(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Re: UVA vs. UCLA $$ vs. Alabama $$$

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 am

UCLA is definitely out at that price (not even considering the lack of ties). Bama sounds like its out. I guess I would bite the bullet at UVA.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri May 10, 2013 11:32 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
pjo wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
pjo wrote:Your total debt calculation is a little off. Tuition at UVA for next year is 52,900. You don't need 33,600 to live in Charlottesville (coming from a2L 3L at UVA). Idk your circumstances, but you can live here for 20k easily, potentially even less. It's still a lot of debt, but I would say that your debt would be closer to 215,000 (assuming you would be able to get a 2L SA job and use the money to take out less loans and COL as 15-20k)

Interest bro.

Your interest is like 5k per year. So your debt would be like 230k. I'm telling you, even without a scholarship a lot of people graduate UVA around 200k in debt. It's really cheap to live here (my rent is 400/mo, all utilities and internet are an additional 70/mo.). Plus you can decrease how much you have to borrow by like 20k if you get an SA gig.

This is just not accurate. Yes the first year interest will be close to 5k, but it compounds like a bitch the 2nd and 3rd years. the calculation above is pretty much based on living on 20k/year. Tuition keeps going up every year and interest accrued over 3 years is going to be around 40k total at graduation.

Lol ok dude. You're an 0L right? I mean, it's not like I haven't been doing this for going on three years and can look at my own loan statements, but yeah, I'm sure the kid who hasn't gone through this knows more than the guy who has.

Also, tuition only goes up by about 1500 per year. And again, if you wanted to, you could live in C-ville for even less than 20k (I do, and many others do as well). Plus the money from the 2L SA. It will not cost 260k unless you have it set in your head to borrow the max.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 am

pjo wrote:
Lol ok dude. You're an 0L right? I mean, it's not like I haven't been doing this for going on three years and can look at my own loan statements, but yeah, I'm sure the kid who hasn't gone through this knows more than the guy who has.

I'm not sure how attending law school makes one better equipped to understand how compound interest works. How much interest do you think accrues during the third year when you have 7-8% loans and over 200k taken out?

syd625

Postby syd625 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am

pjo wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
pjo wrote:Your total debt calculation is a little off. Tuition at UVA for next year is 52,900. You don't need 33,600 to live in Charlottesville (coming from a2L 3L at UVA). Idk your circumstances, but you can live here for 20k easily, potentially even less. It's still a lot of debt, but I would say that your debt would be closer to 215,000 (assuming you would be able to get a 2L SA job and use the money to take out less loans and COL as 15-20k)

Interest bro.

Your interest is like 5k per year. So your debt would be like 230k. I'm telling you, even without a scholarship a lot of people graduate UVA around 200k in debt. It's really cheap to live here. Plus you can decrease how much you have to borrow by like 20k if you get an SA gig.

I used the numbers on UVA's website and added in loan fees since I'll be borrowing and UVA doesn't include those. I also deducted 15,000 for a SA job. I'm definitely going to try to live as cheaply as possible but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't underestimating or fooling myself. But it's good to hear that it's possible to make it a bit better. Six thousand of that is also health insurance since I can't get it through my parents which might account for some of the discrepancy.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 10, 2013 11:39 am

UVA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UCLA > bama

syd625

Postby syd625 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:55 am

Dr. Dre wrote:UVA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UCLA > bama

That's been my thought process so far. But I have to say I'm kind of shocked you put UCLA over Bama. :lol:

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 am

Isn't the non-subsidized Stafford a relatively new thing? Meaning 2Ls and 3Ls have less interest accumulating than those who entered last year and will enter this year?

Also I don't see why knowing what a tort is would make a person any more equipped to understand how compound interest works.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Going to UVA at sticker is ABSURD.

Signed,

unemployed UVA law c/o 2013 student

If you're that obsessed with having a mediocre shot at biglaw (because that's what you have at a school like UVA--a mediocre chance at landing biglaw) then you need to retake to get the debt down to a level that's at least reasonable. Sticker is basically stupid.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Going to UVA at sticker is ABSURD.

Signed,

If you're that obsessed with having a mediocre shot at biglaw (because that's what you have at a school like UVA--a mediocre chance at landing biglaw) then you need to retake to get the debt down to a level that's at least reasonable. Sticker is basically stupid.

Oh God, no

Eta: Bruce will you be bringing JCougar back with you or just sticking to one screen name?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Signed,

Oh God, no

Eta: Bruce will you be bringing JCougar back with you or just sticking to one screen name?

Lol we really need to find a way to ban 0Ls from discussing employment issues. Also, you might want to pick a user who agrees with the majority of my posts when making an alt accusation.

Anyway OP going to UVA law at sticker is downright irresponsible ITE. If you want more details as to why I'm happy to explain. But for starters about 20% of our class ends up on the school's "fellowship". That's not something you take out 200K+ in non-dischargeable debt for.

Good Lord OP I just noticed that you said you are not from a wealthy background and that you would consider selling your property to help cover the cost of UVA. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER something like that. I don't think you understand how bad things really are right now in the legal community. The legal field is changing and much of the information that this website bases its assessments on is out of date.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri May 10, 2013 12:19 pm

syd625 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:UVA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UCLA > bama

That's been my thought process so far. But I have to say I'm kind of shocked you put UCLA over Bama. :lol:

It's Alabama. No Californian (Even Dre.) would choose to live in Alabama for three years.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri May 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Dear OP, brucewayne is the reason I decided not to go to uva at sticker. (thanks, batman.)

sincerely,
170 scorer studying for retake.

