U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby banjo » Tue May 14, 2013 11:50 am

I went to an undergrad on caliber with jbagelboy's, probably (I don't know for sure). I don't think the academic experience was worth the tuition, and it certainly did nothing for my cycle. But I met tons and tons of people just like me -- way more than in high school or after college -- and I had the time of my life socially. I don't know for sure that a state school wouldn't have provided the exact same experience, but right now, I would gladly pay for my future children to go to my alma mater if I can afford it down the line.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 11:53 am

Also for the record —

I grew up dirt poor, in a crime-infested part of los angeles. I was offered an excellent financial aid package from a well respected private university. If I had gone to a public school, I wouldn't have been offered that amount, or even close to it. So when you dirtbags assume that private universities are full of pretentious rich kids, think again. The middle class/upper-middle class composes the majority of california public schools. They are getting subsidized tuition because of taxes. Indeed, taxes that come from those who will never attend university: the poor, the minorities, indeed the black community. What a load of crap public schools are.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby toothbrush » Tue May 14, 2013 11:59 am

Dr. Dre wrote: So when you dirtbags assume that private universities are full of pretentious rich kids, think again.

Who's assuming that? UG's scoop up URM's with money just like law schools.

You seem mad too.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 pm

it's pretty clear you're assuming that, toothbrush.

you and your little friend—shredderrrrrr

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby toothbrush » Tue May 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:it's pretty clear you're assuming that, toothbrush.

you and your little friend—shredderrrrrr

your shtick is awful and you should feel awful.

see you at uci

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 pm

MODS PLEASE PUT THIS THREAD OUT OF ITS MISERY BEFORE I AM SUBJECTED TO LEARNING ANY MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PERSONAL LIVES OF TLSERS, THANK YOU.

-A CONCERNED CITIZEN OF THE TLS COMMUNITY

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 pm

toothbrush wrote:
see you at uci



are you really going to uci lol school? (i feel bad for you)

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue May 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Also for the record —

I grew up dirt poor, in a crime-infested part of los angeles. I was offered an excellent financial aid package from a well respected private university. If I had gone to a public school, I wouldn't have been offered that amount, or even close to it. So when you dirtbags assume that private universities are full of pretentious rich kids, think again. The middle class/upper-middle class composes the majority of california public schools. They are getting subsidized tuition because of taxes. Indeed, taxes that come from those who will never attend university: the poor, the minorities, indeed the black community. What a load of crap public schools are.


You have an absolutely killer schtick.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue May 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:MODS PLEASE PUT THIS THREAD OUT OF ITS MISERY BEFORE I AM SUBJECTED TO LEARNING ANY MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PERSONAL LIVES OF TLSERS, THANK YOU.

-A CONCERNED CITIZEN OF THE TLS COMMUNITY


Indeed.

It's sad; the OP was interesting. Though I doubt UofC will have much problem coming up with $$ for a new named scholarship within the next couple of years.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Also for the record —

I grew up dirt poor, in a crime-infested part of los angeles. I was offered an excellent financial aid package from a well respected private university. If I had gone to a public school, I wouldn't have been offered that amount, or even close to it. So when you dirtbags assume that private universities are full of pretentious rich kids, think again. The middle class/upper-middle class composes the majority of california public schools. They are getting subsidized tuition because of taxes. Indeed, taxes that come from those who will never attend university: the poor, the minorities, indeed the black community. What a load of crap public schools are.


I may not always agree with everything you say Dre, but you have your moments. Property tax evasion in wealthy suburbs in CA is actually a huge problem and it results in the underfunding of public education per Dre's statement above. I really hope you get into Harvard next year.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 12:20 pm

toothbrush wrote:If you feel offended I'm sorry but you outed enough of yourself to be open to that. Unfortunately, this isn't the thread for that and you didn't particularly ask - but welcome to the internet, and TLS.


shredderrrrrr wrote:You must be new around here.


It's your decision to lower the tenor of the forum, and the standard for its content, to this level. Not mine. I need no introduction to flaming: I played DOTA in high school (public high school in CA btw like Dre, not an Exeter kid here) and experienced a lifetime share of online trolls and shit-talking -- but that was from 14 year old prepubescent kids. We are all in our mid 20's - I think we should be old enough here to carry on a civil discourse.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby sinfiery » Tue May 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Dude, I played a lot of DotA. Solomid sf +60 lvl 9, razes plus bottle at 7 equals gtfo of this lane gank and dominate midgame, gg no re. Early bot, decent skadi.


