BU ($$) vs. Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
accentuator

BU ($$) vs. Georgetown

Postby accentuator » Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 pm

deleted
Last edited by accentuator on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empyreanrrv

Re: BU ($$) vs. Georgetown

Postby empyreanrrv » Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Please help us out by answering these questions: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 pm

accentuator wrote:Hoping for big law. With some family support, I am hoping not to take on too much debt. At the same time, is Georgetown really worth sticker? One can, after all, get into biglaw out of BU, and even though this does not seem to be appreciated on TLS, it should objectively be easier to be in the top 20% at BU than at GULC, for example.

If you've read these threads you'll know there are several critical elements omitted from this post. Like exact CoAs, where you want to practice, LSAT/GPA.

Georgetown is not worth sticker.

accentuator

Postby accentuator » Fri May 10, 2013 8:19 pm

deleted
Last edited by accentuator on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 pm

accentuator wrote:Thank you! BU gave me $30k/year. Honestly, I don't think either of these options is truly good, but I have to bite the bullet and take one of them.

Why do you have to? How many years out of UG are you? And what is your GPA/LSAT?
Edit: just saw your stats. How were these your only options?

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Echoing ImNoScar-- your stats are much better than these schools. Do you have bad softs, or just applied really late? BU with 30k/year is better than Georgetown at sticker easily, but you still are looking at around ~100k of debt.

accentuator

Postby accentuator » Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 pm

deleted
Last edited by accentuator on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Even a successful outcome of biglaw can't dig you out of a Georgetown sticker hole easily. Its A3+biglaw placement is further away from Cornell and Duke than BU is from Georgetown. It is not worth 90k more than BU.

When did you apply?

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 pm

accentuator wrote: but I have to bite the bullet and take one of them.

No you don't.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Precisely what other t14's did you apply to and were the rest straight rejects, wl or what?
You definitely DO NOT have to take either, but if you have little chance for better results then it might be best to take one now or just not go to law school (not sure what reapplying will get you with that conduct...)
Best bet is probably don't go to law school.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat May 11, 2013 8:33 pm

You have a 173 and a 3.9.

Reapply next cycle on September 1st. Have other people read over your application to make sure you don't say anything ridiculous.

Do you have a criminal history or something? I cannot fathom these being the best options for a 173/3.9

accentuator

Postby accentuator » Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 pm

deleted
Last edited by accentuator on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat May 11, 2013 8:37 pm

accentuator wrote:No, I could have applied earlier and presented some things better. However, I am reluctant to reapply. Considering all the people attending schools lower in the range, it seems far-fetched to claim that these are completely unpalatable options. I could have gone to Vanderbilt with decent money but its location is not the best. Maybe I can get into Cornell off the reserve or something.

A 173/3.9 should have no problem getting into Harvard, Columbia, Chicago or NYU next cycle if you apply early with a strong application.

Here are your odds:
http://myLSN.info/keq765_1-14.jpg

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Sat May 11, 2013 9:24 pm

accentuator wrote:No, I could have applied earlier and presented some things better. However, I am reluctant to reapply. Considering all the people attending schools lower in the range, it seems far-fetched to claim that these are completely unpalatable options. I could have gone to Vanderbilt with decent money but its location is not the best. Maybe I can get into Cornell off the reserve or something.

These options don't match up with your numbers at all. Listen to everyone here telling you to reapply early next cycle. There is a huge difference between sticker Georgetown and Harvard.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat May 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Well, we don't know what the conduct problem was, which is why I asked what other schools he applied to. If he already got rejected straight out Y-C, then siting out and reapplying without changing anything might not help much.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm

I second mic. You cant ignore C&F issues, its an important part of the application cycle. Every year a group of people with high numbers will be shot down due to c&f. That wont change cycle to cycle.

Have you talked to Dean Cornblatt about aid? Seeing as they've admitted you, and your numbers are stellar, work some $ out of that cash cow.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:

A 173/3.9 should have no problem getting into Harvard, Columbia, Chicago or NYU next cycle if you apply early with a strong application.

Here are your odds:

Read the OPs statement. This data is not relevant here. Not everything is numbers

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon May 13, 2013 4:12 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Here are your odds:

Read the OPs statement. This data is not relevant here. Not everything is numbers

you sound like a boomer. stop giving bad advice.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 13, 2013 5:06 pm

stillwater wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Here are your odds:

you sound like a boomer. stop giving bad advice.

I agree the OP could benefit from reapplying with a careful review of his/her application.

That doesn't make those the odds with a serious enough CF issue. its bad advice to give those types of expectations where they may not be merited

I always give good advice.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 pm

accentuator wrote:Hoping for big law. With some family support, I am hoping not to take on too much debt. At the same time, is Georgetown really worth sticker? One can, after all, get into biglaw out of BU, and even though this does not seem to be appreciated on TLS, it should objectively be easier to be in the top 20% at BU than at GULC, for example.

The others are 100% correct to suggest that your outcomes don't match your numbers and you should consider trying again next year.

But focusing on the points you make in your OP: (1) Yes, you can get biglaw out of BU, but in the most recent year for which we have stats, barely a quarter of the class pulled it off. No matter how high an opinion you have of yourself, don't assume you'll be one of the lucky ones. (2) Maybe it's easier to be in the top 20% at BU than at GULC (repeat: MAYBE), but you can't ASSUME you'll be able to do it. Do you know how smart and hard-working the people are at BU Law? Best to assume you'll be a median student.

Bottom line: Neither is a good option if you are taking on ~100K or more in debt. (You never actually told us how much debt each school would leave you with.) Gun to head, I'd say BU. GULC's 43% vs. 32% edge in premium employment (biglaw + fedclerk) is not worth 90K extra.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 am

If you have to go this year, take BU but not at 30k/year. I knew two people who had similar numbers and they got full tuition + housing for the first year. If you go to BU, you shouldn't be paying.

North

Postby North » Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Did you murder somebody or something?

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Wed May 15, 2013 5:16 pm

North wrote:Did you murder somebody or something?

What about a DUI? Can you get into a T14 with a DUI on your record?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:49 pm

boblawlob wrote:

What about if you stole pen, pencils and erasers from a grocery store in 7th grade and got a misdemeanor for it. Is that a significant C&F issue that will negatively impact one's application? I know someone that did this dumb thing. :roll:

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
boblawlob wrote:

What about if you stole pen, pencils and erasers from a grocery store in 7th grade and got a misdemeanor for it. Is that a significant C&F issue that will negatively impact one's application? I know someone that did this dumb thing. :roll:

Like having a DUI is something to gloss over :roll:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”