UMN 84k or GWU at sticker or close to it

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BitterSplitter

UMN 84k or GWU at sticker or close to it

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon May 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

NoodleyOne

Re: UMN 84k or GWU at sticker or close to it

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon May 06, 2013 6:25 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:Not retaking. Not reapplying.

Don't wanna live or work in Minn if I can help it. NY LA DC SF are the four major markets I'm interested in. Boston also. Big law or bust more or less. High interest in politics but no concrete plans for it. M&A is the end goal right now. Please advise with reasoning.

Oh, you want Biglaw not in Minnesota? Neither of these options are good for that.

You should retake.

Edit: Just saw your stats... Honestly, your only chance at T14 is a retake for NU, but even that isn't a lock. Your goals are going to be hard to reach. That price isn't bad for Minnesota, I guess... what would the COA be?

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon May 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon May 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm

GWU gives you a better chance at your goals from graduation but it would be financial suicide to take that option.

Go to UMN, gun for MN biglaw, and attempt to lateral out of MN after a few years.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon May 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Both of these are absolutely horrible options.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=minnesota

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw

Okay, when you factor school-funded out of GW, their employment outcomes are pretty much the same, but GW has a better chance at Biglaw. Still, we're talking only a 2 in 3 chance at being a lawyer at either (assuming GW's school-funded is of the scam variety... admittedly very conservative outlook).

I don't like either of these options. Is taking a few years off and getting some WE an option? That could give you time for a retake, distance yourself from your GPA, and give you a better shot at the T14 (especially NU). Your GPA is really going to hold you back.

Edit: Another option would be to ask Minny if they'll defer you for a year, find out how to get residency, move there and get said residency, then enjoy dat in-state tuition and nearly a free ride.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon May 06, 2013 6:53 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=minnesota

Okay, when you factor school-funded out of GW, their employment outcomes are pretty much the same, but GW has a better chance at Biglaw. Still, we're talking only a 2 in 3 chance at being a lawyer at either (assuming GW's school-funded is of the scam variety... admittedly very conservative outlook).

I don't like either of these options. Is taking a few years off and getting some WE an option? That could give you time for a retake, distance yourself from your GPA, and give you a better shot at the T14 (especially NU). Your GPA is really going to hold you back.

Edit: Another option would be to ask Minny if they'll defer you for a year, find out how to get residency, move there and get said residency, then enjoy dat in-state tuition and nearly a free ride.

Don't go there and call it that or someone might punch you

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 6:56 pm

I read somewhere you posted that you were making ~$60K at a firm right now. so sticking with that might be best.

The 84K at UMN is a good outcome for your stats. Doesn't make it a good option for your goals, but oh well that's the situation you're in. Minnesota is a better school than GW IMO. They can actually get you a legal job (albeit not a biglaw one) in the twin cities if you try. I would take sinf's advice and go to minnesota, try to establish residency (although without ties this won't come into play until 3L if at all), suck up the shitty winters and fight to graduate top quarter of your class, work at Dorsey then lateral out to Chicago when you get the chance.

The road to your goals won't be clear either way, so if you want to practice biglaw you're going to have to deal with the insecurity of probably not getting it and use that energy to motivate you to do better than everyone else. I don't know what else to say, there's no guarantee of success for you here but you knew that when you tanked your undergrad GPA.

Minneapolis is actually a nice city and at minimum you will have a decent QoL for a few years as a law student. just get a motherfuckin winter coat cause IT BE FREEZING LIKE A BITCH

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Sorry to hear that GW finally turned you down for aid bittersplitter. Any luck with grants though? Or is that your "or close to sticker" remark? Either way UMN at that price is better than GW at sticker. Gl bro.

Kalinda

Postby Kalinda » Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I read somewhere you posted that you were making ~$60K at a firm right now. so sticking with that might be best.

The 84K at UMN is a good outcome for your stats. Doesn't make it a good option for your goals, but oh well that's the situation you're in. Minnesota is a better school than GW IMO. They can actually get you a legal job (albeit not a biglaw one) in the twin cities if you try. I would take sinf's advice and go to minnesota, try to establish residency (although without ties this won't come into play until 3L if at all), suck up the shitty winters and fight to graduate top quarter of your class, work at Dorsey then lateral out to Chicago when you get the chance.

The road to your goals won't be clear either way, so if you want to practice biglaw you're going to have to deal with the insecurity of probably not getting it and use that energy to motivate you to do better than everyone else. I don't know what else to say, there's no guarantee of success for you here but you knew that when you tanked your undergrad GPA.

Minneapolis is actually a nice city and at minimum you will have a decent QoL for a few years as a law student. just get a motherfuckin winter coat cause IT BE FREEZING LIKE A BITCH

Minneapolis is a great city, and is definitely underrated. Some people have suggested moving to Minnesota to establish residency and get a job for a year, is that a possibility for you? If yes, then go for it.

Dorsey is a big firm in Minneapolis that UMN students gun for, but also