P.S. There are 10 possible scores higher than the score that we earned. The lower t14 does give money to splitters. There are a number of people going to uva at sticker, who just don't want to take the LSAT again. My opinion? If you can score 170 without studying each section thoroughly, then you can score even higher. Maybe I'm full of it, though. Some non-TLSers think that I'm making a huge mistake not going to uva.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 10, 2013 12:51 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Signed,

Oh God, no

Lol we really need to find a way to ban 0Ls from discussing employment issues. Also, you might want to pick a user who agrees with the majority of my posts when making an alt accusation.

Anyway OP going to UVA law at sticker is downright irresponsible ITE. If you want more details as to why I'm happy to explain. But for starters about 20% of our class ends up on the school's "fellowship". That's not something you take out 200K+ in non-dischargeable debt for.

Good Lord OP I just noticed that you said you are not from a wealthy background and that you would consider selling your property to help cover the cost of UVA. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER something like that. I don't think you understand how bad things really are right now in the legal community. The legal field is changing and much of the information that this website bases its assessments on is out of date.

Dude, he has a fallback. It will break his heart but it won't send him to debtors prison so he will be ok. If he BruceWaynes law school he will still be solvent. If he really, really wants to go to law school and be a lawyer and he puts that above his property then UVA is his best option. Would I do it? No. But if he really wants to then he will be ok in the worse case scenario.

Look Bruce, I honestly don't mind trolls. But if you're going to have a schtick, at least make it funny. Or interesting. Just bring something to the table rather than the same old stale garbage. Dr. Dre is an example of a prolific troll who occasionally will drop a funny one-liner or insert an amusing GIF. If you insist on trolling, do a little research on what a good troll looks like and try to make your posts worthwhile to read.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri May 10, 2013 12:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Signed,

Oh God, no

Dude, he has a fallback. It will break his heart but it won't send him to debtors prison so he will be ok. If he BruceWaynes law school he will still be solvent. If he really, really wants to go to law school and be a lawyer and he puts that above his property then UVA is his best option. Would I do it? No. But if he really wants to then he will be ok in the worse case scenario.

Look Bruce, I honestly don't mind trolls. But if you're going to have a schtick, at least make it funny. Or interesting. Just bring something to the table rather than the same old stale garbage. Dr. Dre is an example of a prolific troll who occasionally will drop a funny one-liner or insert an amusing GIF. If you insist on trolling, do a little research on what a good troll looks like and try to make your posts worthwhile to read.

This kind of poster is truly scary. You literally have NO idea what you are talking about. But you are running around giving out the kind of employment advice that you would have to at least be entering 3L to comprehend. What the hell is wrong with you ? I mean seriously what I'm telling him isn't even controversial. At this point anyone who has gone through the legal hiring process knows how bad it is and that UVA really doesn't provide a good shot at a biglaw job. And "dude he has fallback". Are you stupid? Do you even know how educational debt works?

OP there's nothing wrong with going to UVA law. The problem is going there at STICKER--especially for someone who is not from a wealthy background. It's absurd.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 10, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm about as conservative as it comes on this site. And I'm not giving him OCI tips. Just because I don't know what a tort is doesn't mean I can't comprehend statistics or weigh risk/reward.

If you're real then I'm sorry law school didn't work out for you. If you're a troll, then troll better.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:I'm about as conservative as it comes on this site. And I'm not giving him OCI tips. Just because I don't know what a tort is doesn't mean I can't comprehend statistics or weigh risk/reward.

If you're real then I'm sorry law school didn't work out for you. If you're a troll, then troll better.

What year in law school are you? By the tort comment I would assume you aren't even in school. But I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you wouldn't give out this kind of advice if you weren't actually a law student. The 0L comment was a bit tongue in cheek--I don't think you're so stupid as to be giving out the kind of advice that you are without actually having some basis for it.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 10, 2013 1:21 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Signed,

Oh God, no

This kind of poster is truly scary. You literally have NO idea what you are talking about. But you are running around giving out the kind of employment advice that you would have to at least be entering 3L to comprehend. What the hell is wrong with you ? I mean seriously what I'm telling him isn't even controversial. At this point anyone who has gone through the legal hiring process knows how bad it is and that UVA really doesn't provide a good shot at a biglaw job. And "dude he has fallback". Are you stupid? Do you even know how educational debt works?

I'll admit I didn't visit or apply to UVA, but every 3L and most 2L's who I met at CLS, including those not associated with asw, had a legal job in what they wanted to pursue or close to it (obviously some people were unhappy with law school but they were definitely employed). Believe me I did EVERYTHING I could to get a sense of what law school and the employment options were actually like beyond the numbers and TLS before making an investment in the next 3 years of my life and depositing. I don't think UVA is that different from CLS, or NYU, or Cal, or UChi, or Stanford, or any of the schools I've visited/considered. I totally agree that outside of the T12 there's a decent to strong likelihood you could end up unemployed or underemployed, but you BruceWayne must have a very particular case or have fucked up in a major way. We might be 0L's but we've done our homework and we know what we are getting in to.

I wouldn't attend UVA at sticker but I'd do that sooner than UCLA @ $150,000. This is the OP's situation..

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I'm about as conservative as it comes on this site. And I'm not giving him OCI tips. Just because I don't know what a tort is doesn't mean I can't comprehend statistics or weigh risk/reward.

What year in law school are you? By the tort comment I would assume you aren't even in school. But I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you wouldn't give out this kind of advice if you weren't actually a law student. The 0L comment was a bit tongue in cheek--I don't think you're so stupid as to be giving out the kind of advice that you are without actually having some basis for it.

I'm a 0L. But I do actually know what a tort is. It's a type of dessert. I'm not stupid.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”