Deferral, I don't know what to do

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Poll ended at Fri May 31, 2013 7:06 pm

Defer at UVA
7%
Crazy? suck it up and go to Harvard
89%
Re-take
4%
Re-apply without re-take
No votes

Total votes: 54

0831kf

Deferral, I don't know what to do

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 7:06 pm

I don't want to be an a-hole, but I got a lot of help from my previous post. So, here I go again. I need you guys' opinions again. I was going to contact admission office on Tuesday, but I figured the answer out already. It was all in the admission webpage. You can see detail of my story here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21008

Long story short, I got off Harvard waitlist. H doesn't let me defer. UVA will let me; however, it is binding (COA will be 0). I really would like to spend a year in my mother country, although I guess I can suck it up for my career. I left that country to come to US anyway.

I took LSAT only once, but with more than 1 year of studying. I don't know if I can bring that score any higher than 173. Right now, I'm thinking about deferring at UVA and just go there next year. Am I being crazy? Should I just suck it up and spend sweet 3 months there and go to Harvard? (I'm leaving on Wednesday) Or should I re-take LSAT for HY? Or, just re-apply without re-take, with more softs?

It will be few sleepless nights.... damn...... Just like last time, I probably would listen to majority consensus. I was leaning toward more UVA but the 90+% of forum chose Harvard. Give me honest opinion guys.

Typhoon24

Re: Deferral, I don't know what to do

Postby Typhoon24 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:11 pm

you suffered enough with the lsat and got a magnificent score, so im not gonna ask you to retake. In this case, I think 3 months in your mother country + harvard is the best choice.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun May 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Don't be an idiot. Go to Harvard. Going home for a year isn't going to improve your career. Going to Harvard over UVa will.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun May 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I think I would opt for Harvard, but I can see why this is tough for you. But I haven't lived your experiences, so whatever I say (and whatever anyone else says) doesn't really count for much. The most we can do here is help clarify the options and speculate as to the ramifications of choosing one over others. The weight one factor deserves against another is to a significant degree a personal assessment that only you can make.

With YRP, Harvard would leave you with quite a bit less than $100K of debt, right? I don't think I would be able to pass that up. But, of course, NYU with zero debt is pretty amazing as well.

I'll just lay out your main options and give my thoughts on them. In one case (one that hasn't been mentioned in the other thread), I have no idea what the practical consequences would be; maybe someone else here does.

(1) Attend H this year.

Pretty straightforward as to pros and cons. Your best school option by a significant amount, but no one-year trip. Biggest pro and biggest con.

(2) Withdraw and reapply with no retake.

You're obviously not going to be a lock at H if you're in off the WL this year. Significant risk here. What is your GPA? If it's not above a 3.9, you have essentially zero chance at Y with a 173. I think you would likely be admitted again at NYU, but who knows what yield-hypersensitive UVA would do (though I would never even consider UVA if you can have NYU at equal cost).

(3) Withdraw and reapply with one or two retakes.

If you had been consistently scoring 178+ on PTs leading up to the test, then retaking might be something to think about. If 173 was close to your average after a year of studying, then counting on a higher score from a retake is probably not a great plan. In which case, see (2).

(4) Attend H this year and take a one-year leave of absence after 1L or 2L year.

I have no idea what the consequences of this would be for employment, etc. A 3L friend of mine at YLS took a year off after her 2L year, and she has a great job lined up, but she had significant work experience before law school and is not even going to be a practicing attorney. So her results don't mean much for you. Also not sure how easily leaves are obtained at H. YLS gives them no-questions-asked, but I'm not familiar with any other school's policy.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Ti Malice wrote:I think I would opt for Harvard, but I can see why this is tough for you. But I haven't lived your experiences, so whatever I say (and whatever anyone else says) doesn't really count for much. The most we can do here is help clarify the options and speculate as to the ramifications of choosing one over others. The weight one factor deserves against another is to a significant degree a personal assessment that only you can make.

With YRP, Harvard would leave you with quite a bit less than $100K of debt, right? I don't think I would be able to pass that up. But, of course, NYU with zero debt is pretty amazing as well.

I'll just lay out your main options and give my thoughts on them. In one case (one that hasn't been mentioned in the other thread), I have no idea what the practical consequences would be; maybe someone else here does.

(1) Attend H this year.

Pretty straightforward as to pros and cons. Your best school option by a significant amount, but no one-year trip. Biggest pro and biggest con.

(2) Withdraw and reapply with no retake.

You're obviously not going to be a lock at H if you're in off the WL this year. Significant risk here. What is your GPA? If it's not above a 3.9, you have essentially zero chance at Y with a 173. I think you would likely be admitted again at NYU, but who knows what yield-hypersensitive UVA would do (though I would never even consider UVA if you can have NYU at equal cost).

(3) Withdraw and reapply with one or two retakes.

If you had been consistently scoring 178+ on PTs leading up to the test, then retaking might be something to think about. If 173 was close to your average after a year of studying, then counting on a higher score from a retake is probably not a great plan. In which case, see (2).

(4) Attend H this year and take a one-year leave of absence after 1L or 2L year.

I have no idea what the consequences of this would be for employment, etc. A 3L friend of mine at YLS took a year off after her 2L year, and she has a great job lined up, but she had significant work experience before law school and is not even going to be a practicing attorney. So her results don't mean much for you. Also not sure how easily leaves are obtained at H. YLS gives them no-questions-asked, but I'm not familiar with any other school's policy.

Thank you very much for appreciating my situation, not blindly saying go to Harvard. My GPA is 4.1/4.3, but LSAC doesn't give foreign GPA a number, but a classification. From what I've heard from other international applicants, as long as GPA is not bad, the schools put a lot more weight on LSAT being above median.

That's the problem with LSAT. I rarely scored above 176 on my PTs. My range was 171~175, with a year of studying. I think my best will be 175.

Career goal being getting into Biglaw (with 1 yr of clerking), I was thinking UVA should be fine.

I guess according to your analysis, it's (1). If 90+% choose this option, I guess I'll do it. I mean, I'm not gonna die if I don't live in mother country a year. Plus, there is reason when too many people say same thing. I don't have any friends or family that I can get advice on these things because I'm 1st generation immigrant. Thank you guys.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun May 26, 2013 8:10 pm

As has been pointed out, if you're in off the waitlist, you weren't a lock. Think a really, really, REALLY long time before you give up a spot at Harvard.

Harvard means you basically get to do whatever you want career-wise. You want Biglaw? You got it. PI? Sure. A decent clerkship? You bet. Along with Yale grads, Harvard grads are first in line for anything for the rest of their lives. What on earth would you possibly risk that for?

I don't know why you want to spend a year in your mother country, but I will point out that a) You're young and you have to know that it would be a extraordinarily impulsive decision to do so and b) The odds of you regretting giving up a Harvard spot are way, way, way greater than the odds of you regretting taking the year abroad.

The only reasons I could possibly think to leave the country instead of go to Harvard would be a) I had a significant other who was out of the country, or b) I had a six-figure job lined up out of the country. Anything else isn't worth it.

If a 90% vote didn't convince you before, I doubt I will now. But on behalf of everyone on TLS: GO TO HARVARD. It's one of the best investments a person can possibly make.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:As has been pointed out, if you're in off the waitlist, you weren't a lock. Think a really, really, REALLY long time before you give up a spot at Harvard.

Harvard means you basically get to do whatever you want career-wise. You want Biglaw? You got it. PI? Sure. A decent clerkship? You bet. Along with Yale grads, Harvard grads are first in line for anything for the rest of their lives. What on earth would you possibly risk that for?

