Rankings from "ATL" Journal w/ fantastic video

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dudley12

Rankings from "ATL" Journal w/ fantastic video

Postby dudley12 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:46 pm

ATL the journal apparently released its own school rankings system recently...

Here's a video from Bloomberg explaining their rankings methodology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCudMhAMPNk

And the link to their rankings: http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings/
Last edited by dudley12 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Re: Rankings from "Above the Law" Journal

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 pm

search function

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat May 11, 2013 11:02 pm

--ImageRemoved--

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Also like that it was referred to as Above The Law the journal

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat May 11, 2013 11:07 pm

We should add these to the TLS ranking page.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat May 11, 2013 11:19 pm

dixon02 wrote:Also like that it was referred to as Above The Law the journal

Prestigious, peer reviewed publication right there

dudley12

Re: Rankings from "ATL" Journal w/ fantastic video

Postby dudley12 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:36 pm

The Law Journal also has also linked to a promotional video to bolster funding for the rankings system.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat May 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Actually, the Bloomberg video is news to me. I didn't see it discussed on the other thread.

Lol @ Elie trying to claim that Columbia and NYU dropped in the rankings because the NYC market was the "hardest hit" in the recession and not because cost was included in the methodology.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:28 am

ATL isn't a journal, it's a fucking gossip blog. C'mon, man.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:44 am

Lavitz wrote:Actually, the Bloomberg video is news to me. I didn't see it discussed on the other thread.

Lol @ Elie trying to claim that Columbia and NYU dropped in the rankings because the NYC market was the "hardest hit" in the recession and not because cost was included in the methodology.

srsly. I wish I could get my hand on their raw data so I could see how the rankings play out if the educational cost (which is the most blatantly idiotic part of their ranking methodology) were removed.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun May 12, 2013 12:49 am

untar614 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Actually, the Bloomberg video is news to me. I didn't see it discussed on the other thread.

srsly. I wish I could get my hand on their raw data so I could see how the rankings play out if the educational cost (which is the most blatantly idiotic part of their ranking methodology) were removed.

How is that idiotic? In the very slim chance ATL ranking actually go mainstream it will give schools the incentive to reduce costs. The only part I had somewhat of a problem with was SCOTUS clerkships but Eli's explanation about it being the stand in for "prestige" or whatever actually made me less suspicious of it.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:40 am

Br3v wrote:
untar614 wrote:

How is that idiotic? In the very slim chance ATL ranking actually go mainstream it will give schools the incentive to reduce costs. The only part I had somewhat of a problem with was SCOTUS clerkships but Eli's explanation about it being the stand in for "prestige" or whatever actually made me less suspicious of it.

Because having sticker cost influence the ranking makes them far less useful for prospective law students to weighing their options. The idea they claim to have is that they are outcomes-based. If this were true, it would be great for a prospective student to be able to weigh "outcome success" vs what they would pay. For an individual student though, they will already know what they would be paying before making a decision - and there is great variability among prospective students, so skewing the supposed outcomes with sticker costs makes them far less useful. And there is still little incentive for schools to lower cost so long as they maintain an effective price fixing thing. Any one of them attempting to game these ranks (if they should ever care) would just prompt a race to the bottom with respect to their income, so why would they want that?

dudley12

Postby dudley12 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:14 am

^exactly. my cousin's roommate was also wondering.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Sun May 12, 2013 4:13 am

untar614 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
untar614 wrote:

Because having sticker cost influence the ranking makes them far less useful for prospective law students to weighing their options. The idea they claim to have is that they are outcomes-based. If this were true, it would be great for a prospective student to be able to weigh "outcome success" vs what they would pay. For an individual student though, they will already know what they would be paying before making a decision - and there is great variability among prospective students, so skewing the supposed outcomes with sticker costs makes them far less useful. And there is still little incentive for schools to lower cost so long as they maintain an effective price fixing thing. Any one of them attempting to game these ranks (if they should ever care) would just prompt a race to the bottom with respect to their income, so why would they want that?

You seem dumb.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:46 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
untar614 wrote:
Br3v wrote:

You seem dumb.

Wow, such brilliant insight! There is clearly no way I could come back against such a compelling argument. Please share more of your sagely wisdom with us.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 12, 2013 8:24 am

untar614 wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
untar614 wrote:
Br3v wrote:

You seem dumb.

Wow, such brilliant insight! There is clearly no way I could come back against such a compelling argument. Please share more of your sagely wisdom with us.

no u

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun May 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Danger Zone wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Hahaha. Didn't ATL release its rankings chart two or three weeks ago?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Yep, and we had like a ten page thread on it then.

dudley12

Postby dudley12 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm not sure if this is related but I found another promotional video for ATL The Journal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7M01IELv4c

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Dood, why do you keep calling it atl the journal? The fuck, man.

dudley12

Postby dudley12 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:38 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Hahaha. Didn't ATL release its rankings chart two or three weeks ago?

I think a couple months ago yea so it's still pretty fresh news

Return to “Choosing a Law School”