rinkrat19 wrote:Scalia's a douche, but this quote of his is pretty typical for legal hiring:Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Micdiddy wrote:Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Oh god, the thought of working anywhere that only hires for "prestige."
That's a blatant misinterpretation of what was said.
How so? A firm won't hire from in-state law schools because they don't have nearly enough "prestige as the applicants we're looking for?"
Given that the law firm knows they can find applicants from UF or FSU that are every bit as smart and hardworking as applicants from Harvard, and that this hiring partner specifically said that the in-state graduates lack "prestige," how would you like me to phrase my remark?
Oh god, I would never want to work at a place that would not hire a person because they were not "prestigious?"By and large, I’m going to be picking from the law schools that basically are the hardest to get into. They admit the best and the brightest, and they may not teach very well, but you can’t make a sow’s ear out of a silk purse. If they come in the best and the brightest, they’re probably going to leave the best and the brightest, O.K.?
The quality of professors at FSU might be just fine compared to a T14 but the caliber of student attending is, by and large, not the same. These are people who got bad grades and bad LSAT scores. Sure, a few are probably undiscovered legal geniuses who could out-reason Learned Hand, but a lot of them are just mediocre students with mediocre minds who are going to be mediocre at whatever they do for the rest of their lives, no matter how many of their professors went to Yale.
See, I wasn't talking to you. The problem here is that I wasn't talking to you then you went in and said something and completely missed the point. I was talking about not wanting to work around douchbags who only care about prestige. Then ironically you missed the point and simultaneously outed yourself as one of those douchebags.
But since we're talking, go fuck yourself with this mediocre minds bullshit. You don't know shit. The difference in students that go to my school and students that go to your school is the difference of a 164 vs. a 169 on the LSAT. That's like 6 or 7 questions. You pretty much need to calm down. You are not as special as you think you are.
Finally, and here is where mind = blown, the reason that most of my buddies got a 164 and the people that hate you in class got a 169 is not because my buddies have "mediocre minds." It is because people are like, different, from one another, with a wide range of goals and aspirations. So while it is probably true that on the aggregate there are slightly smarter and harder working people at your school, the reason for the 6 or 7 question difference in the LSAT is much more likely that people like me who attend schools like mine never needed your LSAT score-- we do not want biglaw, do not like dropping names at parties, do not constantly adjust our own self-worth based on what others may think of us, etc. Thinking that everyone else on earth shares your ideas about success is childish and stupid. Maybe stop doing that.
By the way, that isn't to say there is something inherently wrong with wanting to work at a large firm, or selling yourself at a party, or having goals that require others to see you a certain way, etc-- I want to make it clear that I'm attacking you, as a tool, and not others who happen to do what you do for completely different reasons.
I'm mediocre at my T14, and I've been one of the "smart" ones my whole life. I've never felt so average and dumb as I do here. It's fucking humbling. These people got good grades and/or great LSAT scores, some did amazing things before law school, and everyone here is just really fucking smart. I imagine it's even more pronounced at the tippy-top schools.
This is exactly what everybody says at nearly every law school. Even law schools like FSU are 1000x more challenging than the typical undergrad experience.
rinkrat19 wrote:And even if I'm 100% wrong, it doesn't matter. It's how legal hiring works. There are too many graduates; they have to sift through them somehow.
No. Not how "legal hiring works." How legal hiring works, to a significant degree, for large firms and fed clerkships. Considering these two fields account for less than 10% of attorney jobs, you are wrong. Again. For the record, the other 90% of jobs are had by networking, including the phenomenon where Yale grads help Yale grads and FSU grads help FSU grads.