Harvard Sticker v. Texas Full-Ride Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Harvard Near-Sticker
54%
Texas Full Tuition and Fees
46%

Total votes: 323

Total Litigator

Silver

Re: Harvard Sticker v. Texas Full-Ride

Post by Total Litigator » Fri May 24, 2013 6:43 pm

How bout Duke with $$$? I imagine this would be good option, as Duke probably has stronger pull than most schools in its rank range, and its Biglaw + Fed clerkship rate is a solid 63%.

OP why didn't you apply to Duke?

ajclark1992

Bronze

Post by ajclark1992 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Total Litigator wrote:How bout Duke with $$$? I imagine this would be good option, as Duke probably has stronger pull than most schools in its rank range, and its Biglaw + Fed clerkship rate is a solid 63%.

OP why didn't you apply to Duke?
I didn't apply because I couldn't see myself, in any circumstance, taking Duke over Texas (also understanding I had a pretty good shot at CCNMVP, and seeing UT as my "scholarship option.") Probably misjudged, seeing as I should have been looking at all "scholarship options" with my undergrad debt.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri May 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Has that changed now? Because MVPDCN give you a much better shot at Texas biglaw with ties than UT and all of them could end up costing maybe 25-40k more than UT.

There's something to be said for where you live for 3 years, but the t14 is the t14 for a reason. Biglaw employment prospects really do become much better.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri May 24, 2013 7:16 pm

UG debt should be treated as a sunk cost IMO. I know in aggregate with H debt it makes a difference, but if you want to be comparing apples to apples you should do so.

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Are people saying Harvard absolutely insane.. Go to Texas or don't go at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri May 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Br3v wrote:UG debt should be treated as a sunk cost IMO. I know in aggregate with H debt it makes a difference, but if you want to be comparing apples to apples you should do so.
This is terrible advice.

ajclark1992

Bronze

Post by ajclark1992 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 pm

sinfiery wrote:Has that changed now? Because MVPDCN give you a much better shot at Texas biglaw with ties than UT and all of them could end up costing maybe 25-40k more than UT.

There's something to be said for where you live for 3 years, but the t14 is the t14 for a reason. Biglaw employment prospects really do become much better.
It has changed...a little bit. My only hang up is that I already tried for MVP -- the only addition would be a year of work experience. I can't see Cornell being too much better than Texas in Texas. N was out of the cards before because I didn't want to take the year, and D wasn't on my radar. Over the weekend, I've got to think about whether I would definitely take full scholarships at D and N before I'd go to Harvard or Texas (definitely being operative) though; if it isn't definitive, I'm still going to choose between H and UT.

Hoping that Harvard gives me a bit of aid so I can stomach the debt for the security.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri May 24, 2013 9:47 pm

ajclark1992 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Has that changed now? Because MVPDCN give you a much better shot at Texas biglaw with ties than UT and all of them could end up costing maybe 25-40k more than UT.

It has changed...a little bit. My only hang up is that I already tried for MVP -- the only addition would be a year of work experience. I can't see Cornell being too much better than Texas in Texas. N was out of the cards before because I didn't want to take the year, and D wasn't on my radar. Over the weekend, I've got to think about whether I would definitely take full scholarships at D and N before I'd go to Harvard or Texas (definitely being operative) though; if it isn't definitive, I'm still going to choose between H and UT.

Hoping that Harvard gives me a bit of aid so I can stomach the debt for the security.
I noticed you had a UVA YP. Did you write Why essays at MVP? IMO, they're more important there than anyone else for money because those three are the biggest YPers. A good Why essay is often the difference between a waitlist and six figures there. Maybe Cornell doesn't place better in TX, but Northwestern might and Duke up certainly will.

Other posters have identified Duke and the Mordecai with good reason. It's maybe the only school (Northwestern is the other possibility) that will both absolutely place better in TX than UT and absolutely will consider giving your numbers a full ride.

ajclark1992

Bronze

Post by ajclark1992 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:00 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
ajclark1992 wrote:

I noticed you had a UVA YP. Did you write Why essays at MVP? IMO, they're more important there than anyone else for money because those three are the biggest YPers. A good Why essay is often the difference between a waitlist and six figures there. Maybe Cornell doesn't place better in TX, but Northwestern might and Duke up certainly will.

Other posters have identified Duke and the Mordecai with good reason. It's maybe the only school (Northwestern is the other possibility) that will both absolutely place better in TX than UT and absolutely will consider giving your numbers a full ride.
I did write them (apparently I could've been more convincing). I got WL at Virginia, $75,000 at Michigan and $0 at Penn. Yeah -- I understand the logical reasoning behind Duke, Northwestern. It's just difficult to give up a spot at Harvard (that I got by a thread -- hold, waitlist, JS1, JS1b) to go for a possibility of a full ride, not the definite thing. If it were right in front of me as an option, I'd take it. I just need a little time to process the idea of taking the year and redoing the process all over again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 am

ajclark1992 wrote:I got WL at Virginia
YP

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat May 25, 2013 1:20 am

ajclark1992 wrote:
ajclark1992 wrote:

I did write them (apparently I could've been more convincing). I got WL at Virginia, $75,000 at Michigan and $0 at Penn. Yeah -- I understand the logical reasoning behind Duke, Northwestern. It's just difficult to give up a spot at Harvard (that I got by a thread -- hold, waitlist, JS1, JS1b) to go for a possibility of a full ride, not the definite thing. If it were right in front of me as an option, I'd take it. I just need a little time to process the idea of taking the year and redoing the process all over again.
Well, maybe H will come through with a huge amount of aid and render this discussion moot(ish) -- though your intimation that your parents have significant income/assets leads me to think the grant won't be huge. But I have no idea how H weighs $100K+ of debt in your name against parental income/assets. If your debt at graduation were more like $300K (i.e., not too much more than COA at sticker for three years), then going to H would be more like somewhat terrifying than insane.

2014utLaw

New

Post by 2014utLaw » Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 pm

This man's youth will work against him during OCI no matter where he goes.

ajclark1992

Bronze

Post by ajclark1992 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:53 pm

2014utLaw wrote:This man's youth will work against him during OCI no matter where he goes.
lol people have been telling me that age comes before performance for a long time. haven't found it to be the case yet -- if you can produce value, you can produce value -- but I guess we'll see.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 pm

2014utLaw wrote:This man's youth will work against him during OCI no matter where he goes.
younger doods > older doods

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed May 29, 2013 11:58 pm

ajclark1992 wrote:
lol people have been telling me that age comes before performance for a long time. haven't found it to be the case yet -- if you can produce value, you can produce value -- but I guess we'll see.
Isn't that kind of the point, that K-JDs have almost never produced anything of value in a work setting?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 12:01 am

BigZuck wrote:
Isn't that kind of the point, that K-JDs have almost never produced anything of value in a work setting?

Fuck your MBA-skewl mentality

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu May 30, 2013 12:11 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Fuck your MBA-skewl mentality
:)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu May 30, 2013 12:52 am

Nelson wrote:
Br3v wrote:UG debt should be treated as a sunk cost IMO. I know in aggregate with H debt it makes a difference, but if you want to be comparing apples to apples you should do so.
This is terrible advice.
Except its not. He has that debt regardless.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Thu May 30, 2013 1:46 am

Br3v wrote:
Nelson wrote:
This is terrible advice.
Except its not. He has that debt regardless.
Yeah, sunk cost = already paid.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu May 30, 2013 1:49 am

Increase in risk per dollar of debt isn't linear tho

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 am

sinfiery wrote:Increase in risk per dollar of debt isn't linear tho
Always needs to be remembered. Marginal utility of each scholarship dollar decreases as the amount increases. A $50k scholarship saves maybe $75k relative to sticker, whereas a $150k scholarship saves maybe $55-60k relative to a $100k scholarship. In pure dollar terms, a scholarship is worth more than half of a scholarship for twice the amount.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 am

Always needs to be remembered. Marginal utility of each scholarship dollar decreases as the amount increases. A $50k scholarship saves maybe $75k relative to sticker, whereas a $150k scholarship saves maybe $55-60k relative to a $100k scholarship. In pure dollar terms, a scholarship is worth more than half of a scholarship for twice the amount.
Which is exactly why we always look at CoA for comparisons

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 30, 2013 12:03 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
But the same holds true for COA. The relative difference between $200k and $250k in COA turns out to be significantly larger than the difference between $50k and $100k once compounded interest is factored in.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
younger doods > older doods
objectively wrong

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 30, 2013 12:40 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
But the same holds true for COA. The relative difference between $200k and $250k in COA turns out to be significantly larger than the difference between $50k and $100k once compounded interest is factored in.
What? by COA I include interest at loan repayment

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”