Emory or UGA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory or UGA

UGA (Resident Tuition for 3 years)
80%
Emory ($45k Scholarship)
20%

Total votes: 20

Pure Protein

Emory or UGA?

Postby Pure Protein » Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Last edited by Pure Protein on Mon May 11, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dawyzest1

Re: Emory or UGA?

Postby dawyzest1 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 pm

I'd definitely go to UGA if I were you. If you were thinking of leaving the state Emory would be the better option, but never at such a steep price.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon May 13, 2013 9:16 pm

I don't think the marginally better employment prospects at Emory justify the extra 60k. With your ties, there's no door that the Emory opens that UGA cannot if you have the grades. Especially if you're not opposed to Atl BigLaw, then definitely UGA - it's largely the same firms at both OCIs and the grade cutoffs are roughly the same.

Also, have you tried negotiating with UGA?

cm2015

Postby cm2015 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:38 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Also, have you tried negotiating with UGA?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue May 14, 2013 8:47 am

Both of these schools are not well suited to work at a firm with +250 attorneys. UGA only puts 17% of its students in such positions, and Emory only puts 23%. You might want to consider retaking the LSAT to target Duke or Vanderbilt if you really want to work at a large firm in the South.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Both of these schools are not well suited to work at a firm with +250 attorneys. UGA only puts 17% of its students in such positions, and Emory only puts 23%. You might want to consider retaking the LSAT to target Duke or Vanderbilt if you really want to work at a large firm in the South.

I'm certain that those numbers aren't right.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue May 14, 2013 8:54 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Both of these schools are not well suited to work at a firm with +250 attorneys. UGA only puts 17% of its students in such positions, and Emory only puts 23%. You might want to consider retaking the LSAT to target Duke or Vanderbilt if you really want to work at a large firm in the South.

Emory:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=emory

UGA:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=georgia

Note that they define "large firm" as 100+ lawyers, so the actual number of students going to firms of 250+ lawyers is even smaller.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

The numbers are right, but also taking into account the people who get fed clerkships (6% at Emory, 7% at UGA) gives you a more realistic picture.

IMO, $60k is too much for that small a difference. Also, lets not forget that the scholarship at Emory has stipulations, however low they might be, while at UGA, you just need to become a resident (or already be one, of course - you grew up in Ga, right?) to get that price.

bakaaw

Postby bakaaw » Tue May 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Another thing to consider that may favor UGA if you're looking to stay in state long-term: most all UGA grads will be in Atlanta or at least Georgia after getting some JD, whereas far more Emory grads will go outside the state for employment. So the network you cultivate at UGA will be just as, if not more valuable, than what you may foster at Emory.

doyouevenlift

Postby doyouevenlift » Tue May 14, 2013 12:55 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

The numbers are right, but also taking into account the people who get fed clerkships (6% at Emory, 7% at UGA) gives you a more realistic picture.

IMO, $60k is too much for that small a difference. Also, lets not forget that the scholarship at Emory has stipulations, however low they might be, while at UGA, you just need to become a resident (or already be one, of course - you grew up in Ga, right?) to get that price.

scholarship stip at emory is just to remain in good standing.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 14, 2013 12:59 pm

I wouldn't pay that much for either especially considering OPs career goals

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 14, 2013 1:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't pay that much for either especially considering OPs career goals

Yup, ran here to say this

gatorlaw55

Postby gatorlaw55 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't pay that much for either especially considering OPs career goals

similar situation but with GA State in the mix as well. OP, I think the price difference between Emory and UGA is way too high for very similar job prospects, especially if you plan to stay in GA.

question for others: would UGA be justifiable if COA was around 83k? (looking at 58-61k for GA state)

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 pm

gatorlaw55 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

similar situation but with GA State in the mix as well. OP, I think the price difference between Emory and UGA is way too high for very similar job prospects, especially if you plan to stay in GA.

question for others: would UGA be justifiable if COA was around 83k? (looking at 58-61k for GA state)

For a strong regional I would think about 80K max, but probably closer to 60K. Just too much of a chance that you won't end up as a lawyer at all after those three years and I wouldn't want to be saddle with debt I couldn't pay off by working in my previous field.

But maybe PAYE is a total game changer, I have no clue

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:57 pm

(disclosure: Emory Law alum)

If you are not in the top 25% at either of the schools then Emory is better than UGA.

Here is why:

- Emory is actually located in the only viable market in GA: Atlanta. Emory students from 2L on can more easily network, work during the year, build relationships, and hustle to acquire jobs/opportunities outside of the traditional OCI approach.