I don't know why you want to spend a year in your mother country, but I will point out that a) You're young and you have to know that it would be a extraordinarily impulsive decision to do so and b) The odds of you regretting giving up a Harvard spot are way, way, way greater than the odds of you regretting taking the year abroad.

The only reasons I could possibly think to leave the country instead of go to Harvard would be a) I had a significant other who was out of the country, or b) I had a six-figure job lined up out of the country. Anything else isn't worth it.

If a 90% vote didn't convince you before, I doubt I will now. But on behalf of everyone on TLS: GO TO HARVARD. It's one of the best investments a person can possibly make.

Oh, no 90% vote convinced me before. I was set on going to UVA. If I go to LS this year, it's definitely Harvard. This is a different question. I'm talking about deferral.

I guess I just don't have grasp of Harvard power, since I did not grow up in the US. And, neither I have SO in mother country nor have 6 digit job lined up. I guess you're right.

But if you haven't served your country for 5 years losing your freedom of where you want to be, what you want to do, and risking your life in the battlefield,,, you don't know how bad I want to spend a year in my mother country. But for my career's sake, I guess I'll suck it up. You convinced me on career goal, because that's why I came to US to begin with. To live a better life. Thank you all, I don't see anyone who voted against taking Harvard yet. Unless it changes dramatically (I doubt it), I will listen to you guys. I'll enjoy my sweetest 3 months back home and go to Boston. Thank you all for advice.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun May 26, 2013 8:32 pm

0831kf wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:As has been pointed out, if you're in off the waitlist, you weren't a lock. Think a really, really, REALLY long time before you give up a spot at Harvard.

Oh, no 90% vote convinced me before. I was set on going to UVA. If I go to LS this year, it's definitely Harvard. This is a different question. I'm talking about deferral.

I guess I just don't have grasp of Harvard power, since I did not grow up in the US. And, neither I have SO in mother country nor have 6 digit job lined up. I guess you're right.

But if you haven't served your country for 5 years losing your freedom of where you want to be, what you want to do, and risking your life in the battlefield,,, you don't know how bad I want to spend a year in my mother country. But for my career's sake, I guess I'll suck it up. You convinced me on career goal, because that's why I came to US to begin with. To live a better life. Thank you all, I don't see anyone who voted against taking Harvard yet. Unless it changes dramatically (I doubt it), I will listen to you guys. I'll enjoy my sweetest 3 months back home and go to Boston. Thank you all for advice.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm telling you there's no possible valid reason for you wanting to spend a year in your country. As a person who very much wishes he could return to his home country right now, I'm sympathetic. Only you really know how much you want to go back.

That said, Harvard is a rare opportunity. So my advice would be to take some time to think about it. As I said, I would think really, really hard before I passed up a shot at Harvard, and I invite you to ask those who know better than me the opportunity it provides. But if you think it over very hard and at the end, you really believe that taking the year in your country is the right thing to do? Then do it. You're not required to go to Harvard this year if you really, really, really don't believe it's the best thing for your life.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
0831kf wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:That said, Harvard is a rare opportunity. So my advice would be to take some time to think about it. As I said, I would think really, really hard before I passed up a shot at Harvard, and I invite you to ask those who know better than me the opportunity it provides. But if you think it over very hard and at the end, you really believe that taking the year in your country is the right thing to do? Then do it. You're not required to go to Harvard this year if you really, really, really don't believe it's the best thing for your life.

I guess I'm very impulsive (5 yrs of military life, with two deployments make you VERY impulsive)
No, like I said, I came to US to live a better life. I risked my life for the sake of my career. Suffering a year at home for better career is way easier decision than chance of losing your life, you know. Thank you though. Essentially, you are the one who convinced me. A lot of other people just made me feel so dumb, not taking Harvard, but you actually gave me very good reason why I should take it. And I will, unless when I go back home and become impulsive again. Even then, I'll re-read your post and think long and hard. Thank you very much.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 pm

0831kf wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
0831kf wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:That said, Harvard is a rare opportunity. So my advice would be to take some time to think about it. As I said, I would think really, really hard before I passed up a shot at Harvard, and I invite you to ask those who know better than me the opportunity it provides. But if you think it over very hard and at the end, you really believe that taking the year in your country is the right thing to do? Then do it. You're not required to go to Harvard this year if you really, really, really don't believe it's the best thing for your life.

I guess I'm very impulsive (5 yrs of military life, with two deployments make you VERY impulsive)
No, like I said, I came to US to live a better life. I risked my life for the sake of my career. Suffering a year at home for better career is way easier decision than chance of losing your life, you know. Thank you though. Essentially, you are the one who convinced me. A lot of other people just made me feel so dumb, not taking Harvard, but you actually gave me very good reason why I should take it. And I will, unless when I go back home and become impulsive again. Even then, I'll re-read your post and think long and hard. Thank you very much.

I'm sorry if I said don't be an idiot and that made you feel stupid. It is just an expression mt family uses. It isn't literal.

You got into a Harvard off the wait list which means you can't count on getting in next year. You shouldn't turn your back on this chance. You may not get it again. If you are committed to your career as a lawyer, you should not turn away the best shot you will ever have at a solid career.

But at the same time if you go to Harvard, go fully committed to dedicate yourself to your career. You have to focus. Take the challenge of Harvard and do your best.

I am not a very flexible person and I resist adapting to changed plans and circumstances. I also tend to play out every possible angle and second guess myself. This is not the best way to live. I recommend that you make a choice and commit to it.

You can go home for a few months and come back for school. Who knows you may not want to spend an entire year once you get there.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 9:35 pm

NYstate wrote:I'm sorry if I said don't be an idiot and that made you feel stupid. It is just an expression mt family uses. It isn't literal.

You got into a Harvard off the wait list which means you can't count on getting in next year. You shouldn't turn your back on this chance. You may not get it again. If you are committed to your career as a lawyer, you should not turn away the best shot you will ever have at a solid career.

But at the same time if you go to Harvard, go fully committed to dedicate yourself to your career. You have to focus. Take the challenge of Harvard and do your best.

I am not a very flexible person and I resist adapting to changed plans and circumstances. I also tend to play out every possible angle and second guess myself. This is not the best way to live. I recommend that you make a choice and commit to it.

You can go home for a few months and come back for school. Who knows you may not want to spend an entire year once you get there.

Yeah, no problem. Online languages can be more offensive, because we don't sense it I guess.

On commitment issue, I'm seriously committed. If I wasn't, I probably couldn't get 173 studying during military life, when all of my other fellow soldiers mocked me for studying for an exam, not partying, not drinking over the weekend because I had to put my time to study. My initial diagnostic was 154. I really studied my ass off. Plus, if not for GI Bill, I wasn't going to join, which I risked my life for going to law school near debt free. I think I'm seriously committed to being a lawyer more than almost anyone here. I'm sorry I got a bit defensive. I just want a year off at home.

However, I'll take your advice on impulsiveness. Yes, I have few excuses. When you see people dying either from bomb attack or disease, I bet anyone can and will be impulsive. That's why we have so many PTSD people after deployment. But I'm going back to civilian life and will be a lawyer. I'll take your suggestion on this and improve myself. Thanks.
Last edited by 0831kf on Sun May 26, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun May 26, 2013 9:50 pm

0831kf wrote:
NYstate wrote:I'm sorry if I said don't be an idiot and that made you feel stupid. It is just an expression mt family uses. It isn't literal.

Yeah, no problem. Online languages can be more offensive, because we don't sense it I guess.

On commitment issue, I'm seriously committed. If I wasn't, I probably couldn't get 173 studying during military life, when all of my other fellow soldiers mocked me for studying for an exam, not partying, not drinking over the weekend because I had to put my time to study. Plus, if not for GI Bill, I wasn't going to join, which I risked my life for going to law school near debt free. I think I'm seriously committed to being a lawyer more than almost anyone here. I just want a year off.

However, I'll take your advice on impulsiveness. Yes, I have few excuses. When you see people dying either from bomb attack or disease, I bet anyone can and will be impulsive. That's why we have so many PTSD peopwle after deployment. But I'm going back to civilian life and will be a lawyer. I'll take your suggestion on this and improve myself. Thanks.

I believe in your commitment. I just hate to see you give up Harvard and the benefits you will gain from Harvard. I think you can be very successful at Harvard.

But make sure you are ready. You've mentioned the difficult things you've experienced. I hope you feel psychologically ready for law school. I think you can do it. Maybe being in a school environment with a future will be a good thing.

My neighbor has PTSD to the extent he is partially disabled. He has found help through some programs for veterans. But he still has difficulties on national holidays like Memorial Day. I know it isn't easy and it is difficult for civilians to completely understand.

Good luck. What you have already accomplished is impressive for anyone. You know a Harvard acceptance is extremely competitive. And I sincerely thank you for your service too. I wish you all the best.

One more thing: you might consider asking Harvard what they advise. Don't just assume the policy of no deferrals can't be changed for a good reason. It may not be but you can at least broach your thought with them. Once your in, they may be willing to listen to your thoughts and give you solid advice. The worst that could happen is they say no to any deferral. I'm not convinced you need an entire year, but only you can decide. They can help advise you with this decision.
Last edited by NYstate on Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 9:57 pm

NYstate wrote:
I believe in your commitment. I just hate to see you give up Harvard and the benefits you will gain from Harvard.

But make sure you are ready. You've mentioned the difficult things you've experienced. I hope you feel psychologically ready for law school. I think you can do it. Maybe being in a school environment with a future will be a good thing.

My neighbor has PTSD to the extent he is partially disabled. He has found help through some programs for veterans. But he still has difficulties on national holidays like Memorial Day. I know it isn't easy and it is difficult for civilians to completely understand.

Good luck. What you have already accomplished is impressive for anyone. You know a Harvard acceptance is extremely competitive. And I sincerely thank you for your service too. I wish you all the best.

I'm sorry I got a bit defensive when you sounded like questioning my commitment. I apologize.

Yes, I'm slightly worried that I might not adjust back to civilian life quite well yet. That was another big reason I wanted a year off at home and adjust myself back. I don't have serious PTSD, but anyone who's been at war has some kind of PTSD, just different degree. I guess 3 months should be enough though. Like you said, I might hate staying a year there when I am already adjusted to US life.

Thank you for your sincere advice and good luck to you as well.

eph

Postby eph » Sun May 26, 2013 10:02 pm

when all of my other fellow soldiers mocked me for studying for an exam, not partying, not drinking over the weekend

Nice depiction of the military here on Memorial Day Weekend. You are not real.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sun May 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Would you be able to bypass going home, and just use some loan money to ship some food that's unique to your country to get to vicariously experience it for a few hours? IDK what your mother country is but I'm sure your classmates wouldn't mind sharing.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 10:17 pm

eph wrote:
when all of my other fellow soldiers mocked me for studying for an exam, not partying, not drinking over the weekend

Haha, you've not been a soldier. Do you know what single soldiers do when we're not working? One of the three things. 1) Drinking, 2) drinking and fxxing, or 3) drinking, fxxing and getting in trouble for sexual assault or STDs. Ask anyone who's served. It's to relieve stress though. Some crazy soldiers either 1)study for the future (my case), 2) work out like hell to be a monster (I mean, a serious monster, with huge muscles and ability to run 10~12 miles straight)

bananapeanutbutter wrote:Would you be able to bypass going home, and just use some loan money to ship some food that's unique to your country to get to vicariously experience it for a few hours? IDK what your mother country is but I'm sure your classmates wouldn't mind sharing.

