Your Opinion on Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavtrpr

Re: Your Opinion on Law Schools

Postby cavtrpr » Mon May 27, 2013 12:52 am

elterrible78 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
cavtrpr wrote:5 for 23 in games, 22 for 26 on reasoning 1, 23 for 27 on reading comp, 22 for 25 on reasoning 2.

On my first, cold PT I was 14/24 games, 42/50 LR overall, and 27/27 on reading comp, which turned out to be a 166. And, looking back, games should have been worse (I randomly guessed "C" as time ran out on the last five questions, and it turned out that 3 of them actually were C, which is ridiculous luck). I got the Power Score Logic Games Bible, spent about ten days with it before doing another test, nailed a 175 on it, and never really looked back. I think you have plenty of time to get to being able to break 170 by the June test, and if you can do that, you'll have some good options.

Can't stress this advice enough. Get a powerscore logic games bible and see what happens.
I also went from basically guessing on my first few tests in LG to rarely missing even 1 question in a matter of hours. It's ridiculous.

Once you get your score, maybe EDing UVA with a 170+ will be your best bet. It's very hard to give advice for specific schools for you because not only do you not have an LSAT, you don't even have a range.

Although applying late hurts, can he not still ED UVA here with a 170? Which, with the COL plus full tuition covered, would be quite cheap.
Also, does applying later hurt splitters as much? From what I've seen, their cycles always start very late anyways.

The advantage to applying early, regardless of ED, for splitters at UVA is almost four times as big as the advantage for non-splitters, but the ED advantage is quite a bit bigger for splitters than non-splitters. I would say ED to UVA as early as possible, in the OP's situation. There's not a statistically significant difference in scholarship award for EDers and, anyway, Post-9/11 and Yellow Ribbon will have him largely covered.

What exactly constitutes "early decision." When do admissions boards start looking at packets? Would it be a completed admissions packet by August? November? I'm only wondering because after a lot of d-riding on some wigs in my squadron, I was released for only that Saturday to take the October LSAT. Because I don't have any sentimental connection to any particular institution, early decision sounds very appealing to me. I realize its usually the opposite, one would ED for the school they have their heart set on, but in my position, I'm willing to do many things to edge my chances...bad things.

Dirty things...

JK.

elterrible78

Re: Your Opinion on Law Schools

Postby elterrible78 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:45 am

cavtrpr wrote:
What exactly constitutes "early decision." When do admissions boards start looking at packets? Would it be a completed admissions packet by August? November? I'm only wondering because after a lot of d-riding on some wigs in my squadron, I was released for only that Saturday to take the October LSAT. Because I don't have any sentimental connection to any particular institution, early decision sounds very appealing to me. I realize its usually the opposite, one would ED for the school they have their heart set on, but in my position, I'm willing to do many things to edge my chances...bad things.

Dirty things...

JK.

ED is usually binding, which means if you get in on an ED application, you're obligated to go to that school. EDing shows a strong commitment, and the conventional wisdom says that EDing will give you a better shot than your numbers alone would dictate. ON the flip side, since that school then has you by the short-and-curlies, the conventional wisdom says that they're no longer going to try to woo you with money, which in your case isn't going to be a huge concern. The accuracy of this conventional wisdom, however, is very school and circumstance dependent. Some schools also tend to give you a big boost simply for applying earlier. In general, though, as long as you have your application in by late fall or so, I think, you're not going to "hurt" your chances. Best bet for you is to have everything squared away by the time you get your October LSAT score back.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”