SIU vs. DePaul

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Younks
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 pm

SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Younks » Fri May 10, 2013 8:24 am

Hey everyone,

I apologize in advance if this comes across as a bit rambling, but here goes.

I have a 2.94 UGPA and 158 LSAT (retaking in June, currently at 161 or so, aiming for 175). If I get at least a 160, I will be guaranteed a full ride at SIU with top 45% stip. I have also been admitted to DePaul with a 25k a year scholly, no stips. I'm currently waitlisted at UIUC and Kent.

Anyway,

I'm interested in some new arguments for either side of Minimize Debt (with connections) or Maximize Prestige.

And.... go!

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby chill » Fri May 10, 2013 8:34 am

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

grandmastafunkz
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby grandmastafunkz » Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am

Chill is absolutely right. Sit out this cycle and knock the socks off of the October LSAT. It could only lead to better offers.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri May 10, 2013 11:46 am

I love the TLS attitude of "sit out and get high 170s bro its easy". I agree retaking is his best option, but let's at least be realistic here

trapster
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby trapster » Fri May 10, 2013 11:49 am

When you say "with connections," I assume you're talking about SIU and the southern IL area? If so, sit out the cycle, bring that LSAT up, and do UIUC. That's your best option by a mile.

Otherwise, have the SIU stip removed so that you have actually have a guaranteed full ride for all three years. If all you're aiming for is staying in southern IL, then SIU for free is fine (even though UIUC would be better).

Do not go to DePaul at that price, and do not consider Kent if you get off the WL. I've been at DePaul/Kent/Loyola for the past three years, and I promise you that it's not worth anything close to that price. Even with $75k, you're still going to graduate with north of $100k in debt and, more likely than not, no job. Bad idea.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm

chill wrote:Don't settle for either of these schools.

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:46 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:I love the TLS attitude of "sit out and get high 170s bro its easy". I agree retaking is his best option, but let's at least be realistic here



+100...sometimes there are things in life that don't allow someone to get 170+. Potential, test taking abilities, work and life issues (i.e. not enough time to study). Not everyone is a fresh college graduate living at home with nothing to do but study for the LSAT. With that said, you should study as hard as you can and use up all 3 tries before you call it quits on the LSAT. If you can get a full scholarship then that is a great deal. Try to get that stip fixed though so that you can guarantee it for the 3 years. Good Luck.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 10, 2013 5:20 pm

trapster wrote:When you say "with connections," I assume you're talking about SIU and the southern IL area? If so, sit out the cycle, bring that LSAT up, and do UIUC. That's your best option by a mile.

Otherwise, have the SIU stip removed so that you have actually have a guaranteed full ride for all three years. If all you're aiming for is staying in southern IL, then SIU for free is fine (even though UIUC would be better).

Do not go to DePaul at that price, and do not consider Kent if you get off the WL. I've been at DePaul/Kent/Loyola for the past three years, and I promise you that it's not worth anything close to that price. Even with $75k, you're still going to graduate with north of $100k in debt and, more likely than not, no job. Bad idea.

As a fellow Illinoisan, +1 to all of this.

Retake>>>SIU with the stip removed>>>>>>>>>>>>>Taking on debt at any of the Chicago schools below Chicago/Northwestern (none of them are prestigious btw).

Younks
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Younks » Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm inclined toward just going to Southern and starting my own firm. I have little interest cwhoreporate law, and would ideally start my own firm in a few years.

To those I haven't alienated, how would you recommend getting the SIU stip removed? My connection is a former gubernatorial candidate who runs his own firm, so I'm pretty sure I can get out of there as a competent lawyer with little debt (maybe under 20k just for cost of living).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Younks wrote:I'm inclined toward just going to Southern and starting my own firm. I have little interest cwhoreporate law, and would ideally start my own firm in a few years.

To those I haven't alienated, how would you recommend getting the SIU stip removed? My connection is a former gubernatorial candidate who runs his own firm, so I'm pretty sure I can get out of there as a competent lawyer with little debt (maybe under 20k just for cost of living).

I don't think you've "alienated" anyone here. You should email them and tell them that you will go if they remove the stipulation. That stipulation is ridiculous.

What kind of law do you want to do?

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Tekrul » Fri May 10, 2013 7:27 pm

This could be totally off base but I thought I'd throw a comment in.

