(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Notre Dame or UCI

Notre Dame
59%
UC Irvine
41%

Total votes: 44

Dr. Dre

Re: Notre Dame vs. UC Irvine

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 pm

OP is URM?

WHY AREN'T YOU RETAKING?

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:OP is URM?

WHY AREN'T YOU RETAKING?

He says he's tapped out, took it 4x already :-/

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 pm

boblawlob wrote:
cinephile wrote:You said you want biglaw. The answer is retake.

I already retook a shit load of times. This is the card I'm dealt with.

I say I want biglaw, but of course I know I won't get that for certain. Same with someone coming to Cornell Law for example. Chances are definitely higher at Cornell, but they are no means a guarantee.

If you can't better your situation then consider yourself, in the immortal words of Mr. Pancakes, "disqualified" from attending law school. Going to law school is not a God-given right or something that should be pursued in the face of reason. You never got to be in a position where it makes sense to attend. And that's ok. There are other careers out there.

If you really want to be a lawyer then go someplace that makes sense. Either choose different schools or keep retaking if you're just not in a position for any school to make sense.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu May 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Last edited by boblawlob on Fri May 17, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 pm

boblawlob wrote:
BigZuck wrote:If you can't better your situation then consider yourself, in the immortal words of Mr. Pancakes, "disqualified" from attending law school. Going to law school is not a God-given right or something that should be pursued in the face of reason. You never got to be in a position where it makes sense to attend. And that's ok. There are other careers out there.

If you really want to be a lawyer then go someplace that makes sense. Either choose different schools or keep retaking if you're just not in a position for any school to make sense.

I retook the LSAT because I disqualified myself from law schools that accepted such low scores.

Presently, this is the best outcome for someone with my numbers (somewhat). In my opinion, this is not the end of the world with the law school choices that I have. I'm grateful to be in my present situation w/o going to a t14 school (which is obvi the ideal but things don't work out the way you wish). With family help, the debt I will be taking on by going to either school will not be outrageous. Hell, is going to a T14 school at sticker price, getting biglaw, and then getting the boot after 3 years any better than taking a lower ranked school at a lesser price?

your last question is a tough one to answer if you make it in that top 30% in biglaw at ND or a peer, but the T13 scenario is definitely better than not being able to have a legal job. This is Zuck's concern.

I disagree with him that these schools "disqualify" you from attending law school. Many successful attorneys emerge from Notre Dame.. just not all Notre Dame grads become attorneys.

You should qualify this "family help" so people actually know what the risks are. Going to ND for free wouldn't be a bad bet IMO. Going for the debt you listed there carries significant risk. What is your actual approximate debt figure from ND?

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 pm

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:17 pm

okay. I think ND is somewhat reasonable at that debt. Not ideal for biglaw but you can manage it with another job if you strike out.

Go Irish!

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 am

Even at that price ND is a horrible trap for someone from CA.

trapster

Postby trapster » Fri May 10, 2013 12:49 am

jbagelboy wrote:okay. I think ND is somewhat reasonable at that debt. Not ideal for biglaw but you can manage it with another job if you strike out.

Go Irish!

What other job is going to be there if he strikes out? Especially one that will allow him to service $100k in debt?

LST has ND at a 22.4% large firm score, and a 64.3% employment score. Are you really willing to bet $100k given those percentages? Maybe the debt doesn't seem like a big deal right now, but three years from now, when you're staring at a six-figure loan balance that requires you to pay hundreds (or thousands if you're lucky enough to be able to service the debt on a standard 10-year plan) of dollars per month is daunting.

If OP really wants to be a lawyer, surely there is a more reasonable option out there.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Fri May 10, 2013 1:19 am

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri May 10, 2013 1:27 am

you need to decide which town you like better in which to settle: Chicago or SoCal. Then choose the midwest or SoCal school, respectively.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 am

boblawlob wrote:
trapster wrote:If OP really wants to be a lawyer, surely there is a more reasonable option out there.

Unfortunately not.

If I go to a school lower in ranking to get close to full ride, I run into higher gpa stipulations on scholarships.

California'd

The question is: do you want to be a lawyer or do you just want to be a biglawyer? What kind of law do you want to practice?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 am

if your going to be in debt, forget SOCAL. The COL there is horrendous.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 am

Dr. Dre wrote:if your going to be in debt, forget SOCAL. The COL there is horrendous.

lol shit tell me about it I'm filling up at like $4.09/gallon here in OC, my gf calls her family in mid-west and they're paying $3.2x.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 pm

timbs4339 wrote:The question is: do you want to be a lawyer or do you just want to be a biglawyer? What kind of law do you want to practice?

Please answer this question, OP, as you're going to have to reassess your goal of landing BigLaw. With the options you have for the price you'll have to pay, I'd say law school isn't worth it for you at this point.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Fri May 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Last edited by boblawlob on Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Who is voting UCI? Show yourselves!

I think most of " retake" votes would be gun to their head "ND" votes given your goals. This shouldnt be a tie :/

I think this is the best answer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:31 pm

jbagelboy wrote:lol shit tell me about it I'm filling up at like $4.09/gallon here in OC, my gf calls her family in mid-west and they're paying $3.2x.

Not in Chicago and the rest of the midwest is shit so it's not like the price of gas there matters.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 10, 2013 1:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:lol shit tell me about it I'm filling up at like $4.09/gallon here in OC, my gf calls her family in mid-west and they're paying $3.2x.

Not in Chicago and the rest of the midwest is shit so it's not like the price of gas there matters.

All major metropolitan areas will have higher price indices...but most of SoCal isn't even urban and its still crazy expensive. and the bolded is a highly subjective statement that screams coastal/cook county elitism (fyi I'm "coastal" too). there are some underrated cities in the flyover zone

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri May 10, 2013 1:35 pm

I really do appreciate the desire to go to law school -- I'm not discounting that at all, but wanting something a lot doesn't mean you should spend 100k-150k on it. I mean, you could pick up a year-old Aston Martin for that kind of cash; doesn't mean you should do that either. The difference, of course, is that if you stop making payments on the Aston Martin, you lose the car. If you stop making payments on loan debt, your wages get garnished.

There's a poster on this forum who is moving back from a foreign country and is trying to decide if Cornell at sticker is worth it. If they don't go to Cornell, they'll basically be homeless. If I met you at UCI's ASW, you're from at least a middle class family and won't starve to death in the near future. The median age people enter law school is like 24. Take a year off. Maybe take three years off.

If this were me, I'd go to OCS and come back in 2-3 years. If that's not your cup of tea, get a job and work for a few years. If you really want biglaw, realistically the only places worth going to are in the T14 range.

If you absolutely must go to law school this fall, UCI > ND.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 pm

bk1 wrote:

You're a good poster usually, but take your elitist crap and shove it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”