UCH vs UCD vs Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
calinyc

New

UCH vs UCD vs Fordham

Post by calinyc » Fri May 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Hello, I wanted to receive opinions on where to attend in the fall.

In: Fordham (no money); Davis (token amount); Hastings ($60k)
Waitlisted: UCLA and USC

Stats: 159, 4.0

I currently live in NYC, but would like to work in the Bay Area after law school. I only want to do public interest law. Retaking the LSAT or delaying a year is not an option since I'm older and want to get this process moving. Debt is certainly a consideration factor, but not a big one since my husband and I have money saved from working (we likely will not have to take out loans the first 3 semesters).

Thanks for any input.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: UCH vs UCD vs Fordham

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 2:45 pm

calinyc wrote:Hello, I wanted to receive opinions on where to attend in the fall.

I currently live in NYC, but would like to work in the Bay Area after law school. I only want to do public interest law. Retaking the LSAT or delaying a year is not an option since I'm older and want to get this process moving. Debt is certainly a consideration factor, but not a big one since my husband and I have money saved from working (we likely will not have to take out loans the first 3 semesters).

Thanks for any input.
oh boy. this will end well.

retaking the LSAT is always an option. attending either of those three schools with a 4.0 should not be

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri May 17, 2013 2:50 pm

You should definitely retake. It's worth waiting a year to save six figures of debt. Even if you're using savings to pay for it, you should retake and put the money towards something more worthwhile (eg a down payment on a house or something).

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri May 17, 2013 2:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
calinyc wrote:Hello, I wanted to receive opinions on where to attend in the fall.

Thanks for any input.
oh boy. this will end well.

retaking the LSAT is always an option. attending either of those three schools with a 4.0 should not be
+1. STOP WASTING THAT WONDERFUL GPA!

Seriously though, I don't want to imagine what I'd do to trade my 3.6 for a 4.0. Bump dat LSAT to a 170 and you could be looking at SB, and CN You'd also have a good shot at Y and H, but I picked the previously mentioned schools because they are in SF Bay Area and NYC.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri May 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Pray that you get off the UCLA waitlist. I really hope you do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 2:59 pm

DaRascal wrote:Pray that you get off the UCLA waitlist. I really hope you do.
this wouldn't help as much with getting a legal position in SF as retaking for boalt

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 3:06 pm

OP, my previous post about retaking still holds. However, I'll bite on your school decision.

Don't go to Fordham. It's a weak biglaw feeder for NYC-specific firms; it won't get you to SF, and it won't help you get solid PI work.

Between Davis and UCH:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=hastings
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=davis

Davis has a better PI score. So that's your best option between the two.

Clearly, these are all shit considering your UGPA. You could have gotten in to these doing coke before class, going out 5 nights a week and getting laid, barely pulling B-'s in your classes cause you were too busy lighting up and going for 2AM burritos... everything you probably missed out on gunning for that 4.0. When will you ever be paid off for all that hard work if not getting into a T10 law school with $$?

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:12 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
DaRascal wrote:Pray that you get off the UCLA waitlist. I really hope you do.
this wouldn't help as much with getting a legal position in SF as retaking for boalt
srsly. and boalt is (supposedly) really into GPAs, so it might not even take a huge jump in LSAT to get in. hitting 164 would put you above the lower quartile.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 pm

You have a 4.0.

PLEASE retake the LSAT. You would be seriously wasting your potential if you went to any of these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

K Rock

Bronze

Post by K Rock » Fri May 17, 2013 5:12 pm

The LSAT is a very learn-able test. Retake and you will have a chance at Berkeley and possibly even Stanford. You may not want to delay, but one year really isn't very long in the grand scheme of things. If you attend one of these schools it will be the biggest mistake of your life.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Now that you found TLS. Retake the LSAT and prep with the TLS LSAT prep forum. Seriously, this community helps people every cycle get a better score, through motivation, information and strategy.
You have the ability with that gpa to go to YHS. If you don't think that's realistic, shoot for the moon and land among the stars. T14 is within reach, serious $$$ at UCLA, etc. retake that LSAT, give it the attention it deserves, and you will NOT regret it.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Fordham won't get you to the Bay Area and Hastings and David are bad schools for getting jobs so you better retake

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Yup, retake.

I can't fathom why someone who wants to do PI in the Bay Area and has a Stanford worthy GPA would be considering a school like Fordham just because they are older than average and scared of a learnable test.

It's not your GPAs fault that you waited to get the ball moving. Please don't dishonor it by going to one of these schools, especially not at these prices.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri May 17, 2013 5:41 pm

rad lulz wrote:David
i heard they place well in ancient israel!

Also, OP you have the opportunity to waltz into Harvard with a score increase. WALTZING. I'm absolutely convinced that anyone can get a perfect score on the LG section given enough practice, and LR/RC is pretty friggin' learnable.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:47 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:

Also, OP you have the opportunity to waltz into Harvard with a score increase. WALTZING. I'm absolutely convinced that anyone can get a perfect score on the LG section given enough practice, and LR/RC is pretty friggin' learnable.
I agree about LG. RC is tougher to "learn" esp. for non-native speakers. but with a perfect LG & only one or two missed LR per section, you have to really fuck up RC to get below 165

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 17, 2013 5:50 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

I agree about LG. RC is tougher to "learn" esp. for non-native speakers. but with a perfect LG & only one or two missed LR per section, you have to really fuck up RC to get below 165
At least two people ITT have never heard of ZONES

But in all seriousness, fuck ZONES. Also fuck -10 curves every time you take the damn test.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

But in all seriousness, fuck ZONES. Also fuck -10 curves every time you take the damn test.
lol the zones were fine. what was fucked was the curve in the mid 170's in october. they pushed all the 175's down and eliminated the 175 score, so everyone from 170-174 should have been +1 point IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Not retaking would be a breathtakingly bad decision. You owe it to your awesome GPA to retake.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 8:07 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Not retaking would be a breathtakingly bad decision. You owe it to your awesome GPA to retake.
Ultimately, we dream of a time where the term "reverse splitter" is all but an obsolete term used only to refer to the idiocy of the past.

Will OP arise and embrace this brave new world, or shrink back and deny from the destiny of a critically weakened industry?

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:18 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Not retaking would be a breathtakingly bad decision. You owe it to your awesome GPA to retake.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat May 18, 2013 12:18 am

Yeah, "reverse splitter" should be a term from pre 2007 when your LSATs were averaged.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 am

retake, score 170+, enjoy the T14 with $$, profit.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat May 18, 2013 3:47 am

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

Yeah, it wasn't that bad. I was only -1 on that LG, and that's only because I ran out of time and had to guess on the last question due to messing up on the first set and having to redo several questions. It was much trickier on the surface than it reall was once you made sense of it and broke it down.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat May 18, 2013 10:11 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”