Reach vs. middle vs. safety.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
patfeeney

Reach vs. middle vs. safety.

Postby patfeeney » Fri May 17, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm having a hard time picking which schools to apply to in the fall. Currently, I have a 3.54 GPA cume and I'm looking at a 170+ LSAT score (the 170+ isn't solid, but my PTs have been rigidly proctored and have fallen around that score). I'm a junior taking a double major and I've had multiple internships, including one at a major news corporation. I'm planning for my three reach schools to be Cornell, Harvard, and UPenn.

However, what I'm trying to figure out is how I should figure reach schools compared to my middle choices and safety schools. I'm thinking Temple would be a good middle choice, and Syracuse would be a good safety since I live 15 miles from their campus.

Using the LSAC's UGPA/LSAT score search to decide where to apply, what ranges would really count for "middle" range schools? For example, I consider Cornell a reach school, but according to the LSAC's site approx. 26-36% of students with my stats who apply are accepted. Such stats don't include my prior experiences, nor my upward shift in grades (Went from a 2.8 1st semester to steadily between 3.7 and 3.9 the past four semesters), but my chances at Cornell aren't the worst they could be. I wonder if someone would consider Cornell even to be a medium range school for me.

With the score search, what range would be safe for reach schools, medium schools, and safety schools?
I'm assuming it would be 0-33% for reaches, 33-66% for mediums, and 66-100% for safety. Of course, I don't know for sure, and I was hoping other people who are compiling their application lists could provide their criteria.

Tl;Dr How would you choose schools to apply to figuring GPA score and LSAT score compatibility, according to the LSAC score chart?

WokeUpInACar

Re: Reach vs. middle vs. safety.

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Use lawschoolnumbers.com instead of that LSAC thing. If you actually hit 170 you will almost certainly be in at Cornell, but Penn would be pretty iffy. Get that up to 172 and Penn becomes pretty likely. Harvard is going to be extremely unlikely no matter what your LSAT score is, and you'll have to hit 173+ to have any shot whatsoever.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Lawschoolnumbers.com

Scooped :(

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm

aim higher. Cornell is not reach if you hit 170. In fact, your GPA is really only prohibitive for HYS if you score high enough. so focus on that and apply broadly.

don't apply to temple or anything outside of T20 if you land 170+

good luck

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Also this isn't like undergrad, and "safety schools" don't exist nearly in the way they do for undergrad admissions. The system is so overwhelmingly numbers based that outcomes tend to be fairly predictable. The only way you should attend a school like Temple is with a full scholarship, and you just shouldn't even consider Syracuse under any circumstances.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri May 17, 2013 7:01 pm

This is all premature. Get a LSAT score before thinking about a strategy to apply. Your score dictates your strategy to apply, not the other way around. Also, schools will not care about any of those internships. You'd best focus on getting that GPA up and studying for the LSAT. Once you get that GPA as high as you can and get that 170+ score, you should be competitive at most T14s. I'd just blanket the entire T14 and a flagship schools in the states that you want to practice in. It'd be hard to imagine that you won't get some scholly money from some T14s with that GPA/LSAT combo.

If you actually get a 170+, don't bother applying to Temple or Syracuse. Waste of money.

Scooped. Damn, too slow.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 7:02 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Also this isn't like undergrad, and "safety schools" don't exist nearly in the way they do for undergrad admissions. The system is so overwhelmingly numbers based that outcomes tend to be fairly predictable. The only way you should attend a school like Temple is with a full scholarship, and you just shouldn't even consider Syracuse under any circumstances.

+1 scooped

i was just going to edit this in

just make sure you sign up for CAS and get merit based fee waivers to CCN and down then hit at least 10 schools

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Fri May 17, 2013 10:28 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:You'd best focus on getting that GPA up and studying for the LSAT. Once you get that GPA as high as you can and get that 170+ score, you should be competitive at most T14s. I'd just blanket the entire T14 and a flagship schools in the states that you want to practice in. It'd be hard to imagine that you won't get some scholly money from some T14s with that GPA/LSAT combo.