It seemed like you had an apologetic (or perhaps passively retaliatory) thing going on by addressing the people you haven't alienated, when in fact you haven't said anything outside of polite or garnered any ill-will ITT. Also, no-one really had any comments directed at you that you should have taken as offense or otherwise concluded as having alienated. Coming from an individual who is ultra-sensitive as well, you will need to internalize and develop a thick skin for yourself in preparation for a career in law unless you are planning to enter a field of law that is characterized by work that this nature will not adversely affect.

There was a really cool list of fields, I think published by the ABA, with a brief description of the law involved and the kind of temperament it was suited for with regards to the type of client interaction and nature of work it demanded. I'll see if I can't dig that up for you.

I'm off off base :oops:

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby mattviphky » Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 am

Younks wrote:Hey everyone,

I apologize in advance if this comes across as a bit rambling, but here goes.

I have a 2.94 UGPA and 158 LSAT (retaking in June, currently at 161 or so, aiming for 175). If I get at least a 160, I will be guaranteed a full ride at SIU with top 45% stip. I have also been admitted to DePaul with a 25k a year scholly, no stips. I'm currently waitlisted at UIUC and Kent.

Anyway,

I'm interested in some new arguments for either side of Minimize Debt (with connections) or Maximize Prestige.

And.... go!


I was in a similar spot 2 years ago. I sat out a year, studied and retook the LSAT. I just wrapped up my 1L at UIUC. If you want to be in Southern Illinois, you should try to kill the LSAT and get a full ride to SIU, because with your GPA, you might only get a 25% scholarship to UIUC, and I just don't think 135k debt from UIUC is better than 35k debt from SIU for someone who wants to do small law in So Ill. But I wouldn't even think about that now. The only thing that should be on your mind is killing the LSAT. If you aim for a retake in October, and study your ass off, then you might end up with a 161, or a 171. Once that happens, then you can address scholarships, schools, etc. Right now, just focus on the LSAT and doing the very best you can. Btw, aim high

User avatar
Steve2207
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Steve2207 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:21 am

Did you ask SIU to remove the stipulation? I sent a simple e-mail expressing concern with their 2.8 GPA stip and they removed mine! I should clarify that I was NOT offered a free ride scholarship though, so they may not be as ready to remove the stipulation for you. Still, after factoring in my GI Bill it will be close to free. (Good luck on the retake, I will be re-writing myself in June)

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 am

Don't go to Loyola, Depaul, Kent or John Marshall without a full ride without stipulations. Actually don't go to John Marshall at all. SIU with a full ride is a good choice as long as you're ok with staying in Southern Illinois for the rest of your life.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby timbs4339 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:40 am

TTThat sTTTip is TTTerrible.

If you get it removed Southern at full isn't a terrible choice. But you can only go up with a retake.

Younks
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Younks » Mon May 20, 2013 11:45 am

The admissions office is refusing to remove the stip, however, I also just was admitted to Kent with 20k/yr no stip. I'm thinking of retaking in June (I will for sure), and trying to transfer to the T14 (Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, UChi, etc.) if my rank's high enough.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking here. Maybe how much is prestige worth? I could get a law degree (with experience, seeing as I have a job lined up in So Ill) for less than 30k, probably 20k from SIU, but over 70k at Kent.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby timbs4339 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:52 am

Younks wrote:The admissions office is refusing to remove the stip, however, I also just was admitted to Kent with 20k/yr no stip. I'm thinking of retaking in June (I will for sure), and trying to transfer to the T14 (Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, UChi, etc.) if my rank's high enough.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking here. Maybe how much is prestige worth? I could get a law degree (with experience, seeing as I have a job lined up in So Ill) for less than 30k, probably 20k from SIU, but over 70k at Kent.


Neither of those schools are "prestigious"- that's like asking what tastes "good," piss or shit? The editor in chief of the Kent law review graduated without a job a few years back. Illinois could be called "prestigious" but you don't have an offer there yet.

The problem is that stip is really sketchy. If you just want to stay in the area SIU is fine, but if you lose the scholly you're in a terrible pickle. Of course, if you get below median you'd seriously want to consider dropping out because it will be that much harder to find a job.

Don't go in trying to transfer, because it won't happen.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Younks wrote:The admissions office is refusing to remove the stip, however, I also just was admitted to Kent with 20k/yr no stip. I'm thinking of retaking in June (I will for sure), and trying to transfer to the T14 (Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, UChi, etc.) if my rank's high enough.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking here. Maybe how much is prestige worth? I could get a law degree (with experience, seeing as I have a job lined up in So Ill) for less than 30k, probably 20k from SIU, but over 70k at Kent.

