Harvard ($100K) vs UVA (near 0)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Harvard vs UVA

Poll ended at Thu May 30, 2013 2:03 am

Harvard ($100K)
89%
UVA (near 0)
11%

Total votes: 131

UnicornHunter

Re: Harvard ($100K) vs UVA (near 0)

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat May 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Not saying you should choose NYU over Harvard, but NYU also covers 100% of COA with the YRP. If you really wanted to defer a year and couldn't get Harvard to let you do so, that may be a good option. I'd pick Harvard, but could totally see why you'd want to spend a year at home, like you said, probably your last chance to do so.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat May 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Defer. That would be a year well spent in my book.

Edit: RC fail. Missed the bit about getting in off the WL.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sat May 25, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat May 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Harvard, and it's not even close. Paying ~$100k for one of the best legal educations in the world is a bargain.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat May 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Harvard is generous with deferrals as long as you're not off the waitlist

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Sat May 25, 2013 2:37 pm

The only people who voted UVA must be holding out hope to get off Harvard's waitlist.
Last edited by shifty_eyed on Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:The only people who voted UVA most be holding out hope to get off Harvard's waitlist.

Lol seriously.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat May 25, 2013 2:41 pm

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sat May 25, 2013 3:27 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:Not saying you should choose NYU over Harvard, but NYU also covers 100% of COA with the YRP. If you really wanted to defer a year and couldn't get Harvard to let you do so, that may be a good option. I'd pick Harvard, but could totally see why you'd want to spend a year at home, like you said, probably your last chance to do so.

Really? Good thing I deposited... If that's the case, if Harvard doesn't let me, I will defer at both NYU and UVA, then apply to HY this fall (Deferrals are not binding, right?). I guess I still have room for improvement with my LSAT, which might give me chance again. If not, oh well, NYU or UVA is awesome with zero debt.

I just talked to my mom this morning and she would love for me to defer to live with her a year. I would be too, this probably will be my last chance to live there.

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:The only people who voted UVA most be holding out hope to get off Harvard's waitlist.

Lol seriously.

really? wow...;;; I see 3 people now! I still wouldn't call it crazy to pick UVA here. If you haven't been poor, you don't have fear of having that much debt... I have been poor for a long time and I do know what it feels like... unfortunately. Never ever ever want to go back to such life, not especially for my future family.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat May 25, 2013 3:30 pm

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sat May 25, 2013 3:31 pm

sublime wrote:My understanding is that most deferrals are binding. Don't defer anywhere besides Harvard.

... I guess I'll find out on Tuesday. Thank you for the advice, all of you.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat May 25, 2013 3:36 pm

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sat May 25, 2013 3:50 pm

sublime wrote:I need to enlist.

Haha...... Well, it worked out awesome for me, but some of days and nights in Afghanistan really really sucked...... Honestly, so glad I'm alive in one piece. Few of my fellow soldiers died and that changes your life.

Don't enlist just for GI Bill. If there is something else you might find rewarding, or are willing to sacrifice, then do it!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Harvard

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:00 pm

0831kf wrote:

Haha...... Well, it worked out awesome for me, but some of days and nights in Afghanistan really really sucked...... Honestly, so glad I'm alive in one piece. Few of my fellow soldiers died and that changes your life.

Don't enlist just for GI Bill. If there is something else you might find rewarding, or are willing to sacrifice, then do it!

^ And this is why we have the GI Bill and other benefits given to our vets. We should have way more IMO.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat May 25, 2013 4:58 pm

0831kf wrote:

+10000

The GI bill is a great benefit, especially when paired with instate tuition (UVA) or YRP (NYU, Harvard, CLS, etc...). However, it is NOT a good reason to enlist/commission unless you have other reasons to serve. Even in garrison, the military lifestyle is not easy and being deployed will change your life, and there is certainly no guarantee that it will be for the best.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sat May 25, 2013 5:47 pm

bruin91 wrote:
0831kf wrote:

^ And this is why we have the GI Bill and other benefits given to our vets. We should have way more IMO.

Thank you for saying that, but I really appreciate taxpayers for my opportunity. I believe I am receiving more from America than what I gave to America. Thank you.

The only thing I might say is increasing life insurance pay amount, which is $500K right now. I mean, it's your life. It really can't be quantified, I know. However, his/her surviving family will suffer for the rest of their lives. I think they deserve more than $500K.

