U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Blessedassurance

Gold

Re: U Chicago Rubenstein Disappearing?

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote: This is credited at least in my case. Parents relatively well off, paid $200,000 for my UG...
you spent 200 grand on undergrad just to get to law school? tell me you learned something absolutely mind-blowing.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:54 pm

2014 wrote:So next years class, the last of the rubys, will be the last to be employed right?
So do it run out for the 2016 or 2017 graduating class?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: This is credited at least in my case. Parents relatively well off, paid $200,000 for my UG...
you spent 200 grand on undergrad just to get to law school? tell me you learned something absolutely mind-blowing.
not sure what you mean by this. any private school costs $200K these days, unless you fall into a particular income bracket and financial aid kicks in. I think my education, the experiences I had there, and the results its produced for me merited the money. I've always wanted to go to law school, but you have to get a BA first so why not get one of the best ones?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
not sure what you mean by this. any private school costs $200K these days, unless you fall into a particular income bracket and financial aid kicks in. I think my education, the experiences I had there, and the results its produced for me merited the money. I've always wanted to go to law school, but you have to get a BA first so why not get one of the best ones?
I was gonna be on your side because blessedassurance is a crazy troll, but this is pretty retarded also.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
I was gonna be on your side because blessedassurance is a crazy troll, but this is pretty retarded also.
seriously? if you'd been admitted to my UG and your parents had said they would pay for it in full, I'm pretty sure you would attend too. I wouldn't have done it if I'd have to take out loans. I've worked at a firm since I graduated from UG that I might not have had a connection to out of a lesser university, and the summer internships abroad and contacts I've had are difficult to put an exact value on. I don't see how its "retarded" to go to a good school, get a great education, be placed at an elite firm, and have better graduate school chances, owe no money, and have a shitload of fun along the way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon May 13, 2013 6:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote: seriously? if you'd been admitted to my UG and your parents had said they would pay for it in full, I'm pretty sure you would attend too. I wouldn't have done it if I'd have to take out loans. I've worked at a firm since I graduated from UG that I might not have had a connection to out of a lesser university, and the summer internships abroad and contacts I've had are difficult to put an exact value on. I don't see how its "retarded" to go to a good school, get a great education, be placed at an elite firm, and have better graduate school chances, owe no money, and have a shitload of fun along the way.
TBF, nobody cares if you've been in an "elite firm" as a 0L

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon May 13, 2013 6:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
seriously? if you'd been admitted to my UG and your parents had said they would pay for it in full, I'm pretty sure you would attend too. I wouldn't have done it if I'd have to take out loans. I've worked at a firm since I graduated from UG that I might not have had a connection to out of a lesser university, and the summer internships abroad and contacts I've had are difficult to put an exact value on. I don't see how its "retarded" to go to a good school, get a great education, be placed at an elite firm, and have better graduate school chances, owe no money, and have a shitload of fun along the way.
not retarded from your standpoint. i guess if your parents are paying then it doesnt matter. just seems like a huge waste to pay that much for your kids undergrad and he winds up going to law school.

a better idea would have gone to a cheap state school get a 4.0 and have your parents give you the 200k for grad school.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Bronck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: seriously? if you'd been admitted to my UG and your parents had said they would pay for it in full, I'm pretty sure you would attend too. I wouldn't have done it if I'd have to take out loans. I've worked at a firm since I graduated from UG that I might not have had a connection to out of a lesser university, and the summer internships abroad and contacts I've had are difficult to put an exact value on. I don't see how its "retarded" to go to a good school, get a great education, be placed at an elite firm, and have better graduate school chances, owe no money, and have a shitload of fun along the way.
not law firm: consulting. and this is false, as OCI & EIP recruiters are increasingly privileging solid WE, not to mention it helped my applications. also $$ saved for LS

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 13, 2013 6:17 pm

I wouldn't have turned down free tuition at a good school either. But don't try to convince me that your pony and stable were "worth it" in the true economic sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon May 13, 2013 6:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Bronck wrote:
not law firm: consulting. and this is false, as OCI & EIP recruiters are increasingly privileging solid WE, not to mention it helped my applications. also $$ saved for LS
I never categorically said OCI interviewers don't care about WE.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon May 13, 2013 6:23 pm

there's the economics argument and then there's the ideal world argument. the former depends on wealth, etc. the latter doesn't change. if your UG was shit, its still a shit sandwich at the end of the day. i think there are certain UGs that do give some opportunities that others simply don't. especially when going into law is usually not a great idea and you could change your mind before you actually get thru the 4 years of UG.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:24 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
not retarded from your standpoint. i guess if your parents are paying then it doesnt matter. just seems like a huge waste to pay that much for your kids undergrad and he winds up going to law school.

a better idea would have gone to a cheap state school get a 4.0 and have your parents give you the 200k for grad school.
parents wouldn't have given me the money to go to law school. they supported me through college because that's what they said they would do. if I'd gone to UC Berkeley or something I wouldn't have gotten any more $ out of them for LS.

and having more than one degree ITE is very common. the majority of students graduating even from top schools are pursuing MDs, JDs, MBAs, Ph.Ds, ect. are they all wasting their time? Not if they want to work in those fields.

Also the education you receive from going to a good school, having small class sizes, intimate environment, ect. will benefit you in law school vis a vis receiving a more diluted education from a large public. so many students lack core critical thinking and writing skills or cultural knowledge. Lastly, you discredit "experiences", but even if you insist on only speaking of $$$, the people themselves who I met at my UG are invaluable, whether they be future clients in tech or my friend in my class who's dads a fed circuit court judge and would take me as a clerk if I really struck out on my own at CLS. I'm not sure the same connections exist universally

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 13, 2013 6:26 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

parents wouldn't have given me the money to go to law school. they supported me through college because that's what they said they would do. if I'd gone to UC Berkeley or something I wouldn't have gotten any more $ out of them for LS.

and having more than one degree ITE is very common. the majority of students graduating even from top schools are pursuing MDs, JDs, MBAs, Ph.Ds, ect. are they all wasting their time? Not if they want to work in those fields.

Also the education you receive from going to a good school, having small class sizes, intimate environment, ect. will benefit you in law school vis a vis receiving a more diluted education from a large public. so many students lack core critical thinking and writing skills or cultural knowledge. Lastly, you discredit "experiences", but even if you insist on only speaking of $$$, the people themselves who I met at my UG are invaluable, whether they be future clients in tech or my friend in my class who's dads a fed circuit court judge and would take me as a clerk if I really struck out on my own at CLS. I'm not sure the same connections exist universally
This is absolutely not worth 200k.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I wouldn't have turned down free tuition at a good school either. But don't try to convince me that your pony and stable were "worth it" in the true economic sense.
you're right. its not "worth it" in the end from a true economic sense.

thankfully human beings are rational, emotional, and intellectual creatures.

On that note, and I'm sure this will be shittily received anyway, but I met my future wife at my UG, and I wouldn't trade meeting and being with her for $200,000 if you could give it back to me tomorrow.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Okay, so the alternative that is $200k cheaper is what, free education? ca n'existe que en France, ma cheri! the cheapest school I could have gone to would be a UC and that would still run over $100K w/ recent tuition increases. So you're really talking about a $100K delta at most.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Okay, so the alternative that is $200k cheaper is what, free education? ca n'existe que en France, ma cheri! the cheapest school I could have gone to would be a UC and that would still run over $100K w/ recent tuition increases. So you're really talking about a $100K delta at most.
So now you're trying to convince me 100 thousand dollars is a small amount of money to save for the EXACT same education? Ill show myself out.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
So now you're trying to convince me 100 thousand dollars is a small amount of money to save for the EXACT same education? Ill show myself out.
how is it the exact same education? my entire point is that the educational experience is different.

edit: just in case anyone reads this outside of context, I'm referring to UG only, NOT law school. law is a trade, and its about keeping employment high and debt low -- totally different ballgame.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Mon May 13, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
You too cool for a Cal State?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:I wouldn't have turned down free tuition at a good school either. But don't try to convince me that your pony and stable were "worth it" in the true economic sense.
you're right. its not "worth it" in the end from a true economic sense.

thankfully human beings are rational, emotional, and intellectual creatures.

On that note, and I'm sure this will be shittily received anyway, but I met my future wife at my UG, and I wouldn't trade meeting and being with her for $200,000 if you could give it back to me tomorrow.
post pics and we will put a price on her head

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Undergraduate education is a huge flame and you could have gotten a consulting job from any one of a hundred cheaper schools. Study abroad internships? Are you kidding me? Your educational experiences were nice I'm sure. Worth it or unique? Absolutely not.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
You too cool for a Cal State?
its not an issue of "cool".. no, I never would have applied to Cal state schools, but look I'm not trying to be a snob. There was an expectation that someone with my background, SAT scores, ect. would attend a certain kind of institution. It sounds silly from a distance but you have to put yourself in the position of that student. Cal states are largely commuter colleges and its a completely, completely different experience. those are good options for some people, but not at all what I was looking for.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Undergraduate education is a huge flame and you could have gotten a consulting job from any one of a hundred cheaper schools. Study abroad internships? Are you kidding me? Your educational experiences were nice I'm sure. Worth it or unique? Absolutely not.
we aren't going to agree here, are we? I'm also assuming you aren't very interested in the "life of the mind" or other intangibles. Advising 0L's has made you cold, oh so cold malcolm! why so cold!

is it worth it to buy an audi over a toyota camry, "economically"? no of course not, the audi loses half its value when you drive it off the lot. your repairs are three times the price. you gotta fill up with 91 octane. thats a bitch let me tell you.

does it drive better? hell yes.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Have you seen the bar scene from Good Will Hunting? I'm not claiming to be Matt Damon but you are one hundred percent that douche with a ponytail.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Okay, so I may be a plebe, but most people from my UG did not end up at consulting firms like Bagelboy did. That's a pretty high outcome, probably better than most law students can expect. So, under a cost-benefit analysis, it would seem to pass the test in and of itself. If anything is worth 200k, ever, I would say a good consulting job and a top university credential as a foundation for it is an acceptable return.

It may seem wasted on going to law school, though. However, the people with that kind of background who go to t14 law schools always seem to get better results than usual. The good M&A places prefer that kind of background over state-school-straight-to-law-school. I predict big things for jbagelboy, douche or not.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Have you seen the bar scene from Good Will Hunting? I'm not claiming to be Matt Damon but you are one hundred percent that douche with a ponytail.
I'd still rather be the douche with a ponytail than the guy in the movie who is not Matt Damon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”