Brooklyn V. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Brooklyn or Cardozo

Brooklyn
12
57%
Cardozo
9
43%
 
Total votes: 21

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Brooklyn offered $50,000 per year, so I'd be paying $0 to attend
Cardozo offered $33,000 per year, so I'd be paying $17,000 to attend
COL is the same for both.
To anyone itching to type "RETAKE!" I'm already signed up for June 10th (obviously things may change depending on results)
Based on these options, which should I attend and why?
Last edited by pwnyc127 on Thu May 30, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:27 pm

I think the "v." thing should be left for cases

That said, why do you prefer Cardozo? They're basically the same school. Are you Jewish?

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:35 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I think the "v." thing should be left for cases

That said, why do you prefer Cardozo? They're basically the same school. Are you Jewish?


Half Jewish, however that's not the motivating factor. I visited both schools and I got a better vibe from Cardozo. The new dean at Brooklyn Law struck me as being obstinately pompous.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Well 8 grand over 3 years is de nada, do what you want. The question should be whether 17k is worth it for Cardozo. If you don't wanna go to Brooklyn, don't let that amount of money bring you there.

Edit: Oh, you meant "to attend" each year. Ehl 24k with interest kinda will change the way you live after you graduate for a bit. Still probably the answer is the same.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 22, 2013 3:40 pm

I would go to neither if you have to take out loans for CoL. Even with a full scholarship, CoL and interest on loans for CoL makes those skoolz too expensive.

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:I would go to neither if you have to take out loans for CoL. Even with a full scholarship, CoL and interest on loans for CoL makes those skoolz too expensive.


No loans for COL. Will be living with family to save money.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I would go to neither if you have to take out loans for CoL. Even with a full scholarship, CoL and interest on loans for CoL makes those skoolz too expensive.


No loans for COL. Will be living with family to save money.

Oh then just go to whichever one you like more

Though I will say the Dean's demeanor isn't a good reason to pick a school

You'll will probably never come into contact w that dood

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 22, 2013 4:03 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I would go to neither if you have to take out loans for CoL. Even with a full scholarship, CoL and interest on loans for CoL makes those skoolz too expensive.


No loans for COL. Will be living with family to save money.


What are your legal career goals? So long as you understand the employment limitations of these schools, people have discussed and chosen worse things on this website than pay $8K/year total for their TTT law degree. Cardozo @ 17K/year would put you at ~55K debt at graduation, for a slightly better than half chance at a legal job. idkkk I'd go with the cheaper school here.

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby Paul Campos » Wed May 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Debt at graduation if tuition debt-financed with no loans for COL:

BLS: $31K

Cardozo: $58K

If you hate money go to Cardozo.

Related: http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2013/05/peak-law-school

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby Clearly » Wed May 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Scholly Stipulations!?

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby timbs4339 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Scholly Stipulations!?


If the same, then BLS. How much you like the Dean should be the last thing on your list of how to what to prioritize and isn't worth even $500 in my book.

Also, don't pick a school based on the "vibe" you get at ASWs and school sponsored mixers. It's like buying a car based on how nice the dealer is.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Between these two, whichever is cheaper. Retake is better than both.

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Scholly Stipulations!?


Top 80% for both. Signed up to retake June 10th, will see what happens.

User avatar
LionelHutzJD
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:37 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby LionelHutzJD » Wed May 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Go with the Jews

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 23, 2013 9:53 am

Going to Cardozo when Brooklyn is cheaper would be the height of idiocy.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 23, 2013 12:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:Going to Cardozo when Brooklyn is cheaper would be the height of idiocy.


remember who you are dealing with here

LionelHutzJD wrote:Go with the Jews


this is the guy going to st johns @ sticker

lets not even get this started

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Scholly Stipulations!?


Top 80% for both. Signed up to retake June 10th, will see what happens.

Good call on the retake. I would go to Brooklyn. Outcomes are fungible and 31k in debt is manageable even with a low paying job.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Yeah I don't think Brooklyn is any worse than Cardozo. I'd go BLS here. It's not a bad move at that cost.

ETA: skimmed your recent posts, looks like you're aiming for mid-170s on the retake? I would hold out for better options to be honest, unless you're dead-set on staying in NYC and very, very debt averse, in which case full ride at BLS is probably as good as it gets anyway. Otherwise you could be a candidate for a full ride at Northwestern, etc., and in at CLS and/or NYU, though you'd probably have to borrow substantially there.

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby pwnyc127 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Yeah I don't think Brooklyn is any worse than Cardozo. I'd go BLS here. It's not a bad move at that cost.

ETA: skimmed your recent posts, looks like you're aiming for mid-170s on the retake? I would hold out for better options to be honest, unless you're dead-set on staying in NYC and very, very debt averse, in which case full ride at BLS is probably as good as it gets anyway. Otherwise you could be a candidate for a full ride at Northwestern, etc., and in at CLS and/or NYU, though you'd probably have to borrow substantially there.


Yeah I'm PTing mid 170's. If I hit a score that high on the actual test I'll definitely take a year off and reapply, even though that year off is going to suck because I have a crappy job.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby North » Tue May 28, 2013 1:55 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Yeah I don't think Brooklyn is any worse than Cardozo. I'd go BLS here. It's not a bad move at that cost.

ETA: skimmed your recent posts, looks like you're aiming for mid-170s on the retake? I would hold out for better options to be honest, unless you're dead-set on staying in NYC and very, very debt averse, in which case full ride at BLS is probably as good as it gets anyway. Otherwise you could be a candidate for a full ride at Northwestern, etc., and in at CLS and/or NYU, though you'd probably have to borrow substantially there.


Yeah I'm PTing mid 170's. If I hit a score that high on the actual test I'll definitely take a year off and reapply, even though that year off is going to suck because I have a crappy job.

It'd be worth it dude. If I were PTing in the mid-170's I'd withdraw from these TTTs, retake until I got a score in the 170's, and profit. It'd be a waste to go to one of these schools when that kind of potential is on the table.

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Nevermind people, BLS just called, scholarship was upgraded to $50K a year with top 80% stipulation. I can't turn that down, no matter how pompous the dean may seem. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby North » Wed May 29, 2013 4:52 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:Nevermind people, BLS just called, scholarship was upgraded to $50K a year with top 80% stipulation. I can't turn that down, no matter how pompous the dean may seem. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice.

You're right. Instead you should turn it down because you're PTing in the 170's.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby hephaestus » Wed May 29, 2013 4:57 pm

North wrote:
pwnyc127 wrote:Nevermind people, BLS just called, scholarship was upgraded to $50K a year with top 80% stipulation. I can't turn that down, no matter how pompous the dean may seem. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice.

You're right. Instead you should turn it down because you're PTing in the 170's.

This. You shouldn't disregard your full potential.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby North » Wed May 29, 2013 5:04 pm

You'd be absolutely insane to choose to have less than a coin-flip's chance at getting a job as a lawyer when you've shown that you're capable of landing T14's with cash. Absolutely insane.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Brooklyn V. Cardozo

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 29, 2013 5:12 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:Nevermind people, BLS just called, scholarship was upgraded to $50K a year with top 80% stipulation. I can't turn that down, no matter how pompous the dean may seem. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice.


Please still retake June just to see what score you get...and then if it is anything like what you are PTing out you absolutely CAN turn that down.
Have you given your GPA yet?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: black lab and 4 guests