYU - $175
Penn - $175
Virginia - $140k
Berkeley - $90k (don't want to be in California)
Michigan - $120k
Duke - $150k
NU - $150k
Cornell - $140k
GULC - $90k

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby Robespierre » Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I see what you're going for, but since it varies by goals, geographic preference, method of payment (parents/savings/ect.), ect. I'm not sure any one figure could describe the value of a JD from these schools.

FWIW I think sticker at YHS, $200-225K (or maybe sticker under certain conditions) at CCNP, and $150K or below at the rest. this is only my opinion and I do not intend to represent any collective wisdom


Bolded is correct. There's no one answer; only a different answer for each individual.

For me, given my personal circumstances (parents can pay most of tuition; aiming for NYC Biglaw; extreme splitter lucky to get into any T14), the answer was: sticker for any.

In other words, while the cost of LS is spiralling out of control, I don't think we've yet reached the point where we can say "this T14 at sticker is objectively a bad choice for everyone."

User avatar
porch
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: How much is it worth? T-14 Edition

Postby porch » Thu May 30, 2013 11:29 am

GeorgeTTTown- you'd have to pay me.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest