Best Law Schools for Entrepreneurs Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NatalieCourtman

New

Best Law Schools for Entrepreneurs

Post by NatalieCourtman » Fri May 17, 2013 11:36 am

I was just wondering from your guys' experience, which law schools offer the best programs for students who want to get a hands on knowledge of entrepreneurship, start-ups, business innovation, etc.? I know Northwestern has a great program for this. Any others come to mind?

Thaaanks.

untar614

Silver

Re: Best Law Schools for Entrepreneurs

Post by untar614 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:39 am

Harvard and Stanford. Both also have the top business schools and a lot of [tech] startups going on on campus.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 11:45 am

untar614 wrote:Harvard and Stanford. Both also have the top business schools and a lot of [tech] startups going on on campus.
Lol I would say stanford and Cal for start ups but I have a slight CA bias there due to my startup exp.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 am

jbagelboy wrote:
untar614 wrote:Harvard and Stanford. Both also have the top business schools and a lot of [tech] startups going on on campus.
Lol I would say stanford and Cal for start ups but I have a slight CA bias there due to my startup exp.
probably for silicon valley sure, but don't sleep on Harvard. Facebook was started there! And I personally know at least a couple people over there doing some tech startup stuff. Prob a bigger advantage I'd say to Stanford is you could do JD/MBA in 3 years.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri May 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Facebook moved to Cali as soon as it realized it had any chance of being something.
Stanford is tcr, Berkeley is second tcr for tech startups.

Penn, NYU, CLS, Harvard, NU, SLS, Berkeley all have great MBA programs and probably offer cross school opportunities for students with your interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 12:08 pm

sinfiery wrote:Facebook moved to Cali as soon as it realized it had any chance of being something.
Stanford is tcr, Berkeley is second tcr for tech startups.

Penn, NYU, CLS, Harvard, NU, SLS, Berkeley all have great MBA programs and probably offer cross school opportunities for students with your interest.
Moreover, since we are talking about law school not UG, Google's first attorney-now-billionaire went to Boalt and started working with them as a student in berkeley.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm

NatalieCourtman wrote:best programs for students who want to get a hands on knowledge of entrepreneurship, start-ups, business innovation, etc.?
Business School does this.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri May 17, 2013 12:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Moreover, since we are talking about law school not UG, Google's first attorney-now-billionaire went to Boalt and started working with them as a student in berkeley.
Did not know this, really wish Berk wasn't so damn stingy :(

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:55 pm

USC's Small Business Clinic would be good for this. Also, there are several classes at the law school and biz school that deal with start-ups and new ventures.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 12:59 pm

sinfiery wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Did not know this, really wish Berk wasn't so damn stingy :(
yeup. they went on about it at ASW. Now one of Google's chief IP counsel is a GULC grad tho

http://www.wsgr.com/WSGR/DBIndex.aspx?S ... S/2736.htm

so there's definitely no monopoly

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
NatalieCourtman wrote:best programs for students who want to get a hands on knowledge of entrepreneurship, start-ups, business innovation, etc.?
+1000 why in the world would you go to law school wanting to get the bolded?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri May 17, 2013 1:18 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
yeup. they went on about it at ASW. Now one of Google's chief IP counsel is a GULC grad tho

http://www.wsgr.com/WSGR/DBIndex.aspx?S ... S/2736.htm

so there's definitely no monopoly
Can't find his major so I'm gonna assume it was finance. This is my new role model. :D

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 pm

JD/MBA at Wharton is pretty TCR

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:22 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
+1000 why in the world would you go to law school wanting to get the bolded?
Couldn't hurt if you want to counsel start-ups.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri May 17, 2013 1:27 pm

Harvard, Stanford, Boalt. Boston and Silicon Valley are the two hottest places in the country for startups. I don't know much about UT, but Austin has a burgeoning startup scene as well, so that might be something to check out.

Also, FWIW entrepreneurship clinics have been popping up at Bay Area law schools besides Boalt and Stanford (USF, SCU, Hastings). Probably because of proximity to all the different startups with offices in SV and SF

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Do you want to learn to represent founders/private companies from a legal perspective or do you want to learn about e-ship?

If you want to be the founder yourself, I'd recommend not going to law school, and even a JD/MBA wouldn't be all that helpful as most b-schools are pretty crap about teaching entrepreneurship, and law school or b-school alone would provide a "dip your toe into the water" sense of what it's like to be an entrepreneur, but neither would help you be expert. That isn't to say that successful startups aren't launched from business schools, but most "seasoned" entrepreneurs advise that you should put yourself on the line by going to start a company--then you'll understand what it's like. Similarly, most law schools have one or two classes on private company work, but that's not really enough to know what you're doing either.

If you just want to understand enough to better represent companies/founders, you should be able to do that at nearly any school--and there are angel and e-ship trade groups all over the country and linkedin. Certainly understand if it's an area of interest for you, but know that you shouldn't choose a law school based on this.

The skills that you use in private company work are really skills you can learn at nearly any law school- negotiating, drafting contracts, securities regulations, a smattering of IP/licensing, employment and other. Some schools will have more extensive seminars or clinics where you counsel entrepreneurs, but if you take classes that touch on the subjects above, show an interest in e-ship/seed stage work and have "biglaw cutoff" grades from a decent school, you should be able to get a job in the Valley (if that's your goal). We hire much more based on law school prestige/performance than interest in e-ship. I know of one associate at my firm who has the Duke e-ship LLM, but he graduated during the downturn and so it was a stopgap. You really don't need to focus on e-ship to end up working with entreprenuers, at least in the Valley.

If you are interested in finding out about the VC/entrepreneurial world now, I'd recommend the following resources:

Goodwin Procter's Founder's Workbench: http://www.foundersworkbench.com/
NVCA Model Legal Forms: http://www.nvca.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=136
Canaan Partners' Model Pitchbook: --LinkRemoved--
WSGR Term Sheet Generator: http://www.wsgr.com/WSGR/Display.aspx?S ... msheet.htm
Stanford's e-corner: http://ecorner.stanford.edu/
Y Combinator's Startup School: http://startupschool.org/

Hope this helps. PM offline if you want to know more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Stanford, Harvard, Penn

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 pm

dawyzest1 wrote: +1000 why in the world would you go to law school wanting to get the bolded [knowledge of entreprenuership, startups, business innovation]?
It could allow one to be even more hands-on insofar as legal issues are concerned. How many times have Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Nintendo been sued? True, successful companies are going to encounter legal issues or be sued anyways, but good legal counsel at the top is always a good preventative measure...all the better if the chiefs themselves have strong legal knowledge. The executive offices are ground-zero for the major decision-making, so its much better if they understand and employ in every decision their awareness of the synergy between law and business.

BTW, don't sleep on Northwestern or Penn. They offer three-year JD/MBA's and are great for startups.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”