NYU (sticker) vs. Mich ($$) for California

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU (sticker) or Mich ($67.5k)

NYU
28%
Michigan
72%

Total votes: 67

shifty_eyed

Re: NYU (sticker) vs. Mich ($$) for California

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed May 29, 2013 1:05 pm

megagnarley wrote:So it's official: no money from NYU.

I have until 5pm eastern today to decide.

Feeling like Mich is the right call but hard to let go of NYU after wanting it for so long.

Anyone really think NYU could be worth 90k more?

90k is SO MUCH MONEY. If it were maybe 60k difference, I could justify it to myself.

I am conflicted just thinking of this.

Luckily Mich and NYU were my two rejections, so I never had to come to this dilemma. ;)

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Of these two, Michigan

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Wed May 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Yea I basically agree with you guys.

If I don't get DOJ, which is a very likely possibility, nyu would mean a full 2 years longer in biglaw. Hard to stomach even though I really want the school.

The anti-mich sentiment on TLS has scared me to some extent, though, to be honest.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:18 pm

megagnarley wrote:Yea I basically agree with you guys.

If I don't get DOJ, which is a very likely possibility, nyu would mean a full 2 years longer in biglaw. Hard to stomach even though I really want the school.
The anti-mich sentiment on TLS has scared me to some extent, though, to be honest.

GO TO MICHIGAN. It is fabulous and NYU is not worth that much more.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 1:20 pm

curious66 wrote:

Remember, TLS is an extremely biglaw-focused group. I doubt your chances at other gov work are severely different between NYU and Mich (prolly slim at either tho). NYU's clear advantage over Michigan is with V10 NYC firms - unless you are deadset on that, its not worth the money.

Michigan is still a great school. No one in the legal community would think it strange that you chose it.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed May 29, 2013 1:33 pm

Did you ever post what your actual COA will be at these two school?

What were your numbers? Any room to improve?

I don't know what I would do in this situation. From either school you need to be prepared to work for a while in New York, so maybe maximize your chances at getting that. I'm nervous that you are counting in DOJ or California biglaw. California is a very difficult market.

For comparsion purposes, maybe you should look at the incoming first year and summer classes at these firms. See how many people total are getting hired in your market. I think the number is relatively small. Comparing how many associates are already working seems backwards when class sizes at most firms are flat or decreasing.
Last edited by NYstate on Wed May 29, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm

I enjoy making fun of Michigan. The whole "Cool Aunt" vibe that "Dean Z" gives off was kind of a turnoff to me and then the employment stats are kind of unsettling but maybe can be explained away.

Regardless, great school and I don't think NYU is 90K greater. That's so much more money when you're already taking out a boatload of debt.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Wed May 29, 2013 1:58 pm

So consensus seems to be, while NYU is a better school and Michigan's numbers are a bit off-putting, Mich is still solid and a more logical option at 90k cheaper.

Fair.

And I'm happy to hear it. 280k in debt is pretty terrifying and Mich actually looks more around 170k COA after interest so the difference might really be 100k +.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:09 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
curious66 wrote:

Remember, TLS is an extremely biglaw-focused group. I doubt your chances at other gov work are severely different between NYU and Mich (prolly slim at either tho). NYU's clear advantage over Michigan is with V10 NYC firms - unless you are deadset on that, its not worth the money.

Michigan is still a great school. No one in the legal community would think it strange that you chose it.

I liked the last bill murray avatar better.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 2:18 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
I liked the last bill murray avatar better.

Really? hmm. I was going for a black-and-white appeal this week. Maybe I'll switch it up next week.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed May 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Black and white is where it's at though.

Enjoy Michigan OP, I don't think there should be any hesitation after the Cali Michigan firm vs NYU firm numbers were posted.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm

sinfiery wrote:Black and white is where it's at though.

Enjoy Michigan OP, I don't think there should be any hesitation after the Cali Michigan firm vs NYU firm numbers were posted.

Indeed. And thank you kindly.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”