NorCal Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NorCal Schools

UC Hastings
26%
Santa Clara
56%
McGeorge
19%

Total votes: 27

nickb285

Re: NorCal Schools

Postby nickb285 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:42 pm

If OP has Asperger's or something similar, then his behavior is understandable but his decision is not. While I sympathize, social discomfort or behavior disorders are not a valid reason to make an objectively terrible financial decision.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:48 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I don't know, maybe we should go easier. It sounds like OP might have aspergers or some ADHD variant; untar was PMed some sensitive information, which even changed his approach and made it sound like a severe enough situation to merit this decision. family still paying CoL @ 33 years old means never really left the nest, didn't move out, typical of people with that condition; advancing late in life/not holding a steady job is another strong indicator; the type of categorical stubbornness associated with only taking an important test once (And not doing so hot on it) and refusing to consider retaking it is a very common personality trait for aspergers, and lastly, the social discomfort OP has felt in ITT and aggressiveness are associated symptoms

again, just a hunch, no offense intended

nickb285 wrote:If OP has Asperger's or something similar, then his behavior is understandable but his decision is not. While I sympathize, social discomfort or behavior disorders are not a valid reason to make an objectively terrible financial decision.

It's not that. Keeping it on a need to know basis, there aren't a whole lot of things OP could be putting his time toward productively instead. I suggested programming because I think that would be a viable option, and as I said, safer both from an investment and potential outcomes side.

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks to those with constructive input. Santa Clara seems the clear winner, but if anyone faced with a similar choice between schools, or currently attending one of the three would like to chime in, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

North

Postby North » Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 pm

alawstudentsometime wrote:Thanks to those with constructive input. Santa Clara seems the clear winner, but if anyone faced with a similar choice between schools, or currently attending one of the three would like to chime in, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Your poll has 11 votes in a thread with 52 posts and 512 views. It's obvious that the clear winner is 'none of the above.'

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri May 17, 2013 5:01 pm

alawstudentsometime wrote:Thanks to those with constructive input. Santa Clara seems the clear winner, but if anyone faced with a similar choice between schools, or currently attending one of the three would like to chime in, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I mean yeah, maybe it's the best choice of your options. But the scholarship stipulation is insane. If I had a choice between three different people's shit to eat, and two had just eaten a huge carne asada burrito with extra guacamole and hot sauce, and one person had eaten a fresh salad, I'd probably go with the fresh salad too.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

I mean yeah, maybe it's the best choice of your options. But the scholarship stipulation is insane. If I had a choice between three different people's shit to eat, and two had just eaten a huge carne asada burrito with extra guacamole and hot sauce, and one person had eaten a fresh salad, I'd probably go with the fresh salad too.

you made me laugh at work, now I gotta cover so it doesn't look like I was dicking around online

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

YOLO, Mal.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Santa Clara and Hastings were two of my choices last cycle. Hastings was actually my top choice. I found TLS and LST and decided to retake.

Now what can I do to help you?

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I mean yeah, maybe it's the best choice of your options. But the scholarship stipulation is insane. If I had a choice between three different people's shit to eat, and two had just eaten a huge carne asada burrito with extra guacamole and hot sauce, and one person had eaten a fresh salad, I'd probably go with the fresh salad too.

Legit lol'd.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Santa Clara and Hastings were two of my choices last cycle. Hastings was actually my top choice. I found TLS and LST and decided to retake.

Seriously. It's funny looking back on those days. Davis was my "dream school" once. Ewww.

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Fri May 17, 2013 5:18 pm

This is my second time applying to law schools (with the same score). Double or triple the money with no changes to the app. I need to stay close to family, no interest in Davis, and doubt that Stanford or Boalt will ever be likely. These are the choices, now or never. But I do appreciate the responses.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri May 17, 2013 9:51 pm

alawstudentsometime wrote:This is my second time applying to law schools (with the same score). Double or triple the money with no changes to the app. I need to stay close to family, no interest in Davis, and doubt that Stanford or Boalt will ever be likely. These are the choices, now or never. But I do appreciate the responses.

If it's now or never, I vote never.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 17, 2013 10:05 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
alawstudentsometime wrote:This is my second time applying to law schools (with the same score). Double or triple the money with no changes to the app. I need to stay close to family, no interest in Davis, and doubt that Stanford or Boalt will ever be likely. These are the choices, now or never. But I do appreciate the responses.

If it's now or never, I vote never.

Pretty much.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 pm

So...I just want to check in and make sure OP checks this link out before taking anyone's advice on where to go http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/law-s ... on-boards/

Also, 45k COA, is not a bad deal as long as you can live with it if you don't land a good enough job. Try to get the scholly stip lowered if possible though. Finally, retaking does not always help. Just like there are plenty of people who study hard, retake and get better scores, there are plenty of people who study hard, retake and get worse scores.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:So...I just want to check in and make sure OP checks this link out before taking anyone's advice on where to go http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/law-s ... on-boards/

Also, 45k COA, is not a bad deal as long as you can live with it if you don't land a good enough job. Try to get the scholly stip lowered if possible though. Finally, retaking does not always help. Just like there are plenty of people who study hard, retake and get better scores, there are plenty of people who study hard, retake and get worse scores.

Yeah, no

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 pm

I think I might go to Hastings even though the debt is objectively stupid and life ruining.

Definitely not deciding based on a bunch of MAF 0Ls opinions. Jbagelboy and a few others have been great. Will let know what decide.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun May 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:So...I just want to check in and make sure OP checks this link out before taking anyone's advice on where to go http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/law-s ... on-boards/

Lol. Clearly she doesn't actually read these forums, else she'd know people here are generally strongly opposed to using anecdotes as reliable evidence regarding law school decisions and advocate the use of actual employment data. Nor do I see people trying to claim to know who will get in where any more than rough comparisons to LSAT and GPA ranges. Sounds like her own personal problem if she went a little nuts in the admissions game and focused only on the troll posters. But of course Blueprint employees can be trusted to know everything. Congratulations, Laura. You have made me dislike your company.

Oh, and to the OP, do let us know what you do.
I still think this would be a better investment: http://www.ecs.csus.edu/wcm/csc/

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Sun May 19, 2013 10:08 pm

untar614 wrote:

Lol. Clearly she doesn't actually read these forums, else she'd know people here are generally strongly opposed to using anecdotes as reliable evidence regarding law school decisions and advocate the use of actual employment data. Nor do I see people trying to claim to know who will get in where any more than rough comparisons to LSAT and GPA ranges. Sounds like her own personal problem if she went a little nuts in the admissions game and focused only on the troll posters. But of course Blueprint employees can be trusted to know everything. Congratulations, Laura. You have made me dislike your company.

Oh, and to the OP, do let us know what you do.
I still think this would be a better investment: http://www.ecs.csus.edu/wcm/csc/

I get what you're saying. If doing something boring stressful and potentially soul crushing at least make sure there's an assured upside.

For me, reading and writing, no matter how arcane, are upside enough. If I really die before my life ends I might try this.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun May 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Seriously. It's funny looking back on those days. Davis was my "dream school" once. Ewww.

I really hope I'll be joining you guys. This cycle sucked.

Back to the grind. 20 days left.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 pm

OP, if you want to read and write then enroll in a humanities or social science PhD program in Northern California. You can read and write a lot, it will be more intellectually stimulating (most likely) and you won't have the soul crushing debt after. You probably won't have a job to show for it but that would be the same case going to one of these schools.

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Sun May 19, 2013 10:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:OP, if you want to read and write then enroll in a humanities or social science PhD program in Northern California. You can read and write a lot, it will be more intellectually stimulating (most likely) and you won't have the soul crushing debt after. You probably won't have a job to show for it but that would be the same case going to one of these schools.

Majored in Lit and half assedly applied to 3 PhD programs a few years ago. It is really tough to get in and even harder after that. I have also already been a teacher.

Less cut out for that than law, sadly, though my heart is there.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Given your approach to law school applications you're half-assedly doing that too. Maybe it is time to do something with your whole ass for once?

And how do you know you have an aptitude for law?

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Sun May 19, 2013 10:48 pm

You're right. When I was PTing 168 on the LSAT I stopped studying. 'twas Sept. I then freaked enough to no show for Oct.

After being in the hospital for two weeks I took the December test.

I began considering law school in 2003, and deferred UNC in 2011.

There's been so much ego restriction, procrastination and psych out related to LS that I need to just go.

If I'm no good at it (unlikely), or simply hate it, I will just leave. It's one of those just open the GDded book things.

ETA: Santa Clara it is. Finally :)

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 am

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 12:24 pm

alawstudentsometime wrote:You're right. When I was PTing 168 on the LSAT I stopped studying. 'twas Sept. I then freaked enough to no show for Oct.

After being in the hospital for two weeks I took the December test.

I began considering law school in 2003, and deferred UNC in 2011.

There's been so much ego restriction, procrastination and psych out related to LS that I need to just go.

If I'm no good at it (unlikely), or simply hate it, I will just leave. It's one of those just open the GDded book things.

ETA: Santa Clara it is. Finally :)

Seeing as its done, no point in continuing the "Retake" debate.

I sincerely believe SCU was the best of your choice. Congratulations. I hope you succeed there!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”