In every other aspect, financially, socially, and healthily(?), I think soldiers receive fair amount for their services (although they don't feel that way).

Jkeenan68R

Postby Jkeenan68R » Sat May 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Have you seriously not looked into the yellow ribbon program? Their are many law schools from the t14 down to the fourth tier that offer free tuition down to seriously reduced tuition even before scholarships that are offered through your prospective law school. Harvard will match 20k a year on top of the roughly 18k that the GI Bill pays out which means that you should go to Havard in a heartbeat.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat May 25, 2013 8:24 pm

0831kf wrote:
AfghanTourist wrote:Not saying you should choose NYU over Harvard, but NYU also covers 100% of COA with the YRP. If you really wanted to defer a year and couldn't get Harvard to let you do so, that may be a good option. I'd pick Harvard, but could totally see why you'd want to spend a year at home, like you said, probably your last chance to do so.

Really? Good thing I deposited... If that's the case, if Harvard doesn't let me, I will defer at both NYU and UVA, then apply to HY this fall (Deferrals are not binding, right?). I guess I still have room for improvement with my LSAT, which might give me chance again. If not, oh well, NYU or UVA is awesome with zero debt.

I just talked to my mom this morning and she would love for me to defer to live with her a year. I would be too, this probably will be my last chance to live there.

Clearlynotstefan wrote:

Lol seriously.

really? wow...;;; I see 3 people now! I still wouldn't call it crazy to pick UVA here. If you haven't been poor, you don't have fear of having that much debt... I have been poor for a long time and I do know what it feels like... unfortunately. Never ever ever want to go back to such life, not especially for my future family.

I don't think you'd be allowed to defer at multiple schools, even if nonbinding.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 am

Yeah, I was reading deferral policy, most of them are binding anyway.

Assuming Harvard does not let me (I'll find out on Tuesday, and if H let me, there's no point of this question), would you guys call me crazy if I turn Harvard down and re-apply this Fall, to go back to mother country for a year? I'm really debating right now. I bought a ticket to go back in few days. I don't know if I should come back this Fall (3 months of staying there and be satisfied with 3 months) or next Fall.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun May 26, 2013 8:57 am

0831kf wrote:Yeah, I was reading deferral policy, most of them are binding anyway.

Assuming Harvard does not let me (I'll find out on Tuesday, and if H let me, there's no point of this question), would you guys call me crazy if I turn Harvard down and re-apply this Fall, to go back to mother country for a year? I'm really debating right now. I bought a ticket to go back in few days. I don't know if I should come back this Fall (3 months of staying there and be satisfied with 3 months) or next Fall.

That's a tough decision. I think since you got in off the WL, I would be wary of reapplying being resulting in the same option for Harvard. I would go to Harvard if they don't let you defer.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sun May 26, 2013 9:04 am

ImNoScar wrote:
0831kf wrote:Yeah, I was reading deferral policy, most of them are binding anyway.

That's a tough decision. I think since you got in off the WL, I would be wary of reapplying being resulting in the same option for Harvard. I would go to Harvard if they don't let you defer.

Yes, I know that I just got off waitlist, meaning my chance of re-admission is pretty low. That is why I'm debating it so bad. Honestly, I would be satisfied with either NYU or UVA, but since everyone here has convinced me to take Harvard, it's really tough call. I should pray that H lets me defer. If not....... I'll make decision after few more replys.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun May 26, 2013 11:22 am

If NYU is free too, I would absolutely take the year off. An experience like that is once in a lifetime and worth more than anything Harvard can offer you over another t14 school at zero cost. If you were taking on 270k debt, maybe not because your life may become very difficult if you do, but for free, there is no question. I would go if I were you regardless of what Harvard says.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun May 26, 2013 11:40 am

Harvard, and make sure to ask if you can defer. They're normally very stingy with waitlist deferrals.

titan747

Postby titan747 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:27 pm

I am not intending to hijack the thread, but what is the best school one should attend in a simlar coa situation. For example is Columbia or Duke for free better than Harvard for 100k... etc

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun May 26, 2013 1:31 pm

titan747 wrote:I am not intending to hijack the thread, but what is the best school one should attend in a simlar coa situation. For example is Columbia or Duke for free better than Harvard for 100k... etc

Columbia probably, Duke no

Return to “Choosing a Law School”