- Once you take the GA bar the whole bias for UGA students becomes moot. Firms want to hire students that will stay in the market. Going to UGA creates a presumption you will stay in GA. Going to Emory does not. However, signing up and taking the GA bar creates that presumption and firms are no longer wary.

- Plenty of Emory alums in top positions throughout the GA legal market than this website credits. That alumni network is on par with the power of UGA's.

- The general vibe is the Emory degree is more prestigious.

The market still sucks. 60-75% of your graduating class will likely not be hired at time of graduation. I know people that went to both schools. UGA is a good program no knocks against it. At the end of the day though, most law students have to hustle to find that first break, and many of the jobs that become available open up due to connections and networking. Being able to live in Atlanta and network and connect with practitioners on a daily basis is a huge advantage Emory has over UGA. I believe Emory is the safer although more expensive pick.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 4:44 pm

No way to squeeze another few grand out of UGA with your Emory scholarship? Seems to me as a higher ranked/more prestigious institution they would recognize it as such. If UGA was half the price of Emory ($80K or less) it would be an easier play for me. Here I'd still tilt towards the better employment at Emory over cheaper cost considering the delta.

Your UGA value at $108K is strictly tuition/fees/CoL. It would go up a little with interest if you're loaning. Is Emory's calculated the same way?

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:42 pm

treeey86 wrote:(disclosure: Emory Law alum)

If you are not in the top 25% at either of the schools then Emory is better than UGA.

Here is why:

- Emory is actually located in the only viable market in GA: Atlanta. Emory students from 2L on can more easily network, work during the year, build relationships, and hustle to acquire jobs/opportunities outside of the traditional OCI approach.

- Once you take the GA bar the whole bias for UGA students becomes moot. Firms want to hire students that will stay in the market. Going to UGA creates a presumption you will stay in GA. Going to Emory does not. However, signing up and taking the GA bar creates that presumption and firms are no longer wary.

- Plenty of Emory alums in top positions throughout the GA legal market than this website credits. That alumni network is on par with the power of UGA's.

- The general vibe is the Emory degree is more prestigious.

The market still sucks. 60-75% of your graduating class will likely not be hired at time of graduation. I know people that went to both schools. UGA is a good program no knocks against it. At the end of the day though, most law students have to hustle to find that first break, and many of the jobs that become available open up due to connections and networking. Being able to live in Atlanta and network and connect with practitioners on a daily basis is a huge advantage Emory has over UGA. I believe Emory is the safer although more expensive pick.

Couple of things here - and to disclose as well, I'm at UGA atm.

First, and most importantly, if both were free, I'd go to Emory. Emory places a few percentage points better. End of story.

However, we're talking about $60k. So other things come into play.

treeey86 wrote:Emory is actually located in the only viable market in GA: Atlanta. Emory students from 2L on can more easily network, work during the year, build relationships, and hustle to acquire jobs/opportunities outside of the traditional OCI approach.

I built quite a few relationships with lawyers in Atlanta over the past year. I couldn't have done more, even if I had more opportunities - there just wasn't the time. I was in Atlanta every weekend - it's not that far. I see no advantage here, especially when you consider the network (see below).

treeey86 wrote:Once you take the GA bar the whole bias for UGA students becomes moot. Firms want to hire students that will stay in the market. Going to UGA creates a presumption you will stay in GA. Going to Emory does not. However, signing up and taking the GA bar creates that presumption and firms are no longer wary.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the statement, here's a big difference between OCI and when you take the bar - two years difference. During those two years, UGA people will be networking with people who don't wonder if we'll be leaving for bigger and brighter cities after school.

treeey86 wrote:Plenty of Emory alums in top positions throughout the GA legal market than this website credits. That alumni network is on par with the power of UGA's.

First sentence - totally agree. Lots of top emory people in top positions. Second sentence...listen, it's a numbers game. If both classes have 200-ish kids, and 125 of Emory students leave for other states every year, that means there's that many more UGA lawyers working in and around Atlanta.

treeey86 wrote:The general vibe is the Emory degree is more prestigious.

When I was making this decision, I cold-emailed a few lawyers from both schools.
'General vibe' is something that's hard to pin down, but I haven't heard any lawyer, from either school, say anything other than that they're looked at equally.

treeey86 wrote:Being able to live in Atlanta and network and connect with practitioners on a daily basis is a huge advantage Emory has over UGA.

I'm splitting this summer (1L), both in Atlanta. One from OCI, one from my own contacts. Most of my friends are working in Atlanta. I saw no 'huge' advantage.

To sum up, if both were free, I'd take the couple of percentage points placement and go to Emory. But for $60,000? I'll take (and took) UGA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”