BU ($$) vs. Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
North

Re: BU ($$) vs. Georgetown

Postby North » Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm

But seriously, don't go to either of these law schools with your numbers and at these prices.

I've never seen a cycle ham-stringed like this. OP, what did you disclose? Exactly how late did you apply? Or are you not being forthright with us about something?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 pm

boblawlob wrote:
North wrote:Did you murder somebody or something?

What about a DUI? Can you get into a T14 with a DUI on your record?

Maybe not a recent one (<1 year), but if you had a halfway decent attorney you should have been able to get it reduced at the time to a wet reckless or expunged later after completion of Traffic school and AA.

Disclosing a 5 year old expunged dui wouldnt tank your cycle. Any violent felony would though

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm

North wrote:But seriously, don't go to either of these law schools with your numbers and at these prices.

I've never seen a cycle ham-stringed like this. OP, what did you disclose? Exactly how late did you apply? Or are you not being forthright with us about something?

If OP had a violent felony on record per my post above like an attempted rape or hate crime assault/battery then its probably a good call that they not disclose it on an online forum.

Suffice to say it was bad enough to produce this result and now he/she must choose

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 15, 2013 6:16 pm

I don't think we can decide anything really until Op comes back and tells us what other schools he applied to and the results there. Maybe reapplying is best, but again, if every single t13 insta-rejected him than whatever that misconduct was is not going away, and will likely yield the same exact results.
Op, we need more info to truly evaluate your situation.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 15, 2013 6:20 pm

OP if you have conduct issues, have you contacted the state bar where you want to work? Will you pass character and fitness? It would be foolhardy to spend 3+ years at law school, take the bar exam, only to find out that you cant be admitted.

North

Postby North » Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Suffice to say it was bad enough to produce this result

Not necessarily, dude. All he's told us is that he disclosed something. If he disclosed, say, a misdemeanor from when he was 18, then that's unlikely to have caused the train wreck of a cycle he's had. And if that's the case, then the advice would be to sit out, reapply on day one, and go to CCN with $$$. If, "per your post" ( :roll: ), he does have some kind of cycle-killing criminal/academic record, then the advice would be to sit out, reapply on day one, and, if it doesn't go better, find a different career to use his 3.9 to break into.

jbagelboy wrote:and now he/she must choose

No, he mustn't. It'd be really stupid to go to either of these schools with his numbers. BU at 100k+ vs GULC at sticker with a 3.9/173? Get out of here.

tractal

Postby tractal » Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 pm

North wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Suffice to say it was bad enough to produce this result

Not necessarily, dude. All he's told us is that he disclosed something. If he disclosed, say, a misdemeanor from when he was 18, then that's unlikely to have caused the train wreck of a cycle he's had. And if that's the case, then the advice would be to sit out, reapply on day one, and go to CCN with $$$. If, "per your post" ( :roll: ), he does have some kind of cycle-killing criminal/academic record, then the advice would be to sit out, reapply on day one, and, if it doesn't go better, find a different career to use his 3.9 to break into.

jbagelboy wrote:and now he/she must choose

No, he mustn't. It'd be really stupid to go to either of these schools with his numbers. BU at 100k+ vs GULC at sticker with a 3.9/173? Get out of here.

Its pretty clear this was a major issue. Either that or terrible recommendations/statement. Since he's already admitted to a C&F issue, overwhelmingly likely there's something serious there. I think OP is the rare case where it makes sense to hire an admissions consultant. I would imagine a professional could help you frame what happened in the best way possible. Without knowing more I agree its hard to give advice (but you shouldn't say anything more either.) Get a pros take on this because depending on circumstances going next fall could either be a tragic undersell or the best option you're likely to get. Also there might be schools generally more willing to overlook fitness issues for the right numbers. Who knows, there might be some T1 full rides out there worth looking into.

At the end of the day, though, unless you inadvertently starred on Dateline or something I think you should reapply. If this is for academic misconduct etc then I would hire a guy to help you find the best addendum and PS strategy.

accentuator

Postby accentuator » Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 pm

deleted
Last edited by accentuator on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 pm

accentuator wrote:Thanks, guys! The conduct disclosure was not the only issue but it was not a felony and not violent. In any case, I may have made things worse with my addendum because I didn't want to make it sound as if I were dismissing it. Obviously I don't want to get into details for reasons of privacy.

I got some WLs and some rejections from top schools. So that's kind of that.

Definitely reevaluate your app and reapply early then.

To the previous poster who picked apart my statements, I didnt express myself clearly enough; I meant, IF it was a violent felony (which now we know it is not), THEN theres not much to be done. Not that OP should definitely choose between bu and GULC. Sorry

North

Postby North » Wed May 15, 2013 11:29 pm

accentuator wrote:Thanks, guys! The conduct disclosure was not the only issue but it was not a felony and not violent. In any case, I may have made things worse with my addendum because I didn't want to make it sound as if I were dismissing it. Obviously I don't want to get into details for reasons of privacy.

I got some WLs and some rejections from top schools. So that's kind of that.

Just reapply on day one of next cycle and get some work experience in the meantime (WE will help you at OCI). You would REALLY be selling yourself short if you went to either of these schools, especially considering your goals and numbers.

Might not be a terrible idea to shell out $100 or so to have Mike Spivey look your app over before you send it in if you're really too wary to let us give you free advice.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Wed May 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:You have a 173 and a 3.9.

Reapply next cycle on September 1st. Have other people read over your application to make sure you don't say anything ridiculous.

Do you have a criminal history or something? I cannot fathom these being the best options for a 173/3.9

WT... dude have to reapply.. did you murdered someone? you should get into at least one HYS...

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sun May 19, 2013 2:56 am

Are these guys nuts?! Georgetown for sure! 8)

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun May 19, 2013 3:29 am

OP your numbers are excellent 8)

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun May 19, 2013 4:31 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
North wrote:Did you murder somebody or something?

What about a DUI? Can you get into a T14 with a DUI on your record?

What about if you stole pen, pencils and erasers from a grocery store in 7th grade and got a misdemeanor for it. Is that a significant C&F issue that will negatively impact one's application? I know someone that did this dumb thing. :roll:

what about if you got in a fight in high school with your football teammate because he was being a little douche and you were subsequently suspended for two weeks?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”