Temple (full) vs. Villanova (Full)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
magp90

Re: Temple (full) vs. Villanova (Full)

Postby magp90 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:19 pm

hds2388 wrote:
magp90 wrote:
Peyton wrote:Is Drexel making any kind of a significant impact into Philly. Any?

When they first opened up, Philly was kind of intrigued to see where it would go because of the co-op programs, but in the past year or two... they just haven't been able to reliably place people into jobs. They just don't have the network.

And for what it's worth, I have spoke to many, many Villanova grads who would go to Temple if given the option again.

Yeah, but we're talking T2 law schools here, so some of the people graduating from 'Nova without the job they imagined/wanted (or a job at all) would likely, in hindsight, say they wanted to go to the cheaper option (Temple), or an option that seemed rosier based on grass-is-greener reasoning.

Here, the OP is confronted with a situation with roughly identical costs. I think the numbers that have been thrown around here indicate the schools produce similar outcomes for graduates (the firms in Philly do tilt slightly toward Temple [perhaps explained by the greater number of grads], but the overall NLJ placement leans toward 'Nova). I think at this point, then, it makes the most sense to go with the campus/location/programming you like the most. It's a nice luxury for OP to be able to make this decision based solely on those factors.

I'm actually talking about all things being equal. I know people who got a full-ride to Villanova who are even attorneys now who told me to go to Temple even if I had to pay a little more. It's just anecdotal, and if you work hard at either place, you should be fine. All I'm saying is that there appears to be a slightly appreciable difference at some level.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 2:13 pm

sounds to me reading briefly through this thread that the debate of one school over another comes down to a "Grass is Greener" mentality amongst the alumns who are all unsatisfied since neither school opens up great opportunities. Kind of ironic. fortunately OP has full tuition scholarships which makes the decision viable

just go where you like better

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon May 20, 2013 5:42 pm

jbagelboy wrote:sounds to me reading briefly through this thread that the debate of one school over another comes down to a "Grass is Greener" mentality amongst the alumns who are all unsatisfied since neither school opens up great opportunities. Kind of ironic. fortunately OP has full tuition scholarships which makes the decision viable

Hey, just wanted to point out that most of this thread has been based on other folks impressions and observations of alums. I agree the schools are relatively even, but as a rising Temple 3L, I have to say I'm satisfied with my decision to attend Temple. So far my future seems pretty bright, and I think the same can be said for a lot of my friends. I don't know too many people who are struggling to find work. I know the employment outcomes aren't great on LST, but I honestly don't know any rising 3Ls without something decent lined up for the summer, and a good number have a legitimate chance of their summer leading to a legal job after graduation. Many of my friends, and they're not all on law review, seem to have good summer associate positions lined up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not, in anyway, saying this isn't a risky investment without a scholarship, but Temple students do okay for themselves.

I honestly believe employment data for my class will be much better, but of course that is purely speculative stuff. I think the question is, for people who don't work at a large firm or DA type government organization, whether they will be able to secure jobs after their 2L summer experience.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Justathought wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:sounds to me reading briefly through this thread that the debate of one school over another comes down to a "Grass is Greener" mentality amongst the alumns who are all unsatisfied since neither school opens up great opportunities. Kind of ironic. fortunately OP has full tuition scholarships which makes the decision viable

Hey, just wanted to point out that most of this thread has been based on other folks impressions and observations of alums. I agree the schools are relatively even

that's what I said

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Fair enough. I would like to point out that most recent alums I know seem satisfied with their decision to attend Temple. I can't speak to Nova's alumni base, but since the schools are so similar, I have to believe sentiments would be comparable.

Note: Satisfied does not mean unburdened with debt because of a high paying job.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon May 20, 2013 9:33 pm

I just wish Temple built a new building. No more undergraduate student dorms - law school building, please. I don't even want to know what Klein Hall used to look like before it was remodeled inside...

Villanova, Rutgers-Camden and Drexel all have newer facilities that were built quite recently...

stressed2010

Postby stressed2010 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Rising Temple 3L here. Just want to add that the employment prospects are not rosy at all. Full disclosure, I'm just outside of the top 10%, on a journal, and published and my summer job absolutely sucks. I'm working for a small firm and there's no chance it'll lead to full time employment. Just wanted to add that as a counter to the previous poster. I have friends on law review in the top 5% of the class who are in similar positions. This isn't to scare anyone but just be wary that things aren't so great employment wise at Temple. The above poster and his colleagues must be in the select few who managed to land something spiffy. Most people I know are doing unpaid 1L type gigs. Not Temple's faulty just the way the current legal market it. My 2 cents anyway.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri May 24, 2013 1:42 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kujlhand_Look

Postby Kujlhand_Look » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:37 am

Keasbey wrote:In the off chance you lose your $$$ I'd much rather pay temples tuition than nova's.

TITCR

A lot can happen in life.

Nova needs to drop their sticker price by about 70%.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 am

Kujlhand_Look wrote:
Keasbey wrote:In the off chance you lose your $$$ I'd much rather pay temples tuition than nova's.

TITCR

Cool necro, Mr. First Post

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:21 am

Kujlhand_Look wrote:

TITCR

Honestly, if you rank that far down in your class at either, you're pretty much fucked anyway.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Kujlhand_Look wrote:

TITCR

Honestly, if you rank that far down in your class at either, you're pretty much fucked anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”