UC Hastings, UCI, Pepperdine, U of Arizona or ASU?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you pick based on the above info?

UC Hastings
12%
UC Irvine
64%
University of Arizona
7%
ASU
7%
Pepperdine
9%

Total votes: 67

y2zipper

New

Re: UC Hastings, UCI, Pepperdine, U of Arizona or ASU??

Post by y2zipper » Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 pm

The correct response is retake and use your military waiver at UCLA/T-14 when you break 170 on the LSAT. Nobody's being elitist here, and while some are Douchey about it, we want OP to actually have a shot at a lawyer job when he graduates law school. In this job market, just getting into law school isn't good enough. Sorry, but it isn't. I'm retaking a 3.0 / 160 myself for the same reason.

Pick based on law school transparency job prospects, not useless rankings.

If you're out of takes and want to roll tbe dice anyway, take UCI because an unknown is slightly better than schools that place less than 50% of grads in lawyer jobs and you only have to borrow CoL.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 10, 2013 3:10 pm

First post guys. Just a flame. The contradictory statements are a joke.

At least I hope that's the case.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 pm

The ironic thing, reading back through the thread not a single person attacked op whatsoever or was a douche. The closest was "these are all trash schools," which no reasonable man can misconstrue as an attack on op.
I think westcoast just wanted to argue and define himself as "un-elitist" by creating a straw man and (unsuccessfully) tearing it down.

Eta: flame well done? Idk, the specific of UCLA seems too good for a flame to construct...I'm sticking with stupid or evil.

PotLuck

Bronze

Post by PotLuck » Fri May 10, 2013 3:46 pm

My opinion

UofA/UCI>Hastings>Retake.

UofA with a $20k/year is awesome. UCI for free is good but keep in mind the CoL in OC is almost DOUBLE the living in Tucson. Not saying that it will make UofA cheaper by any means, but remember to factor in the shitty OC housing prices.

I say UofA because they are established and a safer bet worth the extra cost. I don't understand why more people aren't interest in Arizona tbh. I say UCI because free is good and there is a chance they will do okay in the long run. I dont suggest Hastings because their numbers are ridiculously low now. Although it is free, free+good is better. Pepperdine is not the right choice no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT! ASU would be a consideration if they gave you money. Even if they matched UofA i'd still take Arizona.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm

PotLuck wrote:My opinion

UofA/UCI>Hastings>Retake.

UofA with a $20k/year is awesome. UCI for free is good but keep in mind the CoL in OC is almost DOUBLE the living in Tucson. Not saying that it will make UofA cheaper by any means, but remember to factor in the shitty OC housing prices.

I say UofA because they are established and a safer bet worth the extra cost. I don't understand why more people aren't interest in Arizona tbh. I say UCI because free is good and there is a chance they will do okay in the long run. I dont suggest Hastings because their numbers are ridiculously low now. Although it is free, free+good is better. Pepperdine is not the right choice no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT! ASU would be a consideration if they gave you money. Even if they matched UofA i'd still take Arizona.
No. U of A makes no sense at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

froglee

New

Post by froglee » Fri May 10, 2013 9:18 pm

bchirco wrote:
froglee wrote:All trash schools...just don't go
All trash schools, wtf? Sure Hastings and Pepperdine are kind of terrible now. BUT UofA actually has decent numbers and UCI is up & coming. Seriously UofA is the right answer in this choice. UCI may or may not be a bad school but UofA has the numbers to back it up. 65% to get a REAL job, prob not biglaw but with the small amount of debt you should have no problem managing it. Plus the alumni base is way cooler than UCI's.
Why don't you posted UoA and ASU's numbers up here

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Lol at the poll results, damn people are gullible
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sat May 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Borhas wrote:Lol at the poll results, damn people are gullible
If "none of the above" was an option it'd be at 100%.

New

Post by 762 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:43 pm

UA 2L here, UA is a good school for AZ, CO, NM, and NV. In CA the market is far too saturated. San Diego is more likely than LA or SF, but in either case there are very few students who even want to go to CA to practice. Sure after several years of practice maybe you could find a job in CA, but the entry level market is not easily accessible.

