attend MVP or retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gaucholaw

attend MVP or retake

Postby gaucholaw » Sat May 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Pros:
I feel that I actually outperformed my numbers 167,4.05 which yielded MVP + 60K
COA: 25K (large parental contribution)

Should I retake in June?

Negatives:

sexy gpa but no love on lsat

loomstate

Re: attend MVP or retake

Postby loomstate » Sat May 11, 2013 4:07 pm

if you think you can score higher yes

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat May 11, 2013 4:07 pm

If your parents are willing to fund a lot of it, then MVP at 25k is a steal.

But, what were you PTing at ? If it was in the 170s, then you should probably retake so you can try to get YHS or at the very least CCN

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat May 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Bronck wrote:If your parents are willing to fund a lot of it, then MVP at 25k is a steal.

But, what were you PTing at ? If it was in the 170s, then you should probably retake so you can try to get YHS or at the very least CCN

It is absolutely a steal, but if you parents are willing to still fund it all if you wait a year CCN at 25k is a bigger steal!
If you think you can do better, do better.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat May 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Deposit at MVP, retake in June. If you get 170+, then pull out and reapply next year.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Deposit at MVP, retake in June. If you get 170+, then pull out and reapply next year.

It's a bit late. depending where s/he lives, it may be hard to find an open seat

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Deposit at MVP, retake in June. If you get 170+, then pull out and reapply next year.

If possible, TITCR.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:

If possible, TITCR.

This (caveat: assuming you have been studying up to this point, and took a decent break (at least a month) after the last time you took the test - taking a significant break between studying is KEY; if not, don't bother with the June LSAT, retake in October and reapply).

And also, do not waste that GPA on anything less than HYS or a full ride to a T14. The LSAT is a learnable test and if one can score in the high 160's (even if that was your second try), I have full faith and confidence that one can break into the low 170s.

ETA: Don't let the fact that the bank of Mom and Dad will cover you deter you from the above. It's still not a sound financial or career decision. Also, I wouldn't say at all that you outperformed your numbers. That's actually exactly what I would have expected this cycle, +/- $5k.

This is coming from someone who is headed to UPenn with $60k-$75k (but doesn't have your GPA, unfortunately...).

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 pm

I think this all depends on how filthy rich your parents are and wether you would get that 100k+ someday if they didn't spend it on your law school. Also McDiddy makes a good point.

If this were me I would absolutely retake and would not settle for MVP unless I had maxed out my retakes and this was the best I could do.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Step 1: Follow my previous advice. Unless you maxed out your retakes, but I'm inferring from the OP that you haven't.

Step 2: Per BigZuck's post, if you can get that money regardless, do so, and place it in a relatively safe investment fund. Then, use it as a down payment on a house or really nice apartment someday.

Step 3: Profit.

gaucholaw

Postby gaucholaw » Sat May 11, 2013 11:53 pm

If this were me I would absolutely retake and would not settle for MVP unless I had maxed out my retakes and this was the best I could do.[/quote]

Point taken, nonetheless, I'm going to pretend that that comment didn't sound as elitist as it did

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 12, 2013 12:26 am

gaucholaw wrote:If this were me I would absolutely retake and would not settle for MVP unless I had maxed out my retakes and this was the best I could do.

Point taken, nonetheless, I'm going to pretend that that comment didn't sound as elitist as it did[/quote]

I'm not even going to go to a T14, elitism has nothing to do with it. I just think that going to an MVP school when you have a HYS gpa and the potential to score even higher on the LSAT is settling. Great schools no doubt but there are even greater schools possibly within reach.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 12, 2013 12:45 am

Honestly... PT a bit and see where you're at, but for once I'm not screaming retake right away, depending on where you are, and which of MVP. Unless you're going for academia or prestigious clerkships P at a discount isn't a bad deal... M and V I'd strongly consider retaking. Regardless, congrats on where you stand now.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:50 am

gaucholaw wrote:If this were me I would absolutely retake and would not settle for MVP unless I had maxed out my retakes and this was the best I could do.

Point taken, nonetheless, I'm going to pretend that that comment didn't sound as elitist as it did[/quote]

Are you fucking kidding me? Wow, trying to help somebody and getting called elitist. You clearly don't even know how to use that word. Whatever dude. Go wherever (I hope I dont meet you at Penn) and enjoy your rich ass parents paying for shit.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 12, 2013 1:23 am

lawschoolwoohoo

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 am

Just curious, what does MVP stand for? Sorry to be out of the loop on this.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun May 12, 2013 2:11 am

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:Just curious, what does MVP stand for? Sorry to be out of the loop on this.

Michigan UVA & Penn

gaucholaw

Postby gaucholaw » Sun May 12, 2013 5:46 am

I honestly do appreciate the help! Of course, I'm considering re-taking and then possibly to a better school. I guess, what irked me (and I shouldn't have taken out here... I just see it so often on these threads) is the word settling - if I choose not to retake it will be a thought out decision, not settling. But I apologize for offending the poster whom I called out, I should not have vented like that, wrong place. I'm sincerely sorry.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:07 am

gaucholaw wrote:I honestly do appreciate the help! Of course, I'm considering re-taking and then possibly to a better school. I guess, what irked me (and I shouldn't have taken out here... I just see it so often on these threads) is the word settling - if I choose not to retake it will be a thought out decision, not settling. But I apologize for offending the poster whom I called out, I should not have vented like that, wrong place. I'm sincerely sorry.

You're gonna fit in really well in law school.

Also, if you didn't study extremely hard, score at the top of your PT range, and in your particular case, hire a top-notch private LSAT tutor, you're an idiot to settle for a 167 and not retake, especially with that GPA.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 12, 2013 11:23 am

gaucholaw wrote:I honestly do appreciate the help! Of course, I'm considering re-taking and then possibly to a better school. I guess, what irked me (and I shouldn't have taken out here... I just see it so often on these threads) is the word settling - if I choose not to retake it will be a thought out decision, not settling. But I apologize for offending the poster whom I called out, I should not have vented like that, wrong place. I'm sincerely sorry.

I was not offended. James Dean was offended for me however, so make sure you appologize to him.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:14 pm

It's cool...having worked in litigation in NYC for several years, the Dean can be a bit adversarial and intense :lol:

Also, I hate people being douchebags on TLS and I'm known to call them out for it. That probably wasn't your intention though.

Telling you to retake and not settle isn't being elitist that's all. MVP are all great schools, no doubt about that (no one here was saying anything to the contrary), but with your GPA you should not be settling for only $60k. Honestly best of luck to you, and if you do choose MVP with $60k, it's not the worst thing in the world. I just hate to see wasted potential! :o

gaucholaw

Postby gaucholaw » Mon May 13, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks man, I appreciate the advice, and yea i didn't mean to be dbag, it came out the wrong way, and for that I apologize.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”