If you actually get a 170+, don't bother applying to Temple or Syracuse. Waste of money.

Scooped. Damn, too slow.

Considering that I'll be sending in applications before Thanksgiving, my GPA is pretty much locked at 3.54.
So... poop.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 pm

patfeeney wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:You'd best focus on getting that GPA up and studying for the LSAT. Once you get that GPA as high as you can and get that 170+ score, you should be competitive at most T14s. I'd just blanket the entire T14 and a flagship schools in the states that you want to practice in. It'd be hard to imagine that you won't get some scholly money from some T14s with that GPA/LSAT combo.

Scooped. Damn, too slow.

Considering that I'll be sending in applications before Thanksgiving, my GPA is pretty much locked at 3.54.
So... poop.

If you get a good score, your GPA won't be a serious impediment to either acceptances or good scholarships from T14. I had a 3.5 and got $$$ from NYU, UVA, NU, and Michigan. Just kill the LSAT and you're set.

Also, pick a minimum score that fits your goals (172 is a good bet). If you don't reach it, retake in October. That's what I did and I don't regret it one bit.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat May 18, 2013 4:38 am

OP are you URM?

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sat May 18, 2013 5:45 am

Without an actual LSAT score all your planning is meaningless.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 19, 2013 1:06 am

patfeeney wrote:

Scooped. Damn, too slow.

So... poop.

Wait, wait, wait. OP is missing a critical point here. Are you implying you have more semesters of school? You are making a HORRIBLE mistake even considering applying this fall when you havent maxed out your gpa. Moreover studying for the lsat during school blows shitsticks. Trust me I took it during UG and again while working FT, made a world of difference.

Dont apply to law school until your grades are finalized at maximum, you have real tme out of school to study for the LSAtT, and hopefully even have some postgrad WE. Many of us have gone thru this and we know its better to work and study/apply after graduation. It seems like your falling behind at first, but in reality you are placing yourself way, way ahead or your dumbshit classmates applying senior year ( unless they are HYS bound kjds).

If you already graduated and this doesnt apply then forgive me

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:30 am

jbagelboy wrote:
patfeeney wrote:

Scooped. Damn, too slow.

So... poop.

Wait, wait, wait. OP is missing a critical point here. Are you implying you have more semesters of school? You are making a HORRIBLE mistake even considering applying this fall when you havent maxed out your gpa. Moreover studying for the lsat during school blows shitsticks. Trust me I took it during UG and again while working FT, made a world of difference.

Dont apply to law school until your grades are finalized at maximum, you have real tme out of school to study for the LSAtT, and hopefully even have some postgrad WE. Many of us have gone thru this and we know its better to work and study/apply after graduation. It seems like your falling behind at first, but in reality you are placing yourself way, way ahead or your dumbshit classmates applying senior year ( unless they are HYS bound kjds).

This is really surprising to me. While I was studying while working full time, I kept wishing I was still in school.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 19, 2013 10:35 am

dawyzest1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
patfeeney wrote:

Scooped. Damn, too slow.

So... poop.

This is really surprising to me. While I was studying while working full time, I kept wishing I was still in school.

Lol. So much worse to study in school. At work you have regular hours (7pm-11pm) and free weekends for PTs. During school classes, clubs, ect took up all my time and if i got a PT in it was half assed.

Op must listen to this advice, most importantly for their GPA. They could crack 3.6 by end of senior year and apply after with a legit shot at HCCN.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun May 19, 2013 12:28 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
patfeeney wrote:

Scooped. Damn, too slow.

So... poop.

My last year just gave me an additional .11 on my GPA (3.5-3.61). I wonder if that would have made much of a difference.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
patfeeney wrote:

Scooped. Damn, too slow.

So... poop.

My last year just gave me an additional .11 on my GPA (3.5-3.61). I wonder if that would have made much of a difference.

Well, we'll never know unless you reapplied, but I think it would. I think with your LSAT and being over 3.6 you'd be guaranteed in at CLS and if your JS1 went well, in at Harvard.

You have amazing (and lower debt) options anyway so congrats

Return to “Choosing a Law School”