BU ($$$) vs Wake ($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What's the Best Choice?

BU (90k COA)
55%
Wake (30k COA)
45%

Total votes: 47

cinephile

Gold

Re: BU ($$$) vs Wake ($$$$)

Post by cinephile » Sat May 25, 2013 7:28 am

elm84dr wrote:
cinephile wrote:Wake is the only reasonable choice here. Odds of getting decent paying employment are low at both schools, but, that being said, it you're going to strike out you might as well do it with low, low debt.
OP got $120K from BU. Are you kidding me that Wake is the only reasonable choice when BU doubles the chance at big law and an Art III Clerkship?
Not kidding. The odds are still overwhelming against him or her for getting biglaw or an Art II clerkship. Come on, let's be serious and honest about the stats. He or she has a like a 75% chance of not achieving his or her goals. No point in wasting good money on that unless lighting money on fire gets you off.

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Sat May 25, 2013 9:04 am

cinephile wrote:
elm84dr wrote:
cinephile wrote:Wake is the only reasonable choice here. Odds of getting decent paying employment are low at both schools, but, that being said, it you're going to strike out you might as well do it with low, low debt.
OP got $120K from BU. Are you kidding me that Wake is the only reasonable choice when BU doubles the chance at big law and an Art III Clerkship?
Not kidding. The odds are still overwhelming against him or her for getting biglaw or an Art II clerkship. Come on, let's be serious and honest about the stats. He or she has a like a 75% chance of not achieving his or her goals. No point in wasting good money on that unless lighting money on fire gets you off.
You have no idea what you are talking about. You get 120K from BU, thats pretty much a full-ride, and trumps the hell out of Wake.

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm

OP: At the risk of sounding stalkerish, I looked at your post history because I thought that I remembered your username from a past thread. I was correct and I'm going to be the one asshole who hijacks this thread by advising you to RETAKE. With your GPA and URM status and a 3 or 4 point boost from your 158 (which is easily doable) you should be able to crack the T-14.

heymom

New

Post by heymom » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Visited BU this past Tuesday and liked Boston. However, after speaking to Admissions I didn't see the amount of optimism I was expecting on future job outlooks, and they mentioned I would need to extensively network and build my resume to appeal to various jobs. Although, my guide at Wake's accepted students' day also mentioned he didn't know of anyone that got jobs through OCI.
Would I stand a better chance of securing a job from OCI at BU?

Also, after thinking about it I wouldn't mind living in Charlotte or NC if it meant a decent salary ($100k). With that being said should I just save the $60k since I am fine with living in NC now? I have been going back and forth on this decision and need to make a decision by tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:10 am

Don't expect a $100k+ salary coming from Wake-- the odds are not good. You would spend a better chance of securing a job from OCI from BU, but you have to decide how much that is worth to you. It is about a 13% difference between the two for biglaw+A3.

Also, I'm not really sure how any law school can be optimistic if they aren't in the top 14. Outlooks are pretty bleak all around.

If the only outcome from Wake you would be happy with is biglaw, I can't see how it makes sense to go there. Neither of the schools are really that great for what you want, but I think BU gets you the closest. If you were fine doing PI or some type of small law in NC, then I'd say that is the better choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 am

I would go with Wake. Not only the lower cost of tuition but also the lower cost of living. Given you're career goals, you should really focus on keeping your debt down. At BU, you could end up unemployed (good chance this will happen) and you don't want to be another sucker that took on the debt but ended up not being able to pay it off.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:01 pm

elm84dr wrote: BU cheerleader
I don't know how much the administration is paying you to post here, but what you're doing is unkind. You're encouraging people to throw away 90k on a 25% chance of biglaw. You're being completely disingenuous in suggesting that this is a good option. If you are doing this in return for a discount on your tuition, that's pretty sick. If you're simply confused then educate yourself on BU's placement before you post.

gpallet01

New

Post by gpallet01 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:05 pm

cinephile wrote:
I don't know how much the administration is paying you to post here, but what you're doing is unkind. You're encouraging people to throw away 90k on a 25% chance of biglaw. You're being completely disingenuous in suggesting that this is a good option. If you are doing this in return for a discount on your tuition, that's pretty sick. If you're simply confused then educate yourself on BU's placement before you post.
Similarly, just b/c you had a bad experience at BU doesn't mean every person will.

heymom

New

Post by heymom » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:21 am

I think from the students I've talked to at BU some either love it or hate it, and there is no middle ground. Whereas, Wake Students are pretty happy in general, I don't know if that happiness stems from the fact that maybe most of them realize their employment prospects and set their goals accordingly, or because they haven't entered the work force yet...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 am

heymom wrote:I think from the students I've talked to at BU some either love it or hate it, and there is no middle ground. Whereas, Wake Students are pretty happy in general, I don't know if that happiness stems from the fact that maybe most of them realize their employment prospects and set their goals accordingly, or because they haven't entered the work force yet...
Wouldn't you rather live in the quiet rolling hills of Wake Forest instead of the hustle and bustle of "fuck ya motha" Boston? You're probably right about the last point though, but that could be applied to any current student's opinion.

heymom

New

Post by heymom » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Yea maybe a small town isn't bad after all. Alright guys I have 45 minutes before decision time, any more opinions and votes would be appreciated!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:24 pm

gpallet01 wrote:
cinephile wrote:
Similarly, just b/c you had a bad experience at BU doesn't mean every person will.
I've had a fine experience at BU. All law schools are fungible.

What matters isn't the experience, that's irrelevant. What matters is placement and cost and the combination of those two factors. That's about it. 90k for 25% chance is a bad investment. All that matters is the numbers.

30k for a 12% chance is a much safer choice.

That's the only thing that we should be discussing. Experiences are irrelevant unless cost and placement are very close.

heymom

New

Post by heymom » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:07 pm

After careful consideration and going back and forth for days, I decided to choose Wake. Although, it might not get me the high salary that everyone wants, at the end of the day I can be happy with the low debt and not too bad employment prospects. Thank you to everyone who helped in this thread!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:56 pm

heymom wrote:After careful consideration and going back and forth for days, I decided to choose Wake. Although, it might not get me the high salary that everyone wants, at the end of the day I can be happy with the low debt and not too bad employment prospects. Thank you to everyone who helped in this thread!
I don't think there's a clear right answer here, but when the difference in cost is a downpayment on a $300-400k house, I think the cheaper option (given that it is a reputable school) is the right choice. Good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”