Is UNC worth $8-12k more than Wake Forest?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake Forest vs UNC

Wake ($xx,xxx)
75%
UNC ($xx,xxx + $8-12,000)
25%

Total votes: 20

leonsandcastle

Is UNC worth $8-12k more than Wake Forest?

Postby leonsandcastle » Mon May 13, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm out of state, willing to pay for either. As the title suggests, UNC is more expensive by $8-12,000 per year.

From what the ABA numbers suggest, there is no material difference between the schools. I have visited W-S and CH, but really didn't feel like I got a great idea of the essence of either area.

As far as work, I have no ties in NC but plenty in my home state of FL and in GA/SC. Would like to end up in mid- or biglaw in either ATL, CLT, or DC.

Thanks in advance for the help.

valrath

Re: Is UNC worth $8-12k more than Wake Forest?

Postby valrath » Mon May 13, 2013 10:23 pm

They're both about the same, with UNC maybe marginally better. Definitely not worth the 8-12k difference though.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 pm

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Don't go to either expecting mid-law or big-law. Especially not in Florida. UNC and Wake place an extremely low percentage of people in biglaw period. Also, don't expect to get instate tuition at any point at UNC. It is incredibly difficult. If you want more detailed answers PM me.

leonsandcastle

Postby leonsandcastle » Tue May 14, 2013 7:19 am

dabbadon8 wrote:Don't go to either expecting mid-law or big-law. Especially not in Florida. UNC and Wake place an extremely low percentage of people in biglaw period. Also, don't expect to get instate tuition at any point at UNC. It is incredibly difficult. If you want more detailed answers PM me.

I don't anticipate returning to Florida, and understand the difficulties of gaining employment in a place where I have no ties. I think I calculated 14-16% of grads of either school go into 101+ firms, so the odds are against me but I accept that. I certainly wouldn't be so naive as to expect mid or biglaw. That's just the master plan.

leonsandcastle

Postby leonsandcastle » Tue May 14, 2013 7:21 am

sublime wrote:As someone also in Florida but going out of state, have you done any research about how hard it would be to get back? I am not counting on it, but would love to have it as an option.

I'm no expert, but from what I have seen, you can get back to Florida but it is extremely tough to get anything lucrative. I've read on here that the really good legal jobs in SFla, Tampa, Jax, and Orlando are reserved for T14+Vandy/Emory/Duke or the top of the class at in-state schools. I may be wrong though.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue May 14, 2013 7:44 am

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Tue May 14, 2013 9:38 am

Absolutely not. As a lifelong resident of the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area, both Wake and UNC are on equal footing around here in terms of academics and prestige. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know. However, I will admit that UNC's alumni presence is MUCH stronger in NC just due to sheer numbers. Wake alums = rabid. UNC alums = everywhere. But I would never, ever pay more for one over the other unless you REALLY prefer a certain location.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 14, 2013 7:42 pm

leonsandcastle wrote:
sublime wrote:As someone also in Florida but going out of state, have you done any research about how hard it would be to get back? I am not counting on it, but would love to have it as an option.

I'm no expert, but from what I have seen, you can get back to Florida but it is extremely tough to get anything lucrative. I've read on here that the really good legal jobs in SFla, Tampa, Jax, and Orlando are reserved for T14+Vandy/Emory/Duke or the top of the class at in-state schools. I may be wrong though.

This is some vicious anti-Duke trolling right here.

Anyway OP sounds like neither is good for your goals, I would aim for Vandy/Duke (only at a reasonable cost, of course).

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 8:08 pm

I don't know much about how the law schools are perceived locally, but nationwide UNC Chapel Hill has a far more prestigious university reputation than Wake Forest

edit: obviously don't base this decision on this criteria I was just pointing this out. I'd go to UNC if there was a consistently 5%+ delta in biglaw+AIII placement, otherwise whichever is cheaper

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 pm

What are your GPA and LSAT?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”