(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Notre Dame or UCI

Notre Dame
59%
UC Irvine
41%

Total votes: 44

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Last edited by boblawlob on Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Re: Notre Dame vs. UC Irvine

Postby Micdiddy » Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Come on man. You've been around TLS long enough now, why even post this? Ruin your life whatever way you want to.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 09, 2013 5:34 pm

If its gotta be these two... Geez, you should go to notre dame.

I might choose UCI here (for myself) cause I dont like the ND brand & I would have a place in newport so 0 CoL. I would give up all biglaw hopes though. these are very specific circumstances.

For most people I would say ND. Their 30% number isnt great but its a real and consistent data point whereas UCIs % mean nothing at this point. There's a community and its a name that people will recognize around the country. The region is less inundated than southern CA. I cant help but think the brand will help if your grasping straws anyway.

Bon chance

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu May 09, 2013 5:42 pm

You said you want biglaw. The answer is retake.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 pm

You know that if you want biglaw, you need to go to a T14 school preferably with a scholly. The chances of getting biglaw from either school are not good enough to drop 150K on.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Thu May 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Go to Notre Dame and work like a beast in the classroom! I'm most likely going to Boston College and I'm sure the sticker "gamble" will pay off. Come on, dude. Notre Dame's a great school and on another level compared to UC Irvine. 8)

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu May 09, 2013 6:11 pm

DaRascal wrote:Go to Notre Dame and work like a beast in the classroom! I'm most likely going to Boston College and I'm sure the sticker "gamble" will pay off. Come on, dude. Notre Dame's a great school and on another level compared to UC Irvine. 8)

Didn't you get banned for your terrible attempts at trolling?

OP these are bad options for your goals. Don't go if you won't retake.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu May 09, 2013 6:12 pm

cinephile wrote:You said you want biglaw. The answer is retake.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Thu May 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Nelson wrote:
DaRascal wrote:Go to Notre Dame and work like a beast in the classroom! I'm most likely going to Boston College and I'm sure the sticker "gamble" will pay off. Come on, dude. Notre Dame's a great school and on another level compared to UC Irvine. 8)

Didn't you get banned for your terrible attempts at trolling?

Well I wasn't really trolling I was just drunk and trying to get pumped for BC. I'm just saying that it seems like TLS is overly cynical about the legal economy. Plenty of successful lawyers graduate from T30's! Based on everything I've ever read on TLS I think that you can justify going to almost every T1 at sticker but then beyond that is when it starts to become a bad decision.

Btw, the Flyers suck!

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
cinephile wrote:You said you want biglaw. The answer is retake.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:59 pm

For as much as you typed in the OP, it contains surprisingly little information (only 5 for 8 in critical information). If you want advice that doesn't include "retake or don't go" you need to provide the rest.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Assuming those COA figures and career aspirations are accurate: retake

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 pm

I could say A LOT, but i'll only say this: please don't go to uc irvine. . .

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Everything you say is horse shit. Do you ever post anything useful?

This:

Nelson wrote:

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:42 pm

If you're BigLaw or bust, then I'm going to have to join in with the Retake Chorus. But if retaking is not in your plans, and you have to go to one of these two:

How badly do you want to practice outside of CA? Seems to me that your emphasis on the CA bar in your pro/cons suggests you might want to stick around? If so, then Irvine is a better bet than ND in a vacuum. I think you should make this decision before you make your school decision. If you want to practice in CA, then UCI>ND. If you want to practice in Chicago, then ND>UCI. If you want to practice outside of Chicago or CA, then it's going to be an incredibly uphill battle at either of these schools, even more so when we consider your BigLaw aspirations.

If your answer is "I don't know" or "I don't care," then I say UCI. If you strike out, I know I'd prefer my degree to have some use in a place where I have ties and I know the lay of the land. Otherwise, you've got a degree that's not very useful anywhere outside of the upper Midwest, and you have no idea what a Hoosier is because you grew up in California. Bad combo. Plus, UCI's LRAP ain't shabby, which will at least give you a second swing at avoiding unpayable debt if you miss the BigLaw train.

boblawlob wrote:DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST.