If you want to get a job in CA go to school there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PotLuck

Bronze

Post by PotLuck » Mon May 13, 2013 12:28 pm

froglee wrote:
bchirco wrote:
froglee wrote:All trash schools...just don't go
All trash schools, wtf? Sure Hastings and Pepperdine are kind of terrible now. BUT UofA actually has decent numbers and UCI is up & coming. Seriously UofA is the right answer in this choice. UCI may or may not be a bad school but UofA has the numbers to back it up. 65% to get a REAL job, prob not biglaw but with the small amount of debt you should have no problem managing it. Plus the alumni base is way cooler than UCI's.
Why don't you posted UoA and ASU's numbers up here
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=arizona

65.8% 20.1% 1.3%
Employment Score? Under-Employment Score? Unknown Score?
2.7%? 12.1%? 16.8%? 0%? June 2013?
Federal Clerkship Rate Large Firm Score Public Service Score School-Funded Rate Salary Response Score

Here's the numbers since you can't check LST. As far as a 20-50 school goes these are good stats. Arizona's career team is ridiculous. That's a 31.6% chance to get a job that "matters" and a 65% chance of being a lawyer in general. Minnesota doesn't even have this good of numbers. With the scholly UofA makes A LOT of sense. If it were at sticker, it'd be different.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:40 pm

y2zipper wrote:The correct response is retake and use your military waiver at UCLA/T-14 when you break 170 on the LSAT. Nobody's being elitist here, and while some are Douchey about it, we want OP to actually have a shot at a lawyer job when he graduates law school. In this job market, just getting into law school isn't good enough. Sorry, but it isn't. I'm retaking a 3.0 / 160 myself for the same reason.

Pick based on law school transparency job prospects, not useless rankings.

If you're out of takes and want to roll tbe dice anyway, take UCI because an unknown is slightly better than schools that place less than 50% of grads in lawyer jobs and you only have to borrow CoL.
GPA's too low for UCLA bro, even with a 170+ the outlook is not good.

PotLuck

Bronze

Post by PotLuck » Mon May 13, 2013 12:52 pm

froglee wrote:But I still voted for Pepperdine...
Oh, and here are the numbers for pepperdine. Frog's vote.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=pepperdine

45.5%* 35.7% 1.4%
Employment Score? Under-Employment Score? Unknown Score?
3.3%? 4.7%? 6.1%? 4.2%? June 2013?
Federal Clerkship Rate Large Firm Score Public Service Score School-Funded Rate Salary Response Score

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Wed May 15, 2013 12:25 am

jbagelboy wrote: aren't the arizona schools (uoa/asu) largely online universities? I never rly thought of them are real schools
Wow. And they say TLS is elitist... A lot of people posting retarded advice on this thread are losing any credibility they once thought they had.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed May 15, 2013 12:42 am

westcoast123 wrote:Most of you in here are just plain ignorant. I don't know if you all have heard, BUT there are other law schools that exist outside the top 20. The OP isn't asking why you think that you're "sooooooo much better" than him/her. I honestly find it amusing that you all have such low self-esteem that you need to patrol the forums for the sole purpose of telling someone that getting into law school isn't good enough. A lot of people would kill to have the opportunity to attend such esteemed universities. Once again, just because it is not Stanford, Cal, or UCLA does not warrant some of these responses.

And for the person who thinks that UofA and ASU are only online schools, you're an idiot. Get your facts straight before you come on to a public forum and belittle someone's accomplishments. Out of the two Arizona schools, UofA has a great program (especially in Environmental law) and, as someone else mentioned, students have consistently been landing real jobs upon graduation.

Now to answer the actual question. I personally think that any of these schools are excellent choices (all ranked in the top 50 by US News besides Pepperdine). UCI is brand new and already has been making a name for themselves. I can easily see it being ranked in the top 30 when it is eligible to be ranked. UCI with a full ride is hands down the best option here, but UofA would be my next bet. The job market in California right now is awful with the market being completely saturated with lawyers.

And for all of those that care, I am attending UCLA.
Still does not make it a good choice.

I didn't care.

That being said OP, if I were in your shoes, I would go to UCI if I got in off the waitlist - UCI has decent connections down there, especially in the Orange County offices... And it being free tuition is downright awesome. UCI is still young enough that they REALLY care about their graduates' job placement, so career services will be working overtime on your behalf.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 15, 2013 2:27 am

^^^

No, OP, do not go to uci lolschool.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 15, 2013 2:27 am

gitguy wrote: Wow. And they say TLS is elitist... A lot of people posting retarded advice on this thread are losing any credibility they once thought they had.
I'll freely admit I know very little about the arizona university network, but I know a lot about the UC's.

my comment was intended as a joke riffing on the scorn the posters in the thread were heaping on the options presented. I claim no credibility with a choice between the two besides what I can gather from LST.

Actually I do know U of A has a decent MBA program but thats about it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”