UCLA ($$$) vs NYU ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU UCLA

NYU (25K, 25K, 12.5K)
58%
UCLA (46K,41K,41K)
42%

Total votes: 53

yantasticguy

UCLA ($$$) vs NYU ($$)

Postby yantasticguy » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi future lawyers,

Looking for help here. Admitted to UCLA with almost full ride. Recently admitted to NYU with 25k per year. Want to do entertainment law and UCLA has the top program in the nation. I am interested in media law and policy, and I would like to work for the Federal Communication Commission. My backup plan - I am well connected in Los Angeles (with studios), and I am interested in working junior-counsel, or potentially a non-lawyer job that leads to an executive role. I am leaning towards NYU, however, I want to live in LA, and I like the fact that the debt I will accrue at UCLA wont force me into biglaw. I also went to NYU undergrad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

JamMasterJ

Re: UCLA ($$$) vs NYU ($$)

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 pm

two threads?

yantasticguy

Postby yantasticguy » Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 pm

sorry, felt that this board was more appropriate for this.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Thu May 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Bit of a hard pick. You have two great options! UCLA places decently well in LA and has a strong alumni base from what I've heard. If you plan on staying in SoCal for the long haul, UCLA would seem to be a good fit. The benefit with NYU is that if LA doesn't work out, you have much better placement options nationally and in NY specifically.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu May 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Total COA for both?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Congrats on the massive NYU scholarship - that's fantastic! If you are determined that you want to live and practice in LA and you aren't biglaw or bust then I would go to UCLA. If there's a decent chance you'd want to wind up somewhere else then go to NYU, although that "somewhere else" would probably be NYC.

yantasticguy

Postby yantasticguy » Thu May 16, 2013 6:49 pm

The difference in COA is about 75-80K total. I am leaning towards UCLA, but it is tough to turn down such an attractive offer from NYU!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 6:50 pm

yantasticguy wrote: I am leaning towards NYU,

yantasticguy wrote:The difference in COA is about 75-80K total. I am leaning towards UCLA, but it is tough to turn down such an attractive offer from NYU!

you changed your mind already? :)

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu May 16, 2013 6:54 pm

yantasticguy wrote:The difference in COA is about 75-80K total. I am leaning towards UCLA, but it is tough to turn down such an attractive offer from NYU!

In general NYU is easily worth that much more than UCLA. With your specific situation I think it depends how strong your studio ties are. If you feel you can easily fall into a decent job with your connections, then definitely minimize your debt and go to UCLA. If you don't have a significant head start you'll be competing with a lot of other people for beginning lawyer jobs in entertainment, and it might not work out so hunky dory.
I'm not sure what you exact situation is, but I think the extra security NYU provides may be worth it for only 75-80k more, but my mind can easily be changed about this.
Two great options, try to honestly access how strong your ties are 'cause passing up NYU is a big decision.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Unless you're dead set in your area of interest, NYU and not even close

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Postby North » Thu May 16, 2013 10:21 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Unless you're dead set in your area of interest, NYU and not even close

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 pm

I picked UCLA on accident in the poll. I was going to choose NYU :| .

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Thu May 16, 2013 11:45 pm

North wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Unless you're dead set in your area of interest, NYU and not even close

This.

If you want to do entertainment law, you're going to need to get a job at a firm before you pursue that.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 11:47 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
North wrote:

This.

If you want to do entertainment law, you're going to need to get a job at a firm before you pursue that.

Yeah this is easily NYU.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 am

Does the OP even have actual ties to Southern CA?

The right answer is NYU, btw. You said you have connections, feel free to work those once you get that shiny degree and have some big law experience.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 am

Please don't listen to these law students here who are not actual practicing attorneys and can only follow the traditional legal hiring method.

I am an in-house entertainment lawyer who graduated in the last few years (so yes I dealt with current market conditions that were even worse than now). Go to UCLA. Build the networking connections. You might have connections but you need to continue to develop them constantly, especially in the entertainment industry. Save the money. NYU prestige is great but won't necessarily open doors in the entertainment industry that a UCLA degree could not open. Being where you want to work during law school so you can network and be in the midst of the action has enormous value. Jobs and opportunities randomly present themselves, and if you are not there you will miss out. Finding the rare entertainment job/internships is easier too if you are right where they will be. Outside of the big firm hiring, grades and school prestige is not as important (still important to go to a good school and have good grades, but the NYU vs. UCLA distinction is not as great so long as you have done well in applicable courses and have relative work/internship experience). Entertainment law is a difficult field to break into but is not a pipe dream if you are really determined. Coming out of law school with no debt gives you a lot of freedom on how to pursue your first post-grad job. You can handle taking a lower paying entry-level legal job in the entertainment field vs. having to get one of only a couple biglaw entertainment associate positions that exist.

If I was looking to hire someone or vouch for someone I would consider people that have built a personal connection with me. I would not be looking seriously at that student who goes to a school (albeit a top one) on the OTHER SIDE of the country that maybe has met me once or twice and just sends me emails. I'm going to be looking at that student who is right now in the market, has demonstrated they want to be here, that I have met multiple times over the years because they are physically here, and that maybe my peers can also recommend because they have either met the student as well or that student has done local internships with the firms/businesses around here that can vouch for that student.

Take the money and run. You will have less stress and can focus on getting internships and great experience. end of story.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 am

treeey86 wrote:Please don't listen to these law students here who are not actual practicing attorneys and can only follow the traditional legal hiring method.