You can't tell me what to do.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:44 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:

don't be a jerk

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:57 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:If you're BigLaw or bust, then I'm going to have to join in with the Retake Chorus. But if retaking is not in your plans, and you have to go to one of these two:

How badly do you want to practice outside of CA? Seems to me that your emphasis on the CA bar in your pro/cons suggests you might want to stick around? If so, then Irvine is a better bet than ND in a vacuum. I think you should make this decision before you make your school decision. If you want to practice in CA, then UCI>ND. If you want to practice in Chicago, then ND>UCI. If you want to practice outside of Chicago or CA, then it's going to be an incredibly uphill battle at either of these schools, even more so when we consider your BigLaw aspirations.

If your answer is "I don't know" or "I don't care," then I say UCI. If you strike out, I know I'd prefer my degree to have some use in a place where I have ties and I know the lay of the land. Otherwise, you've got a degree that's not very useful anywhere outside of the upper Midwest, and you have no idea what a Hoosier is because you grew up in California. Bad combo. Plus, UCI's LRAP ain't shabby, which will at least give you a second swing at avoiding unpayable debt if you miss the BigLaw train.

boblawlob wrote:DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST.

Why are you talking like Notre Dame is a regional school? That seems pretty ridiculous, coming from a current student, it is not. Is "biglaw" most likely in Chicago? I would say yes, but honestly some people might disagree and even say more people land more biglaw type jobs from ND in the California and New York markets. Sorry but if you are making a decision between these two schools you should talk to alumni/career services/etc... TLS can be a very useful resource and a good starting point, but take some of these posts, including mine, with a grain of salt, considering where it may be coming from, e.g., from a 0L.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:59 pm

wh3931110 wrote:
Why are you talking like Notre Dame is a regional school?

He only says that because he is a huge UCI enthusiast, and so, undermines ND's reputation when comparing it to UCI's so UCI won't look so bad.

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
wh3931110 wrote:
Why are you talking like Notre Dame is a regional school?

He only says that because he is a huge UCI enthusiast, and so, undermines ND's reputation when comparing it to UCI's so UCI won't look so bad.

Oh ok, thanks haha

prāna

Postby prāna » Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Last edited by prāna on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Who is voting UCI? Show yourselves!

I think most of " retake" votes would be gun to their head "ND" votes given your goals. This shouldnt be a tie :/

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

don't be a jerk

Es un chiste, señor.

wh3931110 wrote:Why are you talking like Notre Dame is a regional school?

While I'm sure there are outliers, all schools outside the T14 (and even some inside) should be considered regional. Schools in the 15-30 range do better in their home markets, significantly better, in fact, and I'm just pointing out that if location is going to be a major variable in OP's calculus, he should focus on that and not, for example, SoCal firm diversity preferences and Moot Court competitiveness. That's not 0L speculation, that's lawschooltransparency.com and actual research.

I'm not trying to undermine Notre Dame's reputation; single-mindedly hating a given school is Dre's job. If OP wants to practice in Chicago, then I say Go Irish. I think it's a good school and will give OP a puncher's chance to succeed, which is all one can hope for from any school. But to say that it's got a national reach to the point where OP should pick it over a regional CA school (assuming he wants to practice in CA) is suspect.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Last edited by boblawlob on Fri May 17, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 9:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Who is voting UCI? Show yourselves!

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Thu May 09, 2013 9:23 pm

You understand that feeling "sure" about your success in LS is not equal to actually succeeding, right? You're making a huge mistake you could attend better schools (he is URM). You should not attend BC sticker! Stop trying to convince yourself its a good idea. If you reapply, take a year off, etc. you could break into the top 20. It has happened before!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”