Need Some Advice: LSU (w/scholly) vs Miami

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rolleiflex

Need Some Advice: LSU (w/scholly) vs Miami

Postby rolleiflex » Sat May 18, 2013 3:10 pm

I've been a lurker on these forums for the past eight months, trying to soak up as much information as possible so that I could make an informed decision on where I choose to go to law school. Now, the time has come to solicit some advice. Here's my situation:

I moved down from the Northeast to attend a small, well respected liberal arts school in Florida with an overall GPA of 3.4. I took the LSAT twice, and my highest score was a 157. My application was well rounded, and I have impressive softs. During this cycle, I sent out a slew of applications, and was waitlisted at many of my top choices, including UF, FSU, UNC-Chapel Hill and Wisconsin-Madison. I was accepted at Seton Hall, Brooklyn Law School, Rutgers-Newark, the University of Miami, and LSU. I sent out my apps in November, and since that time, I have re-evaluated my goals and decided that I would like to remain in the South. Therefore, at this point in my application cycle, it comes down to a decision between LSU with a scholarship, bringing the COA to $24k, or Miami at sticker. I have a significant sum of money saved to put toward my education, but the difference between the two cost-wise merits some serious deliberation, and unfortunately I'm quickly running out of time to decide.

My main concern is that LSU, with its unique focus on civil and common law, might put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to move to a neighboring state, and would essentially relegate me to practicing in Louisiana for for a large portion of my career. Can anyone on TLS speak to whether or not the dual J.D./D.C.L. offered at LSU would put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to move out of LA to East Texas, or if I wanted to return to FL? I know, based upon ABA reports on Law School Transparency that some students from LSU do indeed go on to Texas, but I was hoping that someone on here could give me some first hand knowledge.

PRgradBYU

Re: Need Some Advice: LSU (w/scholly) vs Miami

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat May 18, 2013 3:23 pm

rolleiflex wrote:I've been a lurker on these forums for the past eight months, trying to soak up as much information as possible so that I could make an informed decision on where I choose to go to law school. Now, the time has come to solicit some advice. Here's my situation:

I moved down from the Northeast to attend a small, well respected liberal arts school in Florida with an overall GPA of 3.4. I took the LSAT twice, and my highest score was a 157. My application was well rounded, and I have impressive softs. During this cycle, I sent out a slew of applications, and was waitlisted at many of my top choices, including UF, FSU, UNC-Chapel Hill and Wisconsin-Madison. I was accepted at Seton Hall, Brooklyn Law School, Rutgers-Newark, the University of Miami, and LSU. I sent out my apps in November, and since that time, I have re-evaluated my goals and decided that I would like to remain in the South. Therefore, at this point in my application cycle, it comes down to a decision between LSU with a scholarship, bringing the COA to $24k, or Miami at sticker. I have a significant sum of money saved to put toward my education, but the difference between the two cost-wise merits some serious deliberation, and unfortunately I'm quickly running out of time to decide.

My main concern is that LSU, with its unique focus on civil and common law, might put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to move to a neighboring state, and would essentially relegate me to practicing in Louisiana for for a large portion of my career. Can anyone on TLS speak to whether or not the dual J.D./D.C.L. offered at LSU would put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to move out of LA to East Texas, or if I wanted to return to FL? I know, based upon ABA reports on Law School Transparency that some students from LSU do indeed go on to Texas, but I was hoping that someone on here could give me some first hand knowledge.

By no means should you even be considering Miami at sticker. As for LSU, that $24k COA seems suspiciously low, as it would imply a scholly that is disproportionately high to your 3.4 / 157. Would you mind walking us through the steps of how you arrived at that $24k COA?

tmoney

Postby tmoney » Sat May 18, 2013 5:14 pm

LSU at 24k (if that is the true COA) is a pretty great deal considering your #'s and their employment #'s. While it will probably limit your transferability to Louisiana and some parts of the neighboring states, it's still the best option you have.
Miami at sticker=never.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat May 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Is that $24K per year?

What are your softs, by the way? Most people overestimate the strength of their softs.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:24 pm

If LSU is $24k total COA, go there because at least that debt won't ruin your life when you can't find a job because nobody in nawlinz trusts some yank to do their legal work. If it's per year, don't go, and don't go to Miami at sticker under any circumstances.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:27 pm

LSU, hands down. Miami is a festering TTT.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sat May 18, 2013 11:12 pm

LSU, but I wonder how outsider status will play with small firm employers.

rolleiflex

Postby rolleiflex » Sat May 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Yes, the COA would be around 24k per year. I would graduate with minimal debt. That's all I'm at liberty to disclose with regard to the finances. Can anyone speak to the regional degree portability of LSU? Would the Houston market be accessible to an LSU grad, for instance? Is LSU well regarded in neighboring states?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat May 18, 2013 11:33 pm

rolleiflex wrote:Yes, the COA would be around 24k per year. I would graduate with minimal debt. That's all I'm at liberty to disclose with regard to the finances. Can anyone speak to the regional degree portability of LSU? Would the Houston market be accessible to an LSU grad, for instance? Is LSU well regarded in neighboring states?

Liberty to disclose? WTF is this stuff?

If you want to work in Texas, go to UT. Houston and SMU are defensible if they are very cheap and you have ties.

Either go to a tippy top school (ideally for as cheap as possible) or go to a strong regional for as close to free as possible in a region where you have strong ties to and are willing to live and work in long term.

rolleiflex

Postby rolleiflex » Sat May 18, 2013 11:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:Liberty to disclose? WTF is this stuff?

If you want to work in Texas, go to UT. Houston and SMU are defensible if they are very cheap and you have ties.

Either go to a tippy top school (ideally for as cheap as possible) or go to a strong regional for as close to free as possible in a region where you have strong ties to and are willing to live and work in long term.

It simply means that I'd rather not go into any more detail on a public forum. I'm sorry if I came off as being rude. I appreciate your advice, and thank you for your input.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 19, 2013 12:16 am

Just out of curiosity, you're actually gonna go aren't you?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun May 19, 2013 12:26 am

OP that's not what at liberty means.

But on a more serious note, neither of those schools are worth either of those prices.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun May 19, 2013 1:08 am

LSU will absolutely limit you to Louisiana. Furthermore, that impressive employment statistic they put up is from firms hiring in-state students.

If you are not from Louisiana and intend to stay in Louisiana do not go to LSU.

Oh yeah, and don't go to Miami either.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun May 19, 2013 2:42 pm

rolleiflex wrote:Yes, the COA would be around 24k per year. I would graduate with minimal debt. That's all I'm at liberty to disclose with regard to the finances. Can anyone speak to the regional degree portability of LSU? Would the Houston market be accessible to an LSU grad, for instance? Is LSU well regarded in neighboring states?

The COA is $24k/yr., huh? That makes more sense. IMHO, LSU isn't worth it at that price, especially if you don't have significant ties to that area. Some of those southern states can be rather insular.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun May 19, 2013 9:27 pm

I actually think it's a sweet deal, especially with OP's numbers.

Louisiana's COL ain't so bad, LA isn't government driven, LSU is a fun school, and the debt load is manageable.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 19, 2013 9:42 pm

OP does not have Lousiana ties. LSU is out.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I actually think it's a sweet deal, especially with OP's numbers.

Louisiana's COL ain't so bad, LA isn't government driven, LSU is a fun school, and the debt load is manageable.

What if he'd gotten into Berk at equal COA?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm

run away

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 am

UF and FSU are festering TTT

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fsu

and the state of Florida is in a financial mess. Not as bad as california, but still—a mess.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=lsu

LSU pulls more than its weight for a TTT

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 20, 2013 5:39 pm

I wouldn't consider LSU a TTT. Just cause it is not ranked so high doesn't mean shit.

THe UC law skewls are ranked too damn high. I guess the US NEWS just likes schools in liberal states. . .

Return to “Choosing a Law School”