UC Davis vs Hastings vs UW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Re: UC Davis vs Hastings vs UW

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Davis is aight cuz Micdiddy went there for UG and he helped me out on some LSAT shit. I will no longer diss the U C of D.

Also OP, if cost really isn't an issue, then I'd go Davis. Hastings is pretty ghetto man. It's in SF, but it's in ghetto SF.

But please continue to hit in the school itself (especially law school). Everyone has my blessing for that.

UC Davis Law is crap but its not all bad for undergrad as far as public universities are concerned. no one should be hating here (except Dre has special permission). Davis is one of the strongest state schools for botany/biology/agro, if you're into that. their Ph.D math program isn't too bad either

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:UC Davis = shit school.

But whoah. What the hell is this about the town of Davis sucking? That place is pretty sick. I normally hate on California, but when it comes to Davis, that's the only place that keeps it real. ChampagnePapi is just jealous as fuck cause he/she lives in a polluted, crime infested, boring (like Irvine), cookie-cutter, city.

*dead*

Excuse me, what am I jealous of?

What school did you go to?

With how bitter you are about CA/UC I'm guessing you went to Merced or Riverside. I would hate California too if I went to those places.

Please take a screenshot of your transcript and show us where you went. Or better yet stay in the LSAT prep forum or you may end up having the same choices as the OP in a year.

Dre, I sure hope you mean those as mutually exclusive for Irvine or you are crossing the boundaries of truth and troll. You know Irvine was voted safest city in the nation 3 years in a row. It's the opposite of crime ridden. It's not polluted at all. Cookie cutter and boring -- yes, that I grant you.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 pm

also we should end this before YET ANOTHER thread turns into raging about how much CA sucks/doesn't suck lol

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 17, 2013 7:39 pm

never said irvine was crime infested, just that it was boring

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:never said irvine was crime infested, just that it was boring

well I don't see how anyone could disagree on that

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 17, 2013 7:51 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:UC Davis = shit school.

But whoah. What the hell is this about the town of Davis sucking? That place is pretty sick. I normally hate on California, but when it comes to Davis, that's the only place that keeps it real. ChampagnePapi is just jealous as fuck cause he/she lives in a polluted, crime infested, boring (like Irvine), cookie-cutter, city.

*dead*

Excuse me, what am I jealous of?

What school did you go to?

With how bitter you are about CA/UC I'm guessing you went to Merced or Riverside. I would hate California too if I went to those places.

Please take a screenshot of your transcript and show us where you went. Or better yet stay in the LSAT prep forum or you may end up having the same choices as the OP in a year.

Micdiddy wrote:You're just gonna keep this going the whole thread? Fine, lets continue to be contentious about this one point, get it out of our systems.
I lived in Santa Barbara for a year and LA for two years. La was a total nightmare (for me).
When did you live in Davis? UG?

Its relevant to the OP, he doesn't care about debt and job prospects are about equal so he wants to know about quality of life. I was just making sure you're not one of those people who never left Davis as an adult but rave about it anyways.

So, you're one of those people who shit on living someplace but never lived there? Yes it was relevant to the thread, I just felt it was counter-productive (and logically flawed) on your part to try and call me out, especially when it seems you are the one without relevant experience. (I'm assuming you haven't lived here because I feel like you would have mentioned it if you have, but correct me if I'm wrong).
Matter settled as far as I am concerned. No hard feelings, IMO.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Person who was considering uc eye lol school talking smack? :lol:

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Hastings places much better in SF than Davis or U-Dub . . . but seriously though I'd much rather live in the suburbs than the tenderloin

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Fri May 17, 2013 7:55 pm

My gut is leaning towards Hastings, although Davis (I think, without looking it up) has slightly higher employment.

Despite Hastings being in the Tenderloin, SF is a cool city. It is kinda cold, though. Davis beats out on the warmth metric.

Seattle is also a nice city, but Seattle in the winter is akin to stepping into a lukewarm shower in a chilly room in September and then getting out of it in late May. I've lived in the PNW, and the rain sure isn't for everyone.

I'd rule out UW on those grounds alone. I definitely don't want to live in Washington or even in Oregon.

Hastings was an option I was considering somewhat strongly for a while. I withdrew from Davis before they even gave me an answer. Davis just isn't my kind of place.

