Top 20 at sticker v. Top 50 for free

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Top 50 for free v. Top 20 at sticker

Top 50 $$$ (Hastings or Davis)
39%
Top 20 no $ (NYU or USC) -- if I'm accepted off WL
61%

Total votes: 31

jbagelboy

Re: Top 20 at sticker v. Top 50 for free

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 09, 2013 12:02 am

Mr. Jones wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
Mr. Jones wrote:A lot of people here will tell you to retake. I say don't retake and just go for free. I am graduating in a week and I couldn't imagine having waited another year.

Are you employed?

Yes (JAG), if I waited a year I would not be employed, I would still be in school.

OP, if you're "itching" to go back to school, don't waste a year of your life waiting to be a lawyer. Just go to law school and get it over with. If, however, you are still unsure if you want to be a lawyer then retake and reapply. Don't get me wrong law school is plenty of fun, but three years + bar study is a long time to train for your profession. Might as well start sooner and get your career sooner, rather than wallowing about for a year.

So bad it could be troll. Account opened Oct 2012? IDK.

rmp

Postby rmp » Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm employed now, but won't be for long. This waiver has an income cap and I've been working full time for all of 2013. That means if I retake with the intention of getting into Berk/UCLA, I can't work at all for the rest of this year (I hit my cap in two weeks). The benefit of retaking is if I do score significantly higher, I may be eligible for aid/higher scholarships at other t14 schools. If I don't score much higher, I'm back at square 1 with no job for the remainder of 2013.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 09, 2013 3:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:Retake.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu May 09, 2013 4:16 pm

I probably wouldn't take NYU at sticker, but it's the only one that should be considered at sticker. USC isn't in the same category.

rmp

Postby rmp » Thu May 09, 2013 5:15 pm

seriously considering a retake now.. but the income thing is also a problem. if i choose to retake aiming for berk/la so i can utilize this waiver, i cannot work for the remainder of the year, so i'll be stuck at home w/ mom and pop. thoughts on a year at a UC then transferring to a t14? this would save the first year's tuition/col..

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:17 pm

rmp wrote:seriously considering a retake now.. but the income thing is also a problem. if i choose to retake aiming for berk/la so i can utilize this waiver, i cannot work for the remainder of the year, so i'll be stuck at home w/ mom and pop. thoughts on a year at a UC then transferring to a t14? this would save the first year's tuition/col..

Transferring is extremely difficult and you should not in any way assume that you will be able to do it. Improving your LSAT is far, far easier than being one of the maybe 5-10 people in your class who even have a chance at being able to transfer. Get a job, live with your parents--I know it sucks, trust me--but that is a vastly better choice than what you've got now.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu May 09, 2013 5:40 pm

nickb285 wrote:
rmp wrote:seriously considering a retake now.. but the income thing is also a problem. if i choose to retake aiming for berk/la so i can utilize this waiver, i cannot work for the remainder of the year, so i'll be stuck at home w/ mom and pop. thoughts on a year at a UC then transferring to a t14? this would save the first year's tuition/col..

Transferring is extremely difficult and you should not in any way assume that you will be able to do it. Improving your LSAT is far, far easier than being one of the maybe 5-10 people in your class who even have a chance at being able to transfer. Get a job, live with your parents--I know it sucks, trust me--but that is a vastly better choice than what you've got now.

Absolutely this. If I were in your situation I'd even be willing to work at Starbucks or something for the MASSIVE benefits you would get from retaking. You just have to sacrifice comfort in the short term for vastly more attractive options in the long run. A few more points could be worth hundreds of thousands over the course of your life.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”