SIU vs. DePaul

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mattviphky

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby mattviphky » Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 am

honestly none of these options are really worth the time or money. I used to think that SIU would be a good option if you have little debt, and want to work in downstate IL, but really, you should just retake and gun for UIUC if working downstate is the goal. You might think, "oh, but UIUC with $140k in debt is a much worse option than 50k in debt at SIU since I want to work in Springfield, Bloomington, or wherever." I used to think that was the case. The problem is that you're not operating in some vacuum. There are plenty of people that are now striking out in the Chicago market at UIUC who are going to have strong preference at the downstate legal jobs because those hiring in the region find the Illinois name fairly prestigious. With hiring down, and with your downstate ambitions, they are both bad options at those prices. If you're facing that predicament, then don't even go. I wouldn't want to be median at SIU, struggling to find legal work downstate, and i wouldn't want to be median at UIUC, trying to pay off all that money with a 45k job. I would retake to get the most money you can, and if it's not enough, then join the national guard and go to UIUC for free. I always advocate the guard route because it's such a good deal in Illinois. This state has hooked veterans up, so you might as well take advantage. Good luck with whatever you do. However, just put all of this shit out of your mind and just focus on getting the LSAT score as high as possible. That should be your goal for June, and then October.

TL;DR: Retake, reapply

romothesavior

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 am

mattviphky wrote:honestly none of these options are really worth the time or money. I used to think that SIU would be a good option if you have little debt, and want to work in downstate IL, but really, you should just retake and gun for UIUC if working downstate is the goal. You might think, "oh, but UIUC with $140k in debt is a much worse option than 50k in debt at SIU since I want to work in Springfield, Bloomington, or wherever."

I still think 50k in debt for SIU is a much better prospect than 140k in debt from UIUC, assuming the person has ties to Illinois and biglaw isn't really involved.

Don't get me wrong, UIUC is a far better school, but 90-100k more in debt isn't really worth it for the degree.

ETA: The best decision would be to retake the LSAT, get a solid scholarship to UIUC, and then go there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”