BU ($$$) vs Wake ($$$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What's the Best Choice?

BU (90k COA)
55%
Wake (30k COA)
45%

Total votes: 47

heymom

BU ($$$) vs Wake ($$$$)

Postby heymom » Thu May 23, 2013 1:59 am

Hello all,

With no movement on waitlists it is almost time to make a decision and was wondering if I could get some advice. My cost of attending BU would be approximately $90k and the cost of attending Wake would be $30k. Is BU worth the extra expense? I don't know where exactly I want to practice but I wouldn't mind remaining in NC now that I have looked at various options. Would it be better to go to Wake or spend the extra $60k for BU.

Thanks!
Last edited by heymom on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

empyreanrrv

Re: BU ($$$) vs Wake ($$$$)

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu May 23, 2013 2:22 am

What type of law are you looking to practice? BU seems to only really have an edge with A3+biglaw, so if neither of those are important to you, I can't see why it would be worth 60k more than Wake.

heymom

Postby heymom » Thu May 23, 2013 2:44 am

empyreanrrv wrote:What type of law are you looking to practice? BU seems to only really have an edge with A3+biglaw, so if neither of those are important to you, I can't see why it would be worth 60k more than Wake.

I wouldn't mind doing big law but it isn't really the one and only goal I have in mind. I want to do some PI work and maybe move into private practice later on.

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:03 am

Go with Wake; its strong in the Charlotte area and with the low COA is not a significant risk. This is not the case with the other option.

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Thu May 23, 2013 9:41 am

I didn't know Wake gave out stipends. You must be a special snowflake!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Voted BU. Not only is $90K there defensive in a vacuum, but I think nearly DOUBLE the shot at an enviable legal career is worth $60K (32% vs 19%)

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bu
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wake

If you'd said you wanted to stay in NC to work, I would go with Wake. But you said you might want to leave NC...

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 23, 2013 12:59 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Voted BU. Not only is $90K there defensive in a vacuum, but I think nearly DOUBLE the shot at an enviable legal career is worth $60K (32% vs 19%)

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bu
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wake

If you'd said you wanted to stay in NC to work, I would go with Wake. But you said you might want to leave NC...

Yeah, but 90k is within the range that you need a good job to pay off the debt, and I wouldnt bet on 32% chances.
Retake or Wake.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:49 pm

heymom wrote:Hello all,

With no movement on waitlists it is almost time to make a decision and was wondering if I could get some advice. My cost of attending BU would be approximately $90k and the cost of attending Wake would be $30k. Is BU worth the extra expense? I don't know where exactly I want to practice but don't want to remain in NC for the rest of my life. Would it be better to go to Wake or spend the extra $60k for BU.

Thanks!

Take BU then. 90k isn't that terrible. However is the 90k including interest, housing, other cost of living? I have a feeling you might be listing cost of tuition only.

Anymore for BU and I'm not as sure it's a good idea.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu May 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Wake is a terrible choice if you are dead set against practicing in NC. That said...if you miss the biglaw boat at BU or elsewhere, you will be surprised how quickly you'll be applying for small firm gigs back home. Don't reflexively hate on your home market.

You should probably retake if you haven't maxed out your LSAT attempts.

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Thu May 23, 2013 3:13 pm

muskies970 wrote:

With no movement on waitlists it is almost time to make a decision and was wondering if I could get some advice. My cost of attending BU would be approximately $90k and the cost of attending Wake would be $30k. Is BU worth the extra expense? I don't know where exactly I want to practice but don't want to remain in NC for the rest of my life. Would it be better to go to Wake or spend the extra $60k for BU.

Thanks!

Take BU then. 90k isn't that terrible. However is the 90k including interest, housing, other cost of living? I have a feeling you might be listing cost of tuition only.

Anymore for BU and I'm not as sure it's a good idea.

+1 I think you're right. Costs aside from tuition are estimated around $20k/yr at Wake, and if you live in a box with four other people and eat Ramen, you can make your budget $14k/yr, so unless OP has a living stipend, he's not including COL. And I don't think Wake hands those out.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:53 pm

heymom

Postby heymom » Thu May 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Yes the COA includes tuition+living expenses+books+and various fees.

The reason Wake is so low is that my uncle has a property near Winston so I could potentially live there rent free. BU would cost 90k which includes COL and personal expenses and what not. I wouldn't mind being in NC for a couple of years but ultimately want to move to some other region potentially NY or Chicago.

Thanks for all the advice but I am maxed on the LSAT attempts and want to know what is the best choice of these two options.

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm

heymom wrote:Yes the COA includes tuition+living expenses+books+and various fees.

The reason Wake is so low is that my uncle has a property near Winston so I could potentially live there rent free. BU would cost 90k which includes COL and personal expenses and what not. I wouldn't mind being in NC for a couple of years but ultimately want to move to some other region potentially NY or Chicago.

Thanks for all the advice but I am maxed on the LSAT attempts and want to know what is the best choice of these two options.

If you want Chicago or NYC, why not apply to schools there? With these offers, you would have something decent waiting for you at peer (or better) schools in these cities.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 pm

RAWR wrote:
heymom wrote:Yes the COA includes tuition+living expenses+books+and various fees.

If you want Chicago or NYC, why not apply to schools there? With these offers, you would have something decent waiting for you at peer (or better) schools in these cities.

