Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby mx23250 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi all!
I'm applying to law school to become a patent attorney. I recently completed my PhD in the hard sciences (focus on biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, with a cancer focus). Anyhow, I'm curious what everyone's thoughts (and/or experiences) were on whether it is better to get into a highly overall ranked school (e.g., T14 school) that lacks a ranking in intellectual property law or if it is better to get into a law school that ranks high (e.g., top 10) in intellectual property law despite being a tier 2 or 3 law school overall? Specifically, would a top law firm look more highly on a grad from a strong IP program or from a T14 school with a weaker IP program?

I appreciate all comments and insights.

Thanks!

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby nickb285 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Ignore specialty rankings, they exist solely as a recruitment tactic for crap schools. T14 or strong regional for cheap are the only credited ways to attend LS right now.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby mx23250 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks!
That's what I was thinking too.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2222
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby jingosaur » Mon May 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Specialty rankings: These specialty rankings are based solely on votes by legal educators, who nominated up to 15 schools in each field. Legal educators chosen were a selection of those listed in the Association of American Law Schools Directory of Law Teachers 2009-2010 as currently teaching in that field. In the case of clinical and legal writing, the nominations were made by directors or members of the clinical and legal writing programs at each law school.

Those programs that received the most top 15 nominations appear and are numerically ranked in descending order based on the number of nominations they received as long as the school/program received seven or more nominations in that specialty area. This means that schools ranked at the bottom of each law specialty ranking have received seven nominations.


That's the methodology for the specialty rankings. As someone who's studied ranking algorithms, I wouldn't trust them at all. In addition to overall rankings, I would look at some top IP firms' websites to see where they take their associates from. But keep in mind that self-selection influences those stats.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Only relevant part of "specialty rankings" for IP is placing Cal/Stanford top 2.

FWIW, For IP: Stanford > Berkeley > HY/CLS/NYU > rest of T14 > *GWU > everyone else

*Some people on TLS claim this but I have yet to see evidence

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby 20141023 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:40 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Ignore both the IP rankings AND the USNWR rankings

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:10 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Only relevant part of "specialty rankings" for IP is placing Cal/Stanford top 2.

FWIW, For IP: Stanford > Berkeley > HY/CLS/NYU > rest of T14 > *GWU > everyone else

*Some people on TLS claim this but I have yet to see evidence


This is pretty ridiculous. For patent prosecution: they don't give a fuck about Berkeley vs. Harvard vs. Georgetown. And for patent lit, it's basically the same as normal big law hiring.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:16 pm

:? not all schools are going to have the same clinic/externships, course offerings, or be proximately located to IP practices. speciality rankings are terribly done, but so are USNWR rankings. outside the T14 (or probably even within t14 bands), try to minimize costs and live somewhere you want to work for sure, but all else being equal, definitely try to do some independent research into differences that you feel will benefit you

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby Ti Malice » Mon May 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Only relevant part of "specialty rankings" for IP is placing Cal/Stanford top 2.

FWIW, For IP: Stanford > Berkeley > HY/CLS/NYU > rest of T14 > *GWU > everyone else

*Some people on TLS claim this but I have yet to see evidence


This is pretty ridiculous. For patent prosecution: they don't give a fuck about Berkeley vs. Harvard vs. Georgetown. And for patent lit, it's basically the same as normal big law hiring.


Par for the course for this poster. He's a generally clueless 0L, but he can't keep himself from adopting the voice of an authority when he attempts to answer questions here.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Only relevant part of "specialty rankings" for IP is placing Cal/Stanford top 2.

FWIW, For IP: Stanford > Berkeley > HY/CLS/NYU > rest of T14 > *GWU > everyone else

*Some people on TLS claim this but I have yet to see evidence


This is pretty ridiculous. For patent prosecution: they don't give a fuck about Berkeley vs. Harvard vs. Georgetown. And for patent lit, it's basically the same as normal big law hiring.


Par for the course for this poster. He's a generally clueless 0L, but he can't keep himself from adopting the voice of an authority when he attempts to answer questions here.


:P YOLO. your pedantry and condescension don't make your first year law student ignorance any more instructive, brah. This is clearly a generalization ( for example Cal is only dominant in privacy and a few other restrictive tech based IP areas, not other areas) -- employment data and regional emphasis are more important than these masturbatory speculations on field specialization -- but this was the consensus I drew visiting many of these schools and receiving honest feedback from alumns and practicing IP attorneys. I dont speak out of my ass, I just contribute results of my own research, which admittedly has less breadth than yours as a current student

I think you are a good poster and we almost always agree so by discrediting me you are largely discrediting yourself

froglee
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby froglee » Mon May 20, 2013 11:56 pm

Santa Clara Law School ranks really high in IP law

Jimbo_Jones
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Patent Law - Choose by IP ranking or USN overall ranking?

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am

goldbh7 wrote:That's the methodology for the specialty rankings. As someone who's studied ranking algorithms, I wouldn't trust them at all. In addition to overall rankings, I would look at some top IP firms' websites to see where they take their associates from. But keep in mind that self-selection influences those stats.



You also have to keep in mind shear class size as well. GW grads will show up a lot more when they are putting out 400-500 grads a year compared to Berk or Duke at 200.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andpeggy, Mhr and 3 guests