In highschool I wanted to be a prodota player. Failed dreams.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 12:45 pm

sinfiery wrote:Dude, I played a lot of DotA. Solomid sf +60 lvl 9, razes plus bottle at 7 equals gtfo of this lane gank and dominate midgame, gg no re. Early bot, decent skadi.



oh this brings back so many memories... range agi heros like sf were often so OP for early lane play tho. a couple minutes farming a lane with last hit and you're solid. I would go skadi on sniper sometimes but didn't play sf much

people trolled so much tho. if memory serves, solo mid was actually tough to secure in a public game cause some dbag would just roll up and die a few times lvling other side

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby sinfiery » Tue May 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Haha, yep. Viper, sf, sniper, potm, etc where all beasts. But if you fall behind, you become so useless. Dangerous game.


Yeah, I never played much public games tho. Private invite only inhouses/leagues for me, much better quality of players/effort/vent :lol: :lol: (seriously tho)

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 12:53 pm

any of you aspies played knights of the old republic on Xbox?

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue May 14, 2013 12:56 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
toothbrush wrote:If you feel offended I'm sorry but you outed enough of yourself to be open to that. Unfortunately, this isn't the thread for that and you didn't particularly ask - but welcome to the internet, and TLS.


shredderrrrrr wrote:You must be new around here.


It's your decision to lower the tenor of the forum, and the standard for its content, to this level. Not mine. I need no introduction to flaming: I played DOTA in high school (public high school in CA btw like Dre, not an Exeter kid here) and experienced a lifetime share of online trolls and shit-talking -- but that was from 14 year old prepubescent kids. We are all in our mid 20's - I think we should be old enough here to carry on a civil discourse.


Every few weeks a new poster comes in, gets fucked with, and then bitches about the low level of discourse on here. Your insight is nothing new.

But I don't get why you're calling us trolls. We're not saying this stuff to mess with you; we're saying it because it's what we think. And it's not all that uncivil. I know you are taking offense because we're ripping on you, but there isn't anything inherently childish about laughing at someone who says their family doesn't have much money after footing a $200k undergrad education.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:but there isn't anything inherently childish about laughing at someone who says their family doesn't have much money after footing a $200k undergrad education.



In other werds, shredderrrrr is pissed the fuck off because he didn't have the opportunity that jbagelboy had—to attend a private university. Instead he had to matriculate to his TTT state school, hang out with losers (like himself), and of course have a great time (READ: not doing work necessary that will eventually contribute to this world). I agree there is nothing childish with what you say, and is understandable why you would say shiet like that. I mean, clearly your life sucks compared to jbagelboy's. But I sympathize with your pain, because I too have felt envy, and I of course know what it feels like to dwell on alternatives you could have had—but didn't.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby toothbrush » Tue May 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:but there isn't anything inherently childish about laughing at someone who says their family doesn't have much money after footing a $200k undergrad education.



In other werds, shredderrrrr is pissed the fuck off because he didn't have the opportunity that jbagelboy had—to attend a private university. Instead he had to matriculate to his TTT state school, hang out with losers (like himself), and of course have a great time (READ: not doing work necessary that will eventually contribute to this world). I agree there is nothing childish with what you say, and is understandable why you would say shiet like that. I mean, clearly your life sucks compared to jbagelboy's. But I sympathize with your pain, because I too have felt envy, and I of course know what it feels like to dwell on alternatives you could have had—but didn't.

120

I really dislike you and wish you would stop posting.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 pm

toothbrush wrote:
I really dislike you



is toothbrush butthurt?

Image

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby toothbrush » Tue May 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
I really dislike you

is toothbrush butthurt?

Nope

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
toothbrush wrote:If you feel offended I'm sorry but you outed enough of yourself to be open to that. Unfortunately, this isn't the thread for that and you didn't particularly ask - but welcome to the internet, and TLS.


shredderrrrrr wrote:You must be new around here.


It's your decision to lower the tenor of the forum, and the standard for its content, to this level. Not mine. I need no introduction to flaming: I played DOTA in high school (public high school in CA btw like Dre, not an Exeter kid here) and experienced a lifetime share of online trolls and shit-talking -- but that was from 14 year old prepubescent kids. We are all in our mid 20's - I think we should be old enough here to carry on a civil discourse.


Every few weeks a new poster comes in, gets fucked with, and then bitches about the low level of discourse on here.

But I don't get why you're calling us trolls. We're not saying this stuff to mess with you; we're saying it because it's what we think. And it's not all that uncivil. I know you are taking offense because we're ripping on you, but there isn't anything inherently childish about laughing at someone who says their family doesn't have much money after footing a $200k undergrad education.


Ha. It's childish to even feel the compulsion to "laugh" on the internet about someone else's family. You have no idea what you are talking about; furthermore, I never stated anything specific about my parents finances, just that they would not be considered "particularly wealthy". Maybe that's relative, but given the purpose of this forum, when you can't keep your bullshit opinions about an off-topic personal issue to yourself, you are effectively trolling. Going out of one's way to give an insulting "opinion" and make a snide remark both intentionally makes one seem like an asshole and debases the level of discussion. If you gave your "opinion" about an actual law school related issue, even if it disagreed with mine and caused some contention, that would be legitimate. This is totally different. People made insulting statements about the quality of my education and my response included a partial description of my background. The bile people spill targeting me is neither civil nor instructive, and it just makes them seem insecure.

As I stated before, if you really cared to know about me or my family and understand you could PM me.

I've been on TLS since October and a lurker for longer than that, and I've never come across the antagonistic bitter bullshit a few people posted about me ITT the past couple days. Maybe until recently I stayed mostly in the Acceptance/Denial/WL thread where people actually discussed admissions related issues and choices? Either way, I'm glad sinf, banjo, kappycaft1, MOTM, and other legit posters have made gestures to defend what I'm talking about and my commitment to legitimate commentary.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby star fox » Tue May 14, 2013 1:28 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Now to make a off-topic on-topic poast:

I transferred from a large state flagship university to a "top" private university during undergrad, and was really glad I did for the following reasons (which aren't going to be true for all private schools):

1) Smaller class sizes. I didn't realize how much of a benefit this was until I actually started going to classes with 5 students instead of 150 students. This allowed me to have a much better experience for my last 2 years in undergrad, as well as build some good relationships with a lot of professors (I had like 7 professors I knew really well after only 2 years and they all could have written stellar law school recs for me.)

2) Less focus on sports, more focus on studying. I am sure that if you went to a private school like Duke this might not be the case, but it was true for the private university I transferred to. I like soccer, but that's about it, so it was kind of annoying to go to class at my state school and have teachers and students spend almost as much time talking about how the university's football / basketball did as they did conducting class.

3) Fewer grad-student-taught classes. The public university I went to had a lot of its courses taught by graduate students who were dumb as shit and couldn't teach well either. After transferring to a private university, the worst it got was "lecturers" instead of "professors" or "assistant professors."

4) The "quality" of students was much higher. It seemed like at the state flagship school, local high school grads would just drift there without much thought and therefore didn't care much about class. Of course there were smart people there too, but the ratio of smart try-hards to lazy don't-cares wasn't too great. With private universities, it seems like a much larger proportion of the class comes from elsewhere and thus has at least put a little more thought into their choice of school and reason for going; even if they haven't, at least they were smart enough to have a decent GPA/SAT.

Based on the above reasons, I am glad that I chose to transfer. However, one difference is that I spent $20,000 in total on my undergrad education thanks to various scholarships, so my ed-juh-muh-kay-shun was a lot cheaper than $200,000. Even if it had been that much, though, as long as my family was footing the bill, I still think it would have been worth it.


From my own experience

1) Never cared about small class sizes. I liked that I could browse the internet and not have to worry about contributing to some BS class discussions. I actually preferred large lecture halls because the class moved at a better pace as opposed to spending half the class getting everyone's input on the material (couldn't care less what any other students think about any of this stuff)

2) I love sports so this was a big plus of the state school. Drinking before football games were some of my fondest memories.

3) This is true but at least in my case my classes were always easy enough to where it didn't really matter.

4) I prefer hanging around dumb-dumbs because they're more fun. I personally can't stand gunner-types and this would have made my experience less enjoyable.

Different strokes I guess.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I've never come across the antagonistic bitter bullshit a few people posted about me ITT the past couple days.



it's clear shredderrrrr is just jealous of you (and is a shit poaster)


and toothbrush ( :lol: ...do i really need to say)

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue May 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:but there isn't anything inherently childish about laughing at someone who says their family doesn't have much money after footing a $200k undergrad education.



In other werds, shredderrrrr is pissed the fuck off because he didn't have the opportunity that jbagelboy had—to attend a private university. Instead he had to matriculate to his TTT state school, hang out with losers (like himself), and of course have a great time (READ: not doing work necessary that will eventually contribute to this world). I agree there is nothing childish with what you say, and is understandable why you would say shiet like that. I mean, clearly your life sucks compared to jbagelboy's. But I sympathize with your pain, because I too have felt envy, and I of course know what it feels like to dwell on alternatives you could have had—but didn't.


I don't mean this to be catty or anything, but you seem like my friends from junior high. You are just very strange. I can't figure out if this is some internet act or if you're being serious.

User avatar
Justin Genious
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Postby Justin Genious » Tue May 14, 2013 1:40 pm

this thread has given me some mad lulz. Shit poster's not a troll.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], freekick, kpterrifico, runinthefront, trmckenz and 5 guests