NYU LLM or JD ?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
inspectorfletch

NYU LLM or JD ?

Postby inspectorfletch » Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am

Hi, my current law school has a partnership program and i am eligible to go to NYU for either a full JD from there or a LLM, and i will also be getting a JD from my current law school (top 5 in the world, its not in the US or the UK)
but i want to qualify to practice big law in the us, preferrably texas as i have family there.
What would give me the best chance for a shot at a big law firm in texas? the JD program will take 4 years for the two JD's from both my school and NYU, and tuition at nyu will total to about 60 grand over the course of the two years, + living expenses, but my countries government will give me a sort of stipend to help me with the cost of living and what not. Or, i could go for the 1 year LLM, but i have no clue if it would even be of any help?
any input is appreciated guys, thanks :)

yodamiked

Re: NYU LLM or JD ?

Postby yodamiked » Mon May 27, 2013 7:49 am

inspectorfletch wrote:Hi, my current law school has a partnership program and i am eligible to go to NYU for either a full JD from there or a LLM, and i will also be getting a JD from my current law school (top 5 in the world, its not in the US or the UK)
but i want to qualify to practice big law in the us, preferrably texas as i have family there.
What would give me the best chance for a shot at a big law firm in texas? the JD program will take 4 years for the two JD's from both my school and NYU, and tuition at nyu will total to about 60 grand over the course of the two years, + living expenses, but my countries government will give me a sort of stipend to help me with the cost of living and what not. Or, i could go for the 1 year LLM, but i have no clue if it would even be of any help?
any input is appreciated guys, thanks :)

As far my understanding goes, an LLM won't qualify you to sit for the bar and then practice law in the US, whereas an American JD will.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon May 27, 2013 9:07 am

Foreigner LLMs regularly take the bar

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Mon May 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Not all states will accept an LLM to sit for the bar. LSAC has a link to the different bar admissions offices and suggests contacting the appropriate one for the state you wish to practice in.

http://www.lsac.org/llm/degree/llm-key-facts.asp

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon May 27, 2013 7:05 pm

kwais wrote:Foreigner LLMs regularly take the bar

not in texas

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 pm

JD if you can participate in OCI.

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon May 27, 2013 10:52 pm

I assume you're at Melbourne? I'd like to know a bit more about why you started out there, how much tuition you've already paid, why you're making the switch, whether Texas is a dealbreaker, and whether any visa issues will be in play. If you haven't already started at Melbourne though, I would forego that degree altogether, as it seems like a waste of money given your goals.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:40 am

banjo wrote:I assume you're at Melbourne? I'd like to know a bit more about why you started out there, how much tuition you've already paid, why you're making the switch, whether Texas is a dealbreaker, and whether any visa issues will be in play. If you haven't already started at Melbourne though, I would forego that degree altogether, as it seems like a waste of money given your goals.

+1

inspectorfletch

Postby inspectorfletch » Tue May 28, 2013 6:03 am

I started out at Melbourne because I did my last two years of high school here, and my entrance scores were high enough that i got a guaranteed place at the universities JD program after I completed my bachelors. I haven't paid anything for my degree yet because the government pays for most of the degree and the rest is put on a 0 interest loan which we pay back after we reach a certain earnings threshold. Therefor I haven't paid any tuition yet. It isn't a switch so to speak, at the end of second year at the Melbourne JD, I move to NY and do 2 years there, then i get awarded JDs from both universities. I'm not a US citizen anymore, nor was I born there. I want to work in Texas because I have been there many times to visit family, on exchange, and I just generally love the place. Also cost of living is lower there :D I have no clue yet as to what visas I will need to get if I decide to go, at the moment I'm still tossing up whether to go or not. But NYU is a top 5 law school and if I eventually want to work in the states it would be very handy to have on my resume.

Thanks in advance.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 28, 2013 9:39 am

I just graduated from NYU and it seemed to me that most of the foreign LLMs were having a lot of difficulty finding jobs in the U.S. I would not do the LLM unless you have an employer abroad paying for it. It may be useful for working elsewhere, and it's a way to get yourself eligible to practice in the U.S. if you are already an attractive candidate to employers here, but it seems to me that only applies to people with specialized language skills (especially Chinese) or technical skills that are useful to IP work (chemistry PhDs, etc.).

So if you have the choice and want to work in the U.S. I would strongly advise you to get the JD.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue May 28, 2013 12:00 pm

inspectorfletch wrote:I started out at Melbourne because I did my last two years of high school here, and my entrance scores were high enough that i got a guaranteed place at the universities JD program after I completed my bachelors. I haven't paid anything for my degree yet because the government pays for most of the degree and the rest is put on a 0 interest loan which we pay back after we reach a certain earnings threshold. Therefor I haven't paid any tuition yet. It isn't a switch so to speak, at the end of second year at the Melbourne JD, I move to NY and do 2 years there, then i get awarded JDs from both universities. I'm not a US citizen anymore, nor was I born there. I want to work in Texas because I have been there many times to visit family, on exchange, and I just generally love the place. Also cost of living is lower there :D I have no clue yet as to what visas I will need to get if I decide to go, at the moment I'm still tossing up whether to go or not. But NYU is a top 5 law school and if I eventually want to work in the states it would be very handy to have on my resume.

Thanks in advance.

I think the dual-JD makes sense given your goals and circumstances. Issues I would watch out for / research:

1) OCI mechanics/timing, especially given that Melbourne starts its program in the spring term
2) Financing tuition/COL in the US
3) Visa issues. What happens if you strike out at OCI? Could you still look for work in Australia?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue May 28, 2013 4:09 pm

inspectorfletch wrote:I haven't paid anything for my degree yet because the government pays for most of the degree and the rest is put on a 0 interest loan which we pay back after we reach a certain earnings threshold.

so..much...jealousy..

inspectorfletch

Postby inspectorfletch » Thu May 30, 2013 12:47 am

thanks guys i think ill look into doing the double JD, thanks :)

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 pm

If you have an LLM and you're from a foreign country, you're eligible to take the bar in California and can then practice federal law, like immigration etcetera. Unfortunately, the pass rate is only 15%, so it's not a good bet.

jdb2013

Postby jdb2013 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 am

inspectorfletch wrote:thanks guys i think ill look into doing the double JD, thanks :)

Do you know if melbourne considers nz citizenship an international applicant? and if this would then allow that person to do the same nyu jd program? (also have u.s. citizenship)

AprilLau

Postby AprilLau » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:18 pm

:D Hi, I just got the offer from UMel JD this year. Actually I'm still struggling whether to go. Could you tell me how you feel about JD study there?

blueapple

Postby blueapple » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:29 pm

AprilLau wrote::D Hi, I just got the offer from UMel JD this year. Actually I'm still struggling whether to go. Could you tell me how you feel about JD study there?

The OP was last active on this site in 2014 so you are unlikely to get a response.

AprilLau

Postby AprilLau » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:16 am

blueapple wrote:
AprilLau wrote::D Hi, I just got the offer from UMel JD this year. Actually I'm still struggling whether to go. Could you tell me how you feel about JD study there?

The OP was last active on this site in 2014 so you are unlikely to get a response.

Yeah....seems u r right

blueapple

Postby blueapple » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:33 am

AprilLau wrote:
blueapple wrote:

Yeah....seems u r right

There's a Non-US Law Schools forum so you might try posting there (viewforum.php?f=42), or at least start a new topic in the Choosing a Law School forum. Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”