I am an in-house entertainment lawyer who graduated in the last few years (so yes I dealt with current market conditions that were even worse than now). Go to UCLA. Build the networking connections. You might have connections but you need to continue to develop them constantly, especially in the entertainment industry. Save the money. NYU prestige is great but won't necessarily open doors in the entertainment industry that a UCLA degree could not open. Being where you want to work during law school so you can network and be in the midst of the action has enormous value. Jobs and opportunities randomly present themselves, and if you are not there you will miss out. Finding the rare entertainment job/internships is easier too if you are right where they will be. Outside of the big firm hiring, grades and school prestige is not as important (still important to go to a good school and have good grades, but the NYU vs. UCLA distinction is not as great so long as you have done well in applicable courses and have relative work/internship experience). Entertainment law is a difficult field to break into but is not a pipe dream if you are really determined. Coming out of law school with no debt gives you a lot of freedom on how to pursue your first post-grad job. You can handle taking a lower paying entry-level legal job in the entertainment field vs. having to get one of only a couple biglaw entertainment associate positions that exist.

If I was looking to hire someone or vouch for someone I would consider people that have built a personal connection with me. I would not be looking seriously at that student who goes to a school (albeit a top one) on the OTHER SIDE of the country that maybe has met me once or twice and just sends me emails. I'm going to be looking at that student who is right now in the market, has demonstrated they want to be here, that I have met multiple times over the years because they are physically here, and that maybe my peers can also recommend because they have either met the student as well or that student has done local internships with the firms/businesses around here that can vouch for that student.

Take the money and run. You will have less stress and can focus on getting internships and great experience. end of story.

A+ troll, would read again

Seriously though man, come on. His most likely outcome out of UCLA is doing small law somewhere in Southern CA (and even that might be tough if he isn't from CA). His most likely outcome out of NYU is working at a large law firm. I realize he said he likes the idea of not having to do big law but if he wants entertainment law or the FCC he's probably going to have to go that route.

I would only go to UCLA if I had strong ties to CA, debt wasn't too overbearing, I was ok with working at a small firm, and I realized there was about a 1/3 chance that I ended up with a law degree but no legal job. UCLA has quite good outcomes for a good chunk of the class but median there isn't a particularly good place, especially for the OPs stated goals. It's nice that things worked out well for you but do you really think an average student at UCLA would have that kind of success? The numbers and the anecdotes I have collected from current and former students there say no.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:13 am

Going to a top law school for nearly free to work in the market that school is located in and having the opportunity to network to break into one of the hardest industries to break into makes UCLA worth it.

Big-law burns you out. Lawyers mainly do biglaw to pay off those large loans to attend school and then are stuck there either because they have grown too accustomed to that lifestyle (ie: paycheck) or are now so specialized in a niche field of law that it is too difficult to start over again.

I gave my opinion as an actual in-house entertainment lawyer who is not far removed from law school myself. NYU is an incredible school, but going there does not mesh up with this career goals. If his career goals were prestigious clerking and big law I would concede that NYU with a partial scholarship is the better choice. If his goals are entertainment law in LA, then getting a top legal education for free and having the opportunity to network (and maybe this is why those students are not succeeding is because they are not networking properly---most of these jobs are not posted you need to hustle and be aggressive and be in the scene) would be advantageous to him. He is also not shut out of Big Law either coming from UCLA. Yes NYU places better but UCLA does pretty decent as well. Big law from UCLA given OP's stated goals would not be a necessary since he is not going to be burdened by debt. And no, you don't always have to do big law to get in-house. Plenty of stories out there that say otherwise. Mine included.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 am

I guess maybe my issue is that I feel going all in with UCLA does not provide the OP much of a backup plan at all. I get the sense that you are the exception, not the rule because all the UCLA grads I know are working at small firms, working in PI, or unemployed. But then again maybe I just know mostly kids who ended up in the bottom half of the class and things are better there than I realize?

I guess my feelings are that the OP probably won't fulfill his goals either way just because they are so hard to get and so better to have an NYU degree than a UCLA degree. But then maybe he would just hate being a lawyer (big law or otherwise) if he/she didn't get exactly what he wanted. I don't know, it's tough.

I definitely see the value in physically being in LA and around that industry, I just wonder how hard it would be for the OP to fulfill his/her goals and what the fallback would be if it doesn't work out.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 am

YOLO

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Unless you are both 100% sure of what you want to do AND you have connections in LA that you are willing to bet your career on, I would go to NYU here because it gives you a much better shot at the option to start in biglaw and lateral into an in-house gig.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri May 17, 2013 3:23 pm

What is "entertainment law" and to what extent is it a feasible option for someone who is not actually lateraling from a biglaw firm? I.e., is a career in entertainment law actually something one can prioritize over biglaw, or is it like almost everything else where working in a firm with relevant practices is the way you get in.

yantasticguy

Postby yantasticguy » Sun May 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Thank you all for contributing to this! I appreciate it very much!

It is very interesting to hear the differences in opinion between law school students and those who are graduated and are working lawyers. Ranking is certainly important (and prestige is tough to turn down), but I am not interested in working Big Law, therefore I am hesitant to take on the extra debt. My undergraduate degree is in journalism/media, and I want to work in media law, but I do understand that NYU will provide me with more opportunities in case I find something else to be more interesting during my studies in law. Tough decision; again, I truly appreciate all your posts!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun May 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Unless you are both 100% sure of what you want to do AND you have connections in LA that you are willing to bet your career on, I would go to NYU here because it gives you a much better shot at the option to start in biglaw and lateral into an in-house gig.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”