Aside from having to live with folks (which may actually be a plus as you save COL), I say go with Hastings. Not living with parents is not a good enough reason to go to Davis; neither are the bicycles and on campus farms-or-whatever and the slightly warmer summer temps.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat May 18, 2013 2:26 am

I'm not the biggest Davis fan, but it's way better than Hastings. HASTINGS IS IN THE GHETTO. I don't care if it's in San Fran, you're gonna get robbed. There are so many homeless people around the area. Davis isn't my cup of tea, but it can be quite charming especially if you love the small college town feel. With the slightly better employment stats, I don't see how this is even an argument.

onionskin

Postby onionskin » Sat May 18, 2013 6:52 am

Cool I'm pleasantly surprised at (and eternally grateful for) the amount of debate/interest this is generating.

I have done a little bit of due diligence, and prima facie, Davis places MUCH better than Hastings overall (60% vs 46% - these are LST Employment Scores I don't know how they differ to actual employment) but I'm not sure how many of them make it back to the Bay Area. As I said before I'm not dead-set on working in SF at all just in the general region.

The Tenderloin doesn't bother me too much, I've spent enough time in SF and other major metropolitan areas to be comfortable with it and I certainly wouldn't be living in it. Oh and I'd be living on my own, just no rent/utilities/hassle of finding accommodation, but it is outside the city (East Bay). Horses for courses...

Since I guess we've more or less gotten QoL out of the way, can anyone speak to the learning experience at each of the schools? It's been mentioned that Hastings is notoriously competitive. I also know it has the biggest cohort in the state, if not the country... What does that mean for classes, if anything? I know it's still split into fairly average sized sections but things like course selection? Quality of facilities? Do kids still do the whole ripping pages out of textbooks thing?

To the person who mentioned it, I am still wait listed at UCLA (dinged at USC) and that would be my unequivocal first choice, regardless of how much I hate LA. But I don't rate my chances and I need to deposit at one of these three some time next week.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 am

Don't worry about the "learning experience," worry about getting a job (unlikely from all of these).

And Hastings has recently lowered its class size by like 20% or so and is not nearly as large as places like Harvard and Georgetown. Plus the ripping pages thing supposedly never happens, if you ask any law student in this country they will always say "people here are like, so totally not competitive!" etc., etc. It's kind of obnoxious actually.

onionskin

Postby onionskin » Sun May 19, 2013 2:44 am

What, the modern law school student is competitive about how noncompetitive he/she is? Nothing new there.

I'd like to feel that I'm getting more out of my law school experience than just maximizing my job prospects. If this were an investment, then of course I would have simply followed TCR of not going. But it's not.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:00 am

onionskin wrote:What, the modern law school student is competitive about how noncompetitive he/she is? Nothing new there.

I'd like to feel that I'm getting more out of my law school experience than just maximizing my job prospects. If this were an investment, then of course I would have simply followed TCR of not going. But it's not.

Even if your tuition and living expenses were covered somehow, it is still an investment. That's 3 years you could have been working and improving your work experience to better your resume. If you don't get a job as a lawyer, a JD from one of these schools isn't gonna do much for you, so that's a lot of lost time.

The only way maximizing job prospects shouldn't be the primary concern is if you are not going with the intent of getting a job as a lawyer and just want a JD from anywhere, which is usually a bad idea short of some really weird circumstance like you're a trust fund baby and you parents insist you get a JD to keep access to their absurd bank accounts.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am

The UC Hastings crim law clinic is pretty good, a lot of the participating offices let clinical students handle prelims, hearings and possibly some trials. And the UC Hastings lawyers for America program may be perfect for.

http://www.uchastings.edu/academics/cli ... /index.php

No one is going to think UW is prestigious in nor cal

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 am

onionskin wrote:What, the modern law school student is competitive about how noncompetitive he/she is? Nothing new there.

If you want an academically fulfilling & intellectually vibrant legal education, go to University of Chicago. These options are trade schools, not symosiums; they just aren't all that proficient at their trade.

For the most "life of the mind" of the three.. Davis IMO. Hastings doesnt even have a university.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sun May 19, 2013 10:40 am

alawstudentsometime wrote:Don't know if this will help, but for anyone considering Hastings, if you go to YouTube and search for "law school diary 1" you will come across a whole series of videos by a girl who recently graduated from Hastings named Shawn. Good for getting a sense of what it's really like.

Absolutely love Shawn. And she had a happy ending too (aka employment).

onionskin

Postby onionskin » Sun May 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Borhas wrote:The UC Hastings crim law clinic is pretty good, a lot of the participating offices let clinical students handle prelims, hearings and possibly some trials. And the UC Hastings lawyers for America program may be perfect for.

It's things like this that I'd like to know about each of the schools; thank you Borhas. I know about the Lawyers for America and how they're paying those who do it some kind of subsidy/scholarship, even if they're not working?, which is one of the things that really attracts me to Hastings. They also seem to have quite a lot of crim related classes and that recommended criminal curriculum, which I haven't seen at many other schools.

Do my other options have a similar kind of thing for people who want to do crim/public interest/notbiglaw etc?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 19, 2013 2:25 pm

onionskin wrote:
Borhas wrote:The UC Hastings crim law clinic is pretty good, a lot of the participating offices let clinical students handle prelims, hearings and possibly some trials. And the UC Hastings lawyers for America program may be perfect for.

It's things like this that I'd like to know about each of the schools; thank you Borhas. I know about the Lawyers for America and how they're paying those who do it some kind of subsidy/scholarship, even if they're not working?, which is one of the things that really attracts me to Hastings. They also seem to have quite a lot of crim related classes and that recommended criminal curriculum, which I haven't seen at many other schools.

Do my other options have a similar kind of thing for people who want to do crim/public interest/notbiglaw etc?

Each schools respective websites are a good source for this type of information. Also maybe email the admissions or career services departments?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun May 19, 2013 3:17 pm

onionskin wrote:Heart says Hastings, head says UW for prestige (it's a psychological thing) and what I assume is a much better job market (basically all of WA and OR with no real schools to compete with). Does anyone know what it is like to move sideways into the CA legal market (again DA etc) from another state?

I should probably add that going to Hastings would involve staying at home (no rent) and lots of family/social support nearby. I have never lived in nor been to Seattle. I don't know how much those things matter for law school.

As for debt, well. I'll leave that up to your imaginations. At the end of the day all I really want is an honest breakdown of differences between these three schools to help me make a choice, not discouragement or a lesson in responsible financial planning.

Tally so far:
Ranking doesn't matter = 1
Go to school where you want to work = 1

Any more?

Why not work in Seattle? Seattle has criminals but a lower crime rate, and a comparatively smooth-running D.A.'s office. UW is easily the superior law school, and you could theoretically get work in NorCal as a UW graduate; it will just take more networking. If it isn't a weather or family connections issue, you might want to consider Seattle further.

Clean; beautiful scenery and four real seasons; modern; great health care; a wide variety of top entertainment options (theater/opera, shopping, live music scene, restaurants and bars); all five major pro sports (once the Sonics and Metropolitans return); comparatively lower in crime; top colleges and universities locally (UW ranked as one of the top-50 or 60 in the world); great schools for kids; Seattle people are more more genuine, less superficial; more wealth per capita; eight Fortune-500 companies headquartered in Seattle-area; second-most degreed city in the U.S. (behind Washington, D.C.); recession-proof region (people here have jobs!); far less pollution; far more environmental consciousness; springs & summers are amazingly beautiful, and can reach 100 degrees; "Indian summers" are frequent; located near skiing; located 2-3 hours from either Portland or Vancouver, B.C. (Which is a very international city).

Downsides: rains more than NorCal; transportation/traffic can be a headache at times; lack of true racial diversity (mostly white with a sizable Asian community, fewer blacks and even fewer Latinos and American-Indians/"Native Americans")

For overall quality of life, Seattle is extremely hard to beat, my friends.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm

onionskin wrote:I'd like to feel that I'm getting more out of my law school experience than just maximizing my job prospects. If this were an investment, then of course I would have simply followed TCR of not going. But it's not.

Professional school is always primarily an investment in a career. Any other benefit you receive is ancillary. If your principal concern is intellectual satisfaction, then going to one of these law schools is just stupid. Enroll in a humanities/social sciences PhD program and get paid to think and write for a few years. You'll still have crappy employment prospects at graduation, but you'll have received net positive income rather than having needed to take on a quarter-million dollars in debt (at repayment), and you'll have spent the time in a more (likely much more) intellectually satisfying environment.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 19, 2013 8:11 pm

onionskin

Postby onionskin » Sun May 19, 2013 10:48 pm

Is it actually hard to get a job in Seattle, or are you not referring specifically to law jobs? I can't imagine it being any harder than the Bay Area and is public transportation actually worse?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”