UMichigan vs. UVA - PLEASE help me decide!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
keg411

Platinum

Re: UMichigan vs. UVA - PLEASE help me decide!!

Post by keg411 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:25 am

Pick the cheaper school. If they're both the same cost (or extremely close), then pick the school where you felt more comfortable. There's really little difference otherwise, barring something like being in-state (or close to in-state).

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am

Real Madrid wrote: This is false. Most of UVA's PI placement is actually made up of school-funded positions. Michigan significantly out-places UVA in legitimate PI.
Do we know this for a fact? LST isn't clear on what overlap there may be between PI and School-funded.

But regardless, UVA was still 10% higher than Mich in the biglaw+fedclerk numbers, so unless there is a significant cost difference or strong personal/geographic preference, I'd say UVA is definitely better.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Sat May 11, 2013 11:14 am

First, almost everyone I know from the Midwest would LOVE to be somewhere warmer. It's one thing to be "okay" with the cold and another thing to prefer snow in May over sunshine. That and in regards to pulling call backs via mailers, a friend of mine at UVA ahead of me had solidly median grades and had callbacks and offers from 8/10 "large" firms in Minnesota via mass mailers. Now if you want Chicago that's a completely different story. But Chicago in my mind does not = the Midwest. When I hear Midwest I think of someone trying to go back to a smaller market in the Midwest.

In regards to Real Madrid's continued trolling of UVA I have one statement: Dortmund Borussia.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 am

Well Michigan looks like Hogwarts so there's always that!

On a more serious note though, this is one of those choices where there is no wrong answer, but rather maybe just one that fits you more. Since you've before that you can't make a trip out to visit, I would suggest doing a bunch of research on both and see which one you seem to like more and go with your gut decision. Both great schools and negligible difference in outcomes if you do well. UVA is slightly better, but hey if you think your gonna like Michigan more than you're probably more likely to do better there anyway, and that's all that's really gonna matter in the end.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”