UW vs. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
redtalun

UW vs. Cardozo

Postby redtalun » Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 am

Last edited by redtalun on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Winston1984

Re: UW vs. Cardozo

Postby Winston1984 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 am

Answer all of these questions, so people can give you advice.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

redtalun

Postby redtalun » Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 am

think I covered them all now

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed May 08, 2013 1:57 am

Retake or don't go (especially since you've only take it once). You could hit the 170s and try for NU.

USNWR specialty rankings are a flame. Neither Cardozo nor UW have particularly good employment prospects, and you should NOT be taking out that much in loan $$ for them.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:00 am

Bronck wrote:Retake or don't go (especially since you've only take it once). You could hit the 170s and try for NU.

USNWR specialty rankings are a flame. Neither Cardozo nor UW have particularly good employment prospects, and you should NOT be taking out that much in loan $$ for them.

This. It sucks what happened to you your sophomore year because that really killed your gpa. NU is splitter friendly and a good addendum should work in your case. Oh, and I hope you are healthy and well now!

redtalun

Postby redtalun » Wed May 08, 2013 2:06 am

Bronck wrote:Retake or don't go (especially since you've only take it once). You could hit the 170s and try for NU.

Is UW really that bad? My impression was that it's highly regarded in the PNW seeing as there's practically no other law schools worth mentioning.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 am

redtalun wrote:

Is UW really that bad? My impression was that it's highly regarded in the PNW seeing as there's practically no other law schools worth mentioning.

It's certainly the best law school in the PNW but there are very few legal jobs in the PNW. Check out the LST stats. 1/3 of students don't even get a legal job, and only 10% get a job that can reasonably pay off the kind of debt you're looking at.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 am

UW is not bad if you aren't looking for biglaw, but that CoA is much too high and you cannot count on it being portable to the east coast.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 am

It is a great option for in-state students with a nice scholarship who don't have biglaw aspirations. I wouldn't attend unless your COA was cut in half.

Kalinda

Postby Kalinda » Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 am

Bronck wrote:
redtalun wrote:

It's certainly the best law school in the PNW but there are very few legal jobs in the PNW. Check out the LST stats. 1/3 of students don't even get a legal job, and only 10% get a job that can reasonably pay off the kind of debt you're looking at.

Exactly. UW is the best in the PNW, but people are competing with T14 natives who want to work in their home area. It would be a hard degree to transfer to the East coast. What type of work do you do? Do you work for Boeing? I believe they used to have one of the tuition reimbursement programs in the country, but did scale back a bit. Is your current job able to help finance school?

Definitely take the LSAT again, with a high score and a great addendum, NU isn't unrealistic.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed May 08, 2013 2:18 am

150k is pushing it even at a top 14 law school, IMO. Don't go and please retake.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 08, 2013 2:59 am

Considering the job prospects I wouldn't blow $140k of savings on those

See lawschooltransparency.com

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 am

Only go to UW if you want to practice in the pacific northwest. But caution, plenty of Berkeley grads to compete with in Seattle too. Im curious if U Minnesota has any reach out there since theres basically nothing inbetween them... (Not saying they would I honestly dont know)

Im assuming its your parents savings going into COA. I dont know why people have been talking about loans and debt, my understanding is you will have none. Considering the limits of your GPA, going to UW and working locally with no debt doesnt seem too bad.. Seattle is really nice. If you retake and kill it, you COULD yield a T14 WL-> acceptance, but I still think its unlikely (even for NU 3.0 is basically the lowest floor). T20 definitely though but then your not far from UW anyway.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 08, 2013 4:20 am

jbagelboy wrote: But caution, plenty of Berkeley grads

what is it with your obsession over Berkeley Law? You're going to the WAY better school—Columbia. Get over Cal.

redtalun

Postby redtalun » Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Only go to UW if you want to practice in the pacific northwest. But caution, plenty of Berkeley grads to compete with in Seattle too. Im curious if U Minnesota has any reach out there since theres basically nothing inbetween them... (Not saying they would I honestly dont know)

Im assuming its your parents savings going into COA. I dont know why people have been talking about loans and debt, my understanding is you will have none. Considering the limits of your GPA, going to UW and working locally with no debt doesnt seem too bad.. Seattle is really nice. If you retake and kill it, you COULD yield a T14 WL-> acceptance, but I still think its unlikely (even for NU 3.0 is basically the lowest floor). T20 definitely though but then your not far from UW anyway.

No, it would be my savings :( I'd graduate debt free, but will have exhausted the savings I've accumulated from working 5+ years as a software engineer.
I tend to believe that it's my GPA more than my LSAT that's hurting me. I even considered at one point to first get a MS EE degree (have BS already) before applying with the sole purpose of inflating my GPA (I'd re-take the LSATs as well). I dismissed this idea, because I felt I would be wasting 2 years of my life just to manicure my resume.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 pm

They only count your undergraduate courses for GPA. I have a slightly worse GPA than you, but I have much better offers. It's your LSAT score holding you back.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Too expensive. Retake and reapply, or don't to go law school

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Fri May 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Retake, even with that GPA breaking 170 will get you into better schools and significantly more money at Cardozo.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 pm

You're better off taking your $140k savings to Vegas and betting it all on red or black. I strongly suggest you retake and shoot for more $$$.

trapster

Postby trapster » Fri May 10, 2013 7:47 pm

redtalun wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Only go to UW if you want to practice in the pacific northwest. But caution, plenty of Berkeley grads to compete with in Seattle too. Im curious if U Minnesota has any reach out there since theres basically nothing inbetween them... (Not saying they would I honestly dont know)

No, it would be my savings :( I'd graduate debt free, but will have exhausted the savings I've accumulated from working 5+ years as a software engineer.
I tend to believe that it's my GPA more than my LSAT that's hurting me. I even considered at one point to first get a MS EE degree (have BS already) before applying with the sole purpose of inflating my GPA (I'd re-take the LSATs as well). I dismissed this idea, because I felt I would be wasting 2 years of my life just to manicure my resume.

Don't gamble 5+ years of work experience and savings on these options. Yeah, your gpa isn't going to help you, but you can help yourself by retaking.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 pm

redtalun wrote:

Your GPA is set, graduate classes don't change your LSAC GPA. However getting over 170 on your LSAT would give you a huge boost as I noted in my first response. If your WE is good Northwestern is in play, ED at UVA is an option, WUSTL, GW, a lot more doors will open, and even the places you are in now will offer more money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”