U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thewaves

Bronze

U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Post by thewaves » Sun May 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Forgive me, I'm completely new here, so I don't know where this post should go. Anyways, I was wondering if any one had any information or thoughts on what will happen to U Chicago now that the Rubenstein is disappearing? An admitted student said she heard the school is asking Rubenstein for more money to continue the program, but of course that's just a rumor. Do you think the program accomplished its goals? Thanks!

Bronck

Gold

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Post by Bronck » Sun May 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Nothing will happen. They'll still be a great school.

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Sun May 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Sure, I just think they should keep up the full-scholarship programs to remain competitive with Columbia and NYU--unless they have other fullride merit offers aside from Rubenstein I haven't heard of.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun May 12, 2013 8:03 pm

They didn't have the Ruby before and they were still competitive with CN.

This thread is dumb.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Sun May 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Fear not, RIGOR will remain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun May 12, 2013 8:15 pm

they reject plenty of splitters to keep their medians up

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun May 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Cafaro will step it up.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun May 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Employers leaving UChi IN DROVES.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun May 12, 2013 10:35 pm

CNP in the making right here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm guessing The Law School will cease to exist within a few years. I mean, is Chicago even worth it without a full scholarship + 30k? I doubt any potential applicants will think so. Hope I get my degree before they have to close it down

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Employers leaving UChi IN DROVES.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:35 pm

So next years class, the last of the rubys, will be the last to be employed right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun May 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Isn't most anyone in "need" to attend Law School? I'd guess it's a pretty damn small percentage of law students who have somebody else footing the bill.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon May 13, 2013 12:55 am

john7234797 wrote:
Isn't most anyone in "need" to attend Law School? I'd guess it's a pretty damn small percentage of law students who have somebody else footing the bill.
Depends on the school. At mine, around 50% have parents paying for it.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:I'm guessing The Law School will cease to exist within a few years. I mean, is Chicago even worth it without a full scholarship + 30k? I doubt any potential applicants will think so. Hope I get my degree before they have to close it down
Shitlaw looms.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 1:31 pm

All the snarking aside, I think the Rubenstein did accomplish its goals. UChi not only powered ahead of NYU in USNWR after a decade of relative stalemate, they snatched up enough top quality students to tie up with CLS for the first time in.. forever? Even if they return to 5th in the coming years its still a success, not to mention on the human level the opportunities it provided for the selected students themselves. When the program drops off there may be a tiny margin of 15-20 students who they will lose to HYS/Hamilton that otherwise would have come with a ruby, but this won't have a major impact on the university reputation or placement.

fyi the cafaro is not a substantive replacement for the ruby since it draws most heavily on need (i.e. you gotta be a broke ass bitch for this one). it will not attract high-scoring students from middle income backgrounds the way the ruby could.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:19 pm

john7234797 wrote:
In my experience this is false. Law students at good schools come disproportionately from well off families. Whether that means they are 100% footing the bill, contributing living expenses, or serving as an "Oh shit i ran out of money" phone call, a ton of people here seem to receive some form of family support.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon May 13, 2013 3:31 pm

2014 wrote:
john7234797 wrote:
In my experience this is false. Law students at good schools come disproportionately from well off families. Whether that means they are 100% footing the bill, contributing living expenses, or serving as an "Oh shit i ran out of money" phone call, a ton of people here seem to receive some form of family support.
Maybe supporting a small portion of the bill, but not many families are well off enough to foot $250K for their kids (especially if they'd already paid for UG, which would seem likely)... or maybe I'm wrong, and should start looking for a future wife in law school

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon May 13, 2013 3:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:All the snarking aside, I think the Rubenstein did accomplish its goals. UChi not only powered ahead of NYU in USNWR after a decade of relative stalemate, they snatched up enough top quality students to tie up with CLS for the first time in.. forever? Even if they return to 5th in the coming years its still a success, not to mention on the human level the opportunities it provided for the selected students themselves. When the program drops off there may be a tiny margin of 15-20 students who they will lose to HYS/Hamilton that otherwise would have come with a ruby, but this won't have a major impact on the university reputation or placement.
i.e., nothing will happen

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 4:25 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
2014 wrote:
john7234797 wrote:
Maybe supporting a small portion of the bill, but not many families are well off enough to foot $250K for their kids (especially if they'd already paid for UG, which would seem likely)... or maybe I'm wrong, and should start looking for a future wife in law school
This is credited at least in my case. Parents relatively well off, paid $200,000 for my UG, arent contributing 1 cent towards CLS. While there will definitely be rich kids w/ family money at these schools (this one obnoxiously wealthy parental supported girl on the housing tour had this $2700 1BDR to herself across from the cathedral with C&B furnishing and all designer attire) I imagine most law students, even some from upper middle class backgrounds with a social conscience, will be loaning/paying their own way

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:12 pm

jbagelboy wrote: This is credited at least in my case. Parents relatively well off, paid $200,000 for my UG, arent contributing 1 cent towards CLS. While there will definitely be rich kids w/ family money at these schools (this one obnoxiously wealthy parental supported girl on the housing tour had this $2700 1BDR to herself across from the cathedral with C&B furnishing and all designer attire) I imagine most law students, even some from upper middle class backgrounds with a social conscience, will be loaning/paying their own way
Was she single?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 pm

untar614 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: This is credited at least in my case. Parents relatively well off, paid $200,000 for my UG, arent contributing 1 cent towards CLS. While there will definitely be rich kids w/ family money at these schools (this one obnoxiously wealthy parental supported girl on the housing tour had this $2700 1BDR to herself across from the cathedral with C&B furnishing and all designer attire) I imagine most law students, even some from upper middle class backgrounds with a social conscience, will be loaning/paying their own way
Was she single?
edit: so I assumed yes

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
untar614 wrote:
Was she single?
Damn, sounds like my dream girl

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 5:33 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
untar614 wrote:
Was she single?
Damn, sounds like my dream girl
what happened to Carbon?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”