LSAT score and 1L Grades

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
illiniguy1551
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

LSAT score and 1L Grades

Postby illiniguy1551 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:50 pm

So over a 1.5 year period, I had two 155 to 160 LSAT scores and then a third 164 score. I got into my #1 choice (Top 50) with substantial scholarship, median is a 163 (probably will be lower after this cycle). Should I be concerned that because I had to work so hard for my LSAT score, that I will be at a disadvantage to others who did not have to study as hard for the LSAT come exam time? Or is a slew of other factors that determine grades? Basically, I don't want to attend a school where I would be at an immediate disadvantage.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: LSAT score and 1L Grades

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:So over a 1.5 year period, I had two 155 to 160 LSAT scores and then a third 164 score. I got into my #1 choice (Top 50) with substantial scholarship, median is a 163 (probably will be lower after this cycle). Should I be concerned that because I had to work so hard for my LSAT score, that I will be at a disadvantage to others who did not have to study as hard for the LSAT come exam time? Or is a slew of other factors that determine grades? Basically, I don't want to attend a school where I would be at an immediate disadvantage.

It's 15%.

That's 3-4 times GPA though, so there are other factors but none as big as the LSAT, which is why people like Lionel Hultz who get 148 and go to law school are going against the odds and likely (though not guaranteed) to never earn over 20k in law.

User avatar
Scotchandsoda
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 am

Re: LSAT score and 1L Grades

Postby Scotchandsoda » Thu May 16, 2013 4:06 pm

no.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: LSAT score and 1L Grades

Postby buddyt » Thu May 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Cool, this thread again.

illiniguy1551
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: LSAT score and 1L Grades

Postby illiniguy1551 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:26 pm

buddytyler wrote:Cool, this thread again.


Lol sorry. I looked through some other threads, but none I saw really addressed people who had seen significant jumps on a retake after a year of studying. And if they did and I overlooked it, I APOLOGIZE.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: LSAT score and 1L Grades

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 16, 2013 4:28 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:
buddytyler wrote:Cool, this thread again.


Lol sorry. I looked through some other threads, but none I saw really addressed people who had seen significant jumps on a retake after a year of studying. And if they did and I overlooked it, I APOLOGIZE.

i don't think they have this statistic, but if you have the wisdom and work ethic to retake, and can learn from past mistakes, that's likely more indicative of how you'll do than the score alone.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: LSAT score and 1L Grades

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 5:29 pm

You're fine. the fact that you worked so hard to take 3x and actually improve is a testament to your strength as a law school student, not your initial score. Just work as hard as you did prepping your third LSAT on your finals and anyone reading the signs would say you're more likely to land above median than below it. People in law school work hard and you've demonstrated you are willing to do that to achieve your goals.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: LSAT score and 1L Grades

Postby North » Thu May 16, 2013 10:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:You're fine. the fact that you worked so hard to take 3x and actually improve is a testament to your strength as a law school student, not your initial score. Just work as hard as you did prepping your third LSAT on your finals and anyone reading the signs would say you're more likely to land above median than below it. People in law school work hard and you've demonstrated you are willing to do that to achieve your goals.

TYFT.

I made a big jump and might have been a little concerned too.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests