UMN $$$ vs. USC $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jessierocks

UMN $$$ vs. USC $

Postby jessierocks » Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 am

I am an international student who wants to enter biglaw after graduation if possible. Here I got a full ride at UMN and a $60k at USC. Which one should I choose? I heard that Asians cannot find a job after graduating from USC, is that true? If I go to UMN, I'll try to transfer to some better school later.

Really need your advice!

Golden Bear 11

Re: UMN $$$ vs. USC $

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:08 am

Where did you hear that from?

And no, don't go to a law school with the intent to transfer

valrath

Postby valrath » Tue May 14, 2013 1:09 am

Don't go to a school looking to transfer, it's not that easy. UMN is good if you don't mind practicing in Minnesota, especially with the reduced debt, but you most likely won't get biglaw from there. USC has a much higher biglaw placement, but you'll be take on a substantial amount of debt.

Depending on how much debt you're comfortable with, you may want to adjust your goals.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 am

if you want biglaw, retake

jessierocks

Postby jessierocks » Tue May 14, 2013 1:22 am

Golden Bear 11 wrote:Where did you hear that from?

And no, don't go to a law school with the intent to transfer

An Asian graduate from USC and an Asian 1L at USC. You mean I will be disappointed if the transfer doesn't work out? Is USC really worth the debt?

jessierocks

Postby jessierocks » Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 am

valrath wrote:Don't go to a school looking to transfer, it's not that easy. UMN is good if you don't mind practicing in Minnesota, especially with the reduced debt, but you most likely won't get biglaw from there. USC has a much higher biglaw placement, but you'll be take on a substantial amount of debt.

Depending on how much debt you're comfortable with, you may want to adjust your goals.

Can I get H1B if I am ok with practicing in Minnesota?

jessierocks

Postby jessierocks » Tue May 14, 2013 1:25 am

Dr. Dre wrote:if you want biglaw, retake

Can't retake until next year. Also I can't afford an education with a scholarship less than 60K. :(

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 1:26 am

jessierocks wrote:

Can't retake until next year. Also I can't afford an education with a scholarship less than 60K. :(

then kiss your biglaw dreams good-bye

jessierocks

Postby jessierocks » Tue May 14, 2013 1:27 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
jessierocks wrote:

then kiss your biglaw dreams good-bye

Can't I be one of the 30% of graduates from USC who go to biglaw?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 am

jessierocks wrote:
Can't I be one of the 30% of graduates from USC who go to biglaw?

:lol:

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:54 am

Very few law firms would sponsor you H1B visa, unless you are a top student from a top school, and neither of these two schools is top school. Also, don't assume you can transfer, most likely you would end up median after the first year.
I know a few international students who are current 1L at UMN, most of them plan to go back to their home country to work after graduate. For instance, if you are from China, some big firms who have office there may hire you to work at US for one year then send you to their local China office.
I don't know any USC law students, but I visited there before and heard there are TONS of Asian students. Your foreign language skill or diversity won't give you any advantage if you go there.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 am

Sorry, my friend, but for international students, it really is T13 or bust.

You will NEED biglaw because it's the only type of employer that will sponsor a visa for you and only the T13 (removing GULC because of lower biglaw placement) give you a decent chance at biglaw.

Falling at the median (which is the most likely outcome) at any non-T13 school means you will probably not find a job that will sponsor you, you'll have to go home, and you would have wasted three years of your life. Not worth it.

And this is not even taking into account the disadvantages you will have from not having ties, being a foreigner who is unfamiliar with the culture, having an accent, etc.

valrath

Postby valrath » Tue May 14, 2013 2:09 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Sorry, my friend, but for international students, it really is T13 or bust.

You will NEED biglaw because it's the only type of employer that will sponsor a visa for you and only the T13 (removing GULC because of lower biglaw placement) give you a decent chance at biglaw.

Falling at the median (which is the most likely outcome) at any non-T13 school means you will probably not find a job that will sponsor you, you'll have to go home, and you would have wasted three years of your life. Not worth it.

And this is not even taking into account the disadvantages you will have from not having ties, being a foreigner who is unfamiliar with the culture, having an accent, etc.

Does this hold for Canadian citizens going to school in the states as well?

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 am

valrath wrote:
stuckinthemiddle wrote:Sorry, my friend, but for international students, it really is T13 or bust.

Does this hold for Canadian citizens going to school in the states as well?

As long as you need working visa , you will have big disadvantage for finding a legal job in US.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue May 14, 2013 2:26 am

Haha, I don't know. Do Canadians need the same type of sponsorship as other foreigners? If yes, then the answer is most likely yes (although at least there won't be as serious cultural/language barriers).

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:34 am

jessierocks wrote:

retake next year then, im not seeing the problem here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”