UCD vs. UCH vs. UCD

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school do you think is the best choice for an international student?

UC Davis
10%
UC Hastings
30%
UC Irvine
60%

Total votes: 10

xiaojimu

UCD vs. UCH vs. UCD

Postby xiaojimu » Mon May 13, 2013 3:27 am

So um... I am already admitted to Hastings, just haven't paid my deposits yet.
And I am still on WL for UCI and UCD.

If I do get admitted to all three eventually, which one do you think I should attend?
the deposit deadline for Hastings is this Wed, so I am going to pay my deposit anyway.

UCI: I am worried about it not fully ABA accredited and that it is still a very new school
UCD: I am worried about the job prospects since I am an international students, which makes finding jobs much harder
UCH: Good reputation and seemingly job prospects, but I don't really like the (city) environment, and its ranking is
lower than UCD (and possibly lower than UCI?)

Mal Reynolds

Re: UCD vs. UCH vs. UCD

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon May 13, 2013 3:35 am

What is the total cost of attending each of these schools? Do you have undergrad debt or savings? And do you want to practice in the U.S.?

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon May 13, 2013 3:37 am

None. Hastings is unequivocally NOT worth 250k+ non-dishargable debt.

Edit: You're an international student, no? So no loans?
Last edited by californiauser on Mon May 13, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon May 13, 2013 3:39 am

Assuming your paying sticker or close to it, definitely do not go to any of these schools. What are your numbers? Chances are a "retake or don't go" is in order.

xiaojimu

Postby xiaojimu » Mon May 13, 2013 3:49 am

Yes, I am an international student, so I cannot apply for financial aid.
Hence, total cost for attending all three schools should be about the same, depending on whether I get merit aid/scholarship.
But Hastings has agreed to give me merit aid/scholarship of some sort, though the amount remains to be seen.

And indeed, I hope to practice in the US in the future, perhaps in IP or International law, since I have a bachelor's
degree in Computer Science. I do not hv undergrad debts, and my parents are willing to support my law school fees.

My numbers are not typically high, and I have retaken LSAT once, which has put so much pressure on me throughout
the process. I do not see retaking/reapplying as an option because it would mean I have to return to my home country
and find a job or something to spend one year time on, before coming back to the US for law school.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon May 13, 2013 3:52 am

If you're not taking out debt, that's better than financing school through loans, but none of these schools are worth shelling out such exorbitant sums of money in my opinion.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon May 13, 2013 3:53 am

Hastings with no debt + CS degree isn't a bad bet. I'd go with that if you're not willing to retake.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:45 pm

xiaojimu wrote:Yes, I am an international student, so I cannot apply for financial aid.
Hence, total cost for attending all three schools should be about the same, depending on whether I get merit aid/scholarship.
But Hastings has agreed to give me merit aid/scholarship of some sort, though the amount remains to be seen.

And indeed, I hope to practice in the US in the future, perhaps in IP or International law, since I have a bachelor's
degree in Computer Science. I do not hv undergrad debts, and my parents are willing to support my law school fees.

My numbers are not typically high, and I have retaken LSAT once, which has put so much pressure on me throughout
the process. I do not see retaking/reapplying as an option because it would mean I have to return to my home country
and find a job or something to spend one year time on, before coming back to the US for law school.

If you have a CS degree, I have one question: can you use Ruby? If so, GET A JOB (everyone with a CS degree is getting snagged up these days), work for 2 years in the states and save money, retake the LSAT while you are working, and reapply and aim for as high as you can.

If Hastings gives you more than half tuition, it could be marginally worth it, but with your background you have so much earning power RIGHT NOW that it seems a shame to attend any law school with a less than 50% chance of even replicating those opportunities with a JD.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 13, 2013 8:13 pm

OP, don't go to lolschool with those options.

xiaojimu

Postby xiaojimu » Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
xiaojimu wrote:Yes, I am an international student, so I cannot apply for financial aid.

If you have a CS degree, I have one question: can you use Ruby? If so, GET A JOB (everyone with a CS degree is getting snagged up these days), work for 2 years in the states and save money, retake the LSAT while you are working, and reapply and aim for as high as you can.

If Hastings gives you more than half tuition, it could be marginally worth it, but with your background you have so much earning power RIGHT NOW that it seems a shame to attend any law school with a less than 50% chance of even replicating those opportunities with a JD.

I dunno Ruby :|
But I am not a US citizen, so if I get a job in the states, I would probably have to sign, at least, a 5-year contract with the company to get legal status...

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 12:38 pm

xiaojimu wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I dunno Ruby :|
But I am not a US citizen, so if I get a job in the states, I would probably have to sign, at least, a 5-year contract with the company to get legal status...

Okay. Ruby is whats in highest demand these days but thats fine. I know the visa situation can be tough for international students; one of my close friends from college had to return to korea to work since no firms he got jobs with could support his work visa. I still think the job route is better for you here than LS, but that's a personal decision.

You may want to check this list as well: http://www.taprecourse.com/exam-facts/6 ... ligibility
Please confirm that you attended one of these institutions... If you want to work in IP these days, you should be patent eligible (unless you go to a school like Cal where you'll maybe have soft IP litigation opportunities via clinics and connections). If you have an international CS degree, it may lack the necessary accreditation to practice IP law, which would make your goals coming out of Hastings even more elusive.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 14, 2013 1:00 pm

I would not go to any of these schools unless you get a huge scholarship or your parents are exorbitantly rich and you're ok with the high likelyhood that you will have spent three years of your life on a JD that will not get you a legal job.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”