I don't want to reveal it for privacy purposes. It's somewhere in Asia (definitely not Afghanistan and near). In NYC and DC, there are a lot of places that sell my home food, not too much expensive either. I don't know about Boston, but since it's quite a big city, I guess there will be few places. Thanks though.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Go to Harvard. It is the right move. I know people from UVA with no job lined up. Your COA for Harvard is amazing. Just go.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun May 26, 2013 10:44 pm

I think Ti Malice's idea of going to Harvard and taking a year off after 1L or 2L might be the right way to go.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun May 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Chard, you should most definitely go to Harvard this year.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sun May 26, 2013 10:51 pm

0831kf wrote:
eph wrote:

Haha, you've not been a soldier. Do you know what single soldiers do when we're not working? One of the three things. 1) Drinking, 2) drinking and fxxing, or 3) drinking, fxxing and getting in trouble for sexual assault or STDs. Ask anyone who's served. It's to relieve stress though. Some crazy soldiers either 1)study for the future (my case), 2) work out like hell to be a monster (I mean, a serious monster, with huge muscles and ability to run 10~12 miles straight)

bananapeanutbutter wrote:Would you be able to bypass going home, and just use some loan money to ship some food that's unique to your country to get to vicariously experience it for a few hours? IDK what your mother country is but I'm sure your classmates wouldn't mind sharing.

I don't want to reveal it for privacy purposes. It's somewhere in Asia (definitely not Afghanistan and near). In NYC and DC, there are a lot of places that sell my home food, not too much expensive either. I don't know about Boston, but since it's quite a big city, I guess there will be few places. Thanks though.

Google it. Prob does. Boston is big and multicultured too.

syd625

Postby syd625 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:12 am

First off, thanks for your service and congrats on two great options! I'm a 0L, so I'm probably completely unqualified to offer advice, but I voted Harvard. At that price, in most cases, it's a no-brainer. Obviously, your situation is drastically different than most, but I still think it's the best choice for your future. If your heart is set on a year in your home country, I would contact Harvard if you haven't already and plead your case for a deferral. They may say that they can't make an exemption, but at least you'll know that you tried. Edit: Just read that contacted them and will find out, so never mind that last bit.

I wanted to add a few things on a personal note as well. I don't know anything about your experience serving, and no one can predict what transitioning back to civilian life will be like for you. However, sometimes having a routine/plans can be a good thing. After three tours, my boyfriend spent a month unwinding and found that getting back to his normally-paced life after that month really helped him mentally. Additionally, I did my undergrad at Harvard, and they have a great mental health department (it's free and unlimited visits) at the university's health center (HUHS) if you ever want/need to talk. They were wonderful when I was dealing with my boyfriend's deployments. Obviously, you would have other resources available that might be better suited for combat veterans, but HUHS is located across the street from Harvard Yard so it's really convenient and it's staffed by great people. Also, Boston has pretty much every type of cuisine under the sun, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

Best of luck with your decision!

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 28, 2013 9:44 am

How much is Harvard going to cost? This is important and I haven't seen you confirm it. If it is indeed less than $100k then you should go, in my opinion.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue May 28, 2013 3:10 pm

You're in a lucky predicament; you really can't go wrong with any of those options. UVA for free is a bargain, while admission to Harvard is in itself a spectacular feat. My opinion: even if it isn't cheaper than $100k, go to Harvard.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Tue May 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanx everyone. I talked to the offices today. I will be attending for free for 1L. For 2L and 3L, they are not sure but it's likely to be free. Harvard has been very generous to veterans over the last few years, and they've told me it's probably going to be that way. So, it's out of question. HLS for free (worst case $60K). Who would refuse such a thing if you want to be a lawyer?

Unless I become insane or die (I hope not, I survived in Afghanistan) back home (I leave tomorrow morning), I will be at Boston this Fall. Thank you guys. I'm about to enjoy the sweetest 3 months of my life. Thank you all for advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”