NYU (sticker) vs. Mich ($$) for California Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU (sticker) or Mich ($67.5k)

NYU
28%
Michigan
72%

Total votes: 67

kaiser

Gold

Re: NYU (sticker) vs. Mich ($$) for California

Post by kaiser » Tue May 21, 2013 1:21 pm

sinfiery wrote:Mich holding strong. Did not expect that, I'd take Mich if CA was the goal

Also, UVA is the most selective of schools
I also think the stats make a very solid case for Michigan here given the additional $$, lower COL, etc, assuming he has strong CA ties, which he says he does. The only notable disparity is between CA-based firms and non-CA based top firms. The bottom two firms have a much bigger numerical disparity than the first 6 (these two were the two random non-CA-based firms on the list). Perhaps it would be worth looking into a few more non-CA top firms to see what the numbers look like.
Last edited by kaiser on Tue May 21, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:21 pm

sinfiery wrote:Mich holding strong. Did not expect that, I'd take Mich if CA was the goal

Also, UVA Yale is the most selective of schools
FTFY

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue May 21, 2013 2:37 pm

:lol: :lol:

How could I forget UCI! Yale or UVA can't compete with that class size

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Getting steamy in here.

I'll update if/when NYU gets back to me so I can give any $$ figure.

Fun speculation but don't feel it has to be on my behalf.

Cheers.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 am

jbagelboy wrote:FWIW this Duke v NYU discussion draws down most often to geographic considerations, personal preference and cost. If you want to work in the cotton states, Duke brand is on par with Harvard down there. There are tons of people who will attend Duke over NYU for that reason, and even at equal cost I would take Duke over NYU if I wanted to work there. Similarly, many of my friends would not live in north carolina for just about anything, and NYU at sticker would always be preferable. Not everyone that gets in to Duke gets into NYU, and not everyone that gets into NYU gets into Duke (Duke actually has a higher selectivity rate). I don't understand why a conversation like this must consistently pervade these forums. We are essentially comparing peers. so stoppppppppp
wut?

nyu has a lower selectivity rate in a totally different pool (172-180) than duke's pool. this is apples and oranges here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Wed May 22, 2013 12:54 am

muskies970 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:FWIW this Duke v NYU discussion draws down most often to geographic considerations, personal preference and cost. If you want to work in the cotton states, Duke brand is on par with Harvard down there. There are tons of people who will attend Duke over NYU for that reason, and even at equal cost I would take Duke over NYU if I wanted to work there. Similarly, many of my friends would not live in north carolina for just about anything, and NYU at sticker would always be preferable. Not everyone that gets in to Duke gets into NYU, and not everyone that gets into NYU gets into Duke (Duke actually has a higher selectivity rate). I don't understand why a conversation like this must consistently pervade these forums. We are essentially comparing peers. so stoppppppppp
lol
are we going to ignore this now? fucking lol @ nyu being peers with duke

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:06 am

longlivetheking wrote:
muskies970 wrote:
lol
I love Duke and defend it as much as I can. But this? Sorry man. Just sorry. They are not peers.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 22, 2013 1:38 am

bruin91 wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:
muskies970 wrote:
lol
I love Duke and defend it as much as I can. But this? Sorry man. Just sorry. They are not peers.
Fwiw i would go to NYU at sticker over duke with $. I love the school and the neighborhood. In my personal opinion, nyu > duke every day. However: I understand this opinion is not shared by all for good reason. NYU has deeper connections at midtown firms, certainly, just as Duke has stronger connections in every southern city.

Go pick apart my statement all you want, Im just tryin to ease the stupid tension of this inane conversation in a dormant thread about an entirely different school

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 am

I'd go to Mich, OP. NYU might give you a bump (probably more in the ranking of the firm than in total placement) but sticker debt is scary. Maybe you should think about your potential outcomes across the board: if you kill it at either you'll probably get a good job but you'll have less debt. If you're at median you'll probably be helped a bit more by NYU's name, but if you get a job you're still fine. If you don't get a job the amount of debt might matter less: you're going to be under a crushing amount of debt either way.

So, I'd go with the optimistic choice and choose Mich.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Duke, Michigan, and NYU are peer schools, just like every school in the T13 that doesn't start with H, Y, or S. NYU is marginally better for NYC, and that's it.

Paying sticker for NYU over $$ at a lower T13 is rank idiocy.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 22, 2013 6:17 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Duke, Michigan, and NYU are peer schools, just like every school in the T13 that doesn't start with H, Y, or S. NYU is marginally better for NYC, and that's it.

I think the fact that your avatar definitely has a gun and an attitude, and my avatar is bill murray hiding behind a tree, makes it so that people are more likely to ridicule or critique my comment when we say basically the exact same thing

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Wed May 22, 2013 7:06 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Duke, Michigan, and NYU are peer schools, just like every school in the T13 that doesn't start with H, Y, or S. NYU is marginally better for NYC, and that's it.

I think the fact that your avatar definitely has a gun and an attitude, and my avatar is bill murray hiding behind a tree, makes it so that people are more likely to ridicule or critique my comment when we say basically the exact same thing
Agree to a large extent, but if LST is worth anything the difference in 10% regarding employment score between Mich and NYU should be considered, correct?

I'm not saying that makes NYU worth sticker (hence me even making this thread), and I'm not saying they are leagues apart, but having 8% more of the class underemployed is pretty significant when that actually equates to around 30 living, breathing students.

I see it as Mich: Fairly good shot at NY or home market with strong ties. NYU: Extremely good shot at NY and fairly good shot at home market with strong ties.

Not an enormous difference but not simply nominal when the stakes are this high.

And worse case scenario, LRAP goes to NYU.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm

people make it seem like having a proven advantage in the nyc market is like something of a bonus, when its a huge huge huge huge huge weight off your shoulders if you have that as a fall back when you fall below median and you have loans coming up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Thu May 23, 2013 10:06 am

It is simply not the case that NYU, Duke, and Michigan are true peers, or that all non HYS T-14 schools are the same. The employment prospects are much better coming out of NYU, and that's undisputed. The only question is how much someone has to be paid to compensate for the difference in employment prospects in order to attend a lower T-14. I know you're proud of Duke, but an average Columbia grad has far greater options than an average Duke grad, and that's just the way it is. All non-HYS schools are nowhere near equal.

P.S. - I have by far the most badass of all avatars.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:46 am

Borg wrote:

It is simply not the case that NYU, Duke, and Michigan are true peers, or that all non HYS T-14 schools are the same. The employment prospects are much better coming out of NYU, and that's undisputed.
No, that's actually disputable depending on your definition of "much better." NYU's main advantage is a boost for P.I. work and a small advantage in V10 placement in the NYC market. So for someone who doesn't want to do P.I. and doesn't care about NYC V10s, they are seeing a very marginal advantage by attending NYU. Columbia is definitely stronger, but I'm very skeptical that CA employers are going to view NYU or Columbia as substantially better than Boalt.
I dunno man, I'd put money on Rick over Vincent any day of the week. Jules might be able to take him, but largely because his sideburns would be intimidating.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 23, 2013 12:37 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Borg wrote:

It is simply not the case that NYU, Duke, and Michigan are true peers, or that all non HYS T-14 schools are the same. The employment prospects are much better coming out of NYU, and that's undisputed.
No, that's actually disputable depending on your definition of "much better." NYU's main advantage is a boost for P.I. work and a small advantage in V10 placement in the NYC market. So for someone who doesn't want to do P.I. and doesn't care about NYC V10s, they are seeing a very marginal advantage by attending NYU. Columbia is definitely stronger, but I'm very skeptical that CA employers are going to view NYU or Columbia as substantially better than Boalt.
I dunno man, I'd put money on Rick over Vincent any day of the week. Jules might be able to take him, but largely because his sideburns would be intimidating.
For the bolded, you're right, they won't. However, most CA firms would dig deeper into CLS than Duke. But neither of those schools are OP's decision so its completely irrelevant.

Also, having both V & J in your avatar is def cheating. Choose one, then you can "duke" it out

i haven't had my second coffee yet sorry

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Borg wrote:

NYU's employment score on LST is significantly higher. I don't know where this "conventional wisdom" that NYU is only better for V10s came from, but it's wrong. Also, we're not comparing NYU to Boalt for CA, just to Michigan and weirdly to Duke even though the guy didn't ask.

Addressing more important things, no way that Rick could take either one! Rick keeps getting lucky that he isn't killed by zombies (which, by the way, seem increasingly less scary and slower moving now that everyone is consistently armed). Also, he sees his dead wife everywhere and is really squeamish about killing non-zombies. Carl might take them, but not Rick.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 am

Borg wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Borg wrote:

NYU's employment score on LST is significantly higher.
6% higher than Duke, 9% higher than Michigan. You can argue about what constitutes "significant," but in my mind, that advantage is clearly not worth nearly $100k.
I don't know where this "conventional wisdom" that NYU is only better for V10s came from, but it's wrong. Also, we're not comparing NYU to Boalt for CA, just to Michigan and weirdly to Duke even though the guy didn't ask.
It's not wrong. NYU's only advantage is in NYC, which is coincidentally where most V10s are located. Outside of NYC, nobody thinks NYU is any better or worse than Michigan, Duke, Boalt, etc. Everything south of HYS is a peer school, and a few % points advantage in employment aren't worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's just not.
Addressing more important things, no way that Rick could take either one! Rick keeps getting lucky that he isn't killed by zombies (which, by the way, seem increasingly less scary and slower moving now that everyone is consistently armed). Also, he sees his dead wife everywhere and is really squeamish about killing non-zombies. Carl might take them, but not Rick.
Did you see the way Rick took out those guys in the bar in season 2? Badass. Not to mention, Jules and Vincent never had to face the walking dead - that shit changes you.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri May 24, 2013 11:34 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Did you see the way Rick took out those guys in the bar in season 2? Badass. Not to mention, Jules and Vincent never had to face the walking dead - that shit changes you.
This conversation has gotten too complicated, so I'm trying to cut down to only the important parts. Good point about the zombies, but Jules and Vincent have advantages from narcotics. Man I'm excited for Walking Dead to come back.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Borg wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
This conversation has gotten too complicated, so I'm trying to cut down to only the important parts. Good point about the zombies, but Jules and Vincent have advantages from narcotics. Man I'm excited for Walking Dead to come back.
Agreed, next season is gonna be great.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat May 25, 2013 5:35 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Borg wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
NYU's employment score on LST is significantly higher.

6% higher than Duke, 9% higher than Michigan. You can argue about what constitutes "significant," but in my mind, that advantage is clearly not worth nearly $100k.

I don't know where this "conventional wisdom" that NYU is only better for V10s came from, but it's wrong. Also, we're not comparing NYU to Boalt for CA, just to Michigan and weirdly to Duke even though the guy didn't ask.
It's not wrong. NYU's only advantage is in NYC, which is coincidentally where most V10s are located. Outside of NYC, nobody thinks NYU is any better or worse than Michigan, Duke, Boalt, etc. Everything south of HYS is a peer school, and a few % points advantage in employment aren't worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's just not.

Gotta go with Rick Grimes here. NYU is an excellent school but you're overstating its difference from other T14s. The difference is not "significant" and whether they are peers is not "undisputed."

When you're talking about employment statistics, you're ignoring school funded jobs. NYU employs nearly 13% of their students. Berkeley employs 2.2%, Michigan employs 3%, and Duke employs 5%. That narrows the gap substantially for the employment scores you're referring to.

The difference between these schools is much, much, much smaller than you think. Paying 100k more for that difference is silly

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Sun May 26, 2013 6:09 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote: It's not wrong. NYU's only advantage is in NYC, which is coincidentally where most V10s are located. Outside of NYC, nobody thinks NYU is any better or worse than Michigan, Duke, Boalt, etc. .

Source?

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:01 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

:lol:

Billy Murray > Rick Grimes. Both are awesome though.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Wed May 29, 2013 1:00 pm

So it's official: no money from NYU.

I have until 5pm eastern today to decide.

Feeling like Mich is the right call but hard to let go of NYU after wanting it for so long.

Anyone really think NYU could be worth 90k more?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 29, 2013 1:05 pm

megagnarley wrote:So it's official: no money from NYU.

I have until 5pm eastern today to decide.

Feeling like Mich is the right call but hard to let go of NYU after wanting it for so long.

Anyone really think NYU could be worth 90k more?
Sorry to hear.

I would stick with Michigan (my professional opinion). NYU is not worth that much more for almost any goal.

at the end of the day tho, if you love NYU then YOLO ~

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”