Which "peers", specifically? There arent really schools at BU employment levels, network, and prestige in Chitown or NYC that OP would stand a strong chance at good $$. Maybe Fordham, but I see that school as being in freefall. Most T15-30 are regionals located outside the primary markets (except gwu).

heymom

Postby heymom » Fri May 24, 2013 12:50 am

Which "peers", specifically? There arent really schools at BU employment levels, network, and prestige in Chitown or NYC that OP would stand a strong chance at good $$. Maybe Fordham, but I see that school as being in freefall. Most T15-30 are regionals located outside the primary markets (except gwu).

Yea I got into GW, and Fordham but neither gave me the amount of money Wake and BU are offering me. The COA at both Fordham and GW was $200k+.

I am on a few waitlists right now but I need to make a second deposit so I need to make a decision between the two schools. Thanks for the help guys!

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:06 am

Can I ask why you want to live in new York or Chicago?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location
According to this 75 percent of wake grads who are employed live in dc va or north Carolina. Insuspect a lot of the rest are in other nearby states so although you'd be virtually debt free that is the reality of that degree for at least a few years...

BU puts 15 percent of grads who are employed into new York, so at least you would have a shot there, its impossible to tell how ,any self select to stay in Boston versus gun for new York firms, but either way it won't be easy.

At least for bu you would be in Boston which is another cool northern city, but you have to decide If that's worth 60k more in debt

ETA: I think either choice is fine, no clear cut winner, it comes down to how debt averse you are

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Fri May 24, 2013 6:58 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:Go with Wake; its strong in the Charlotte area and with the low COA is not a significant risk. This is not the case with the other option.

I think you did not catch the fact that OP said they don't want to stay in North Carolina.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Fri May 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks!

I think BU is the only choice here. It seems like you got a 6-figure package (or close to it) from BU since your total COA is 90K (am I right?).

If you want more options, in Boston, NY, D.C. or California---BU is your choice. You will not get out of NC if you go to Wake Forest, but I believe you will be able to go back (if you are from there) from BU, if you really decide you would like to do so. Some one I know actually got a 1L SA in Charlotte from BU.

Since you say you aren't interested in staying in NC, go to BU. PM if you have any more questions or concerns.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks!

You probably need to recalculate your COA. If you're paying only 90k at BU, you have a MASSIVE scholarship (in which case, you could probably go to a T14)

What is your financial aid package at Wake and BU?

heymom

Postby heymom » Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 pm

mr.hands wrote:
You probably need to recalculate your COA. If you're paying only 90k at BU, you have a MASSIVE scholarship (in which case, you could probably go to a T14)

I got a $40k scholarship per year to BU which is $120k for three years. According to their website the COA is $63,688 but I think it will be more like $70k with other added expenses. I am on several waitlists, but with the second deposit deadline approaching I need to solidify a legitimate backup plan thanks!

heymom

Postby heymom » Fri May 24, 2013 8:20 pm

muskies970 wrote:Can I ask why you want to live in new York or Chicago?

According to this 75 percent of wake grads who are employed live in dc va or north Carolina. Insuspect a lot of the rest are in other nearby states so although you'd be virtually debt free that is the reality of that degree for at least a few years...

BU puts 15 percent of grads who are employed into new York, so at least you would have a shot there, its impossible to tell how ,any self select to stay in Boston versus gun for new York firms, but either way it won't be easy.

At least for bu you would be in Boston which is another cool northern city, but you have to decide If that's worth 60k more in debt

ETA: I think either choice is fine, no clear cut winner, it comes down to how debt averse you are

I have no undergraduate debt for what it's worth and I will be paying for law school by myself. I wouldn't mind staying in NC for a couple of years but ultimately I don't want to make the region a permanent home. I was wondering the same thing about the "self-selection" about BU students, I wonder how many of them could have went to NYC but decided to stay put in Boston.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri May 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Wake is the only reasonable choice here. Odds of getting decent paying employment are low at both schools, but, that being said, it you're going to strike out you might as well do it with low, low debt.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 pm

heymom wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

I got a $40k scholarship per year to BU which is $120k for three years. According to their website the COA is $63,688 but I think it will be more like $70k with other added expenses. I am on several waitlists, but with the second deposit deadline approaching I need to solidify a legitimate backup plan thanks!

That's a solid scholarship. Be sure to calculate the compounding interest and the annual 4% tuition increases, though

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Fri May 24, 2013 11:14 pm

cinephile wrote:Wake is the only reasonable choice here. Odds of getting decent paying employment are low at both schools, but, that being said, it you're going to strike out you might as well do it with low, low debt.

OP got $120K from BU. Are you kidding me that Wake is the only reasonable choice when BU doubles the chance at big law and an Art III Clerkship?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 25, 2013 12:05 am

elm84dr wrote:
cinephile wrote:Wake is the only reasonable choice here. Odds of getting decent paying employment are low at both schools, but, that being said, it you're going to strike out you might as well do it with low, low debt.

OP got $120K from BU. Are you kidding me that Wake is the only reasonable choice when BU doubles the chance at big law and an Art III Clerkship?

+1, BU is perfectly reasonable here with that scholarship and OPs goals

Return to “Choosing a Law School”