I'll reiterate what timbs said. Neither school is even remotely prestigious. No one in the legal industry will be "impressed" by either one.

If you truly do have a job lined up and SIU is cheaper, then go there. Otherwise, retake the LSAT and gun for a better school.

Younks
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Younks » Mon May 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Piss and shit metaphors, really? After all those readings about Aeschylean dramas, that's the best analogy you can come up with?

I decided to go with Kent, a retake in June, and plans of no social life next year. I can always hang my own shingle - the idea with Southern is that I could do it with less debt, and more start-up capital and therefore have a higher chance of financial success (20k in debt - based solely off living expenses along with a pretty-much guaranteed job in labor and civil rights law with a former gubernatorial candidate isn't a bad deal, rheTTToric aside).

Doch fick es, I will go with peer pressure and hope it serves me well. Kent class of 2016!

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Clearly » Mon May 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Younks wrote:Piss and shit metaphors, really? After all those readings about Aeschylean dramas, that's the best analogy you can come up with?

I decided to go with Kent, a retake in June, and plans of no social life next year. I can always hang my own shingle - the idea with Southern is that I could do it with less debt, and more start-up capital and therefore have a higher chance of financial success (20k in debt - based solely off living expenses along with a pretty-much guaranteed job in labor and civil rights law with a former gubernatorial candidate isn't a bad deal, rheTTToric aside).

Doch fick es, I will go with peer pressure and hope it serves me well. Kent class of 2016!

What peer pressure? Everyone told you to retake and pass on these schools...

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Younks wrote:Piss and shit metaphors, really? After all those readings about Aeschylean dramas, that's the best analogy you can come up with?

I decided to go with Kent, a retake in June, and plans of no social life next year. I can always hang my own shingle - the idea with Southern is that I could do it with less debt, and more start-up capital and therefore have a higher chance of financial success (20k in debt - based solely off living expenses along with a pretty-much guaranteed job in labor and civil rights law with a former gubernatorial candidate isn't a bad deal, rheTTToric aside).

Doch fick es, I will go with peer pressure and hope it serves me well. Kent class of 2016!

What peer pressure? Everyone told you to retake and pass on these schools...

He made two separate threads and everyone told him not to go. There was no peer pressure to go to Kent. I don't think anyone even has recommended Kent.

The only school that isn't completely idiotic to attend in this situation is Southern. You even just said less debt, more start up capital, etc. but you're still taking Kent?

Smart money says this ends poorly.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby timbs4339 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Younks wrote:Piss and shit metaphors, really? After all those readings about Aeschylean dramas, that's the best analogy you can come up with?

I decided to go with Kent, a retake in June, and plans of no social life next year. I can always hang my own shingle - the idea with Southern is that I could do it with less debt, and more start-up capital and therefore have a higher chance of financial success (20k in debt - based solely off living expenses along with a pretty-much guaranteed job in labor and civil rights law with a former gubernatorial candidate isn't a bad deal, rheTTToric aside).

Doch fick es, I will go with peer pressure and hope it serves me well. Kent class of 2016!


Something tells me you weren't paying attention in Classics 101 if you think the Greeks weren't down for a bit of scatological humor. Anyway, good luck with the shit sandwich. You're actually making the worst decision of any of your options, but hey, since I can't be bothered to think up a nice metaphor to describe how terrible it is, the fact that I'm actually a lawyer and can tell you that Kent has no "prestige" probably isn't relevant to your decision at all.

Since you seem to be missing the point:

romothesavior wrote:The only school that isn't completely idiotic to attend in this situation is Southern.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 6:46 pm

Guys, come on. Kent is an excellent choice. Look at that baller ass underemployment score.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chicago-kent

I mean that pretty. When the underemployment score breaches 1/3 the employment score, you know you're hot on the money. Just as Xerxes crossed the Hellespont without an ounce of hubris, so shall you conquer a destabilized industry alone with your six figure debt & a JD from Chicago-Kent

hope that metaphor worked better for you

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby Ti Malice » Mon May 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Younks wrote:I can always hang my own shingle - the idea with Southern is that I could do it with less debt, and more start-up capital and therefore have a higher chance of financial success

I decided to go with Kent [and ~$160K debt at graduation]

Kent class of 2016!


There are no words.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: SIU vs. DePaul

Postby 20141023 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:33 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests