U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rahviveh

Gold

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Post by Rahviveh » Mon May 13, 2013 6:50 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
This is absolutely not worth 200k.
Okay, so the alternative that is $200k cheaper is what, free education? ca n'existe que en France, ma cheri! the cheapest school I could have gone to would be a UC and that would still run over $100K w/ recent tuition increases. So you're really talking about a $100K delta at most.
So now you're trying to convince me 100 thousand dollars is a small amount of money to save for the EXACT same education? Ill show myself out.
Okay, so I may be a plebe, but most people from my UG did not end up at consulting firms like Bagelboy did. That's a pretty high outcome, probably better than most law students can expect. So, under a cost-benefit analysis, it would seem to pass the test in and of itself. If anything is worth 200k, ever, I would say a good consulting job and a top university credential as a foundation for it is an acceptable return.

It may seem wasted on going to law school, though. However, the people with that kind of background who go to t14 law schools always seem to get better results than usual. The good M&A places prefer that kind of background over state-school-straight-to-law-school. I predict big things for jbagelboy, douche or not.
Agreed, consulting is a great gig, assuming we're talking about those elite places. It doesn't look like it helped him for admissions though.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote: ponytail.
ponytail? me? geez thats a low blow man. never.

Who hasn't seen good will hunting? and no I am not a douchebag. I am not an elitist. I am not even from a particularly wealthy family. I'm a liberal intellectual europhile through and through though. The raw quality of your polemics have positioned me where my only defense is to pull from attitudes that you can dismiss since people on the internet won't read as heavily into it. I bet if we met we'd partner in BP and get along great, although you probably play pull cup don't you.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote: It doesn't look like it helped him for admissions though.
Harsh.

What hurt me at the one school I was rejected from was my low GPA and LSAT retake. I didn't expect my WE to be a boost, just standard.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon May 13, 2013 6:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Who hasn't seen good will hunting? and no I am not a douchebag. I am not an elitist. I am not even from a particularly wealthy family. I'm a liberal intellectual europhile through and through though. The raw quality of your polemics have positioned me where my only defense is to pull from attitudes that you can dismiss since people on the internet won't read as heavily into it. I bet if we met we'd partner in BP and get along great, although you probably play pull cup don't you.
probably shot yourself in the foot with this one

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 13, 2013 6:54 pm

stillwater wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Huh? Who doesn't like having sex with europeans?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon May 13, 2013 6:55 pm

stillwater wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Lol, was thinking the same thing

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
stillwater wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Huh? Who doesn't like having sex with europeans?
i don't think thats what he meant bro

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Harsh.

What hurt me at the one school I was rejected from was my low GPA and LSAT retake. I didn't expect my WE to be a boost, just standard.
Its not harsh, you had a great cycle. I just don't see any results that are out of the ordinary with respect to your numbers.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:58 pm

stillwater wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Only if I'm playing for most beloved law school forum trite sop story hipster of the year. I lived in europe as a kid while my parents were researching there so I can't help myself.

just trying to loosen Mal Reynolds up a little. he/she's so hostile. almost bitter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 13, 2013 6:59 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Harsh.

Its not harsh, you had a great cycle. I just don't see any results that are out of the ordinary with respect to your numbers.
Well, he/she didn't get the RUBENSTEIN, I guess.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 7:00 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Harsh.

Well, he/she didn't get the RUBENSTEIN, I guess.
way to bring it back. I like that.

And Uchicago will continue to be a great school without the rubenstein. no worries.

/thread

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon May 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Atleast we can agree on most private UGs being far more of a ripoff financially than even TT lawschools when you look at the employment numbers if you pay for it yourself at anywhere near sticker.

Thus I would expect nothing less of a person to defend the intangibles of said school with anything but veracity.
This, of course, being what life is actually about. Employment and money are important, but not really.

Eta: typing on a phone is ruining my TLS experience.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 7:08 pm

sinfiery wrote: Eta: typing on a phone is ruining my TLS experience.
this happens all the time for me. no worries. kinda wish there was a little subscript "sent from a mobile device" so people understand why I have so many "of"s where there should be "if"s

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon May 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Sometimes I wish apple didn't kill the QWERTY physical keyboard for high-end cellphones. Historians will likely point to it as the event that killed the English language.

philepistemer

Bronze

Post by philepistemer » Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 pm

As a rich person who spent like 50k on undergrad: lol, you are an idiot if you think you gained anything (besides your future wife) from the "prestigious" undergrad you went to. People (especially those who turned down ivies) get top consulting and finance jobs all the time from from flagships, and upper-level humanities classes are just as "intimate" at big state schools as they are at lib arts places. If you are into the life of the mind (as I am), good state schools have unparalleled course offerings and libraries.

But hey, we're going to the same school next year, and we'd probably get along well, so let me say that you sound like a good guy who will probably be successful.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:58 pm

sinfiery wrote:Sometimes I wish apple didn't kill the QWERTY physical keyboard for high-end cellphones. Historians will likely point to it as the event that killed the English language.
my old phone was a buggy piece of crap and I love my S3, but I really miss having that slide-out tactile keyboard. It was just so much easier to type on

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Also I'll only be at UChicago for one more year, so they're losing a huge recruitment tool right there, handsomeness-wise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 13, 2013 8:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Also I'll only be at UChicago for one more year, so they're losing a huge recruitment tool right there, handsomeness-wise.
Perfect avatar and post affinity.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 pm

philepistemer wrote:As a rich person who spent like 50k on undergrad: lol, you are an idiot if you think you gained anything (besides your future wife) from the "prestigious" undergrad you went to. People (especially those who turned down ivies) get top consulting and finance jobs all the time from from flagships, and upper-level humanities classes are just as "intimate" at big state schools as they are at lib arts places. If you are into the life of the mind (as I am), good state schools have unparalleled course offerings and libraries.

But hey, we're going to the same school next year, and we'd probably get along well, so let me say that you sound like a good guy who will probably be successful.
Thanks! you too. I don't think the "consultant" thing is the main result (or gain), it's far more difficult to valuate in these terms, but I'll grant you I know as little about your experience as you could know about mine so we should refrain from making such judgments. FWIW I'm sure we're all a little sassier on the internet than we'd be in person. No one would tell me as a stranger to my face that my parents wasted money on my education, even if they thought it to themselves. And I'd probably fold and agree with you on such a trivial point just to be civil even if my pride had been ever so marginally injured :).

Here's to hoping such divisive, personal and subjective conversations keep at a minimum at Columbia! See you most likely in the fall :)

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 pm

philepistemer wrote:As a rich person who spent like 50k on undergrad: lol, you are an idiot if you think you gained anything (besides your future wife) from the "prestigious" undergrad you went to. People (especially those who turned down ivies) get top consulting and finance jobs all the time from from flagships, and upper-level humanities classes are just as "intimate" at big state schools as they are at lib arts places. If you are into the life of the mind (as I am), good state schools have unparalleled course offerings and libraries.

A lot of the reason to go to a private under grad would be to meet and network with other rich people, including potential future spouses.

It really shouldn't be discounted.

Nice use of the "upper level" distinction. My junior college classes were about as intimate as my upper level courses after transfer. Lower division looked like a meat market.

Edit: With the RUBENSTEIN disappearing, Chicago will be unaffected.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon May 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Oh right, dat RUBY. Zero chance UCHIs GPA #s don't freefall.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

sinfiery wrote:Oh right, dat RUBY. Zero chance UCHIs GPA #s don't freefall.
I'm not sure it is the Ruby affecting the GPA numbers. I'd think it is attributable to the dean who started a couple of years ago, who used to be dean at UCLA, which was always more GPA-heavy.
Until he came along, Chicago was not at all reverse-splitter friendly.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon May 13, 2013 8:21 pm

I chose to believe the 20m had some impact on medians and it just so happens GPA %s spiked. Some of that may have been because of admissions weighting, but definitely not all.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 pm

sinfiery wrote:I chose to believe the 20m had some impact on medians and it just so happens GPA %s spiked. Some of that may have been because of admissions weighting, but definitely not all.
Well, the Ruby can only be buying 10 admits a year, right? Looking at this site, they were people above both medians. I don't know how much difference ten admits makes, though.

I think Chicago caught on to the fact that it is cheaper to admit reverse splitters, with something like a 4.0 and a 166, than it is to buy a 3.5/173, and there is more credit to bridging that gap in GPA than for raising the LSAT in USNWR after a certain point. GPA an LSAT are probably weighted the same in USNWR, but it is way easier to fill your class with 4.0s than 180s.

edit: I think I'm channeling Moneyball, basically.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon May 13, 2013 8:32 pm

I thought it was 20. Maybe less than expected then. Or very marginally indeed.

And yeah, haha. Well, if wins were equal to a higher ranking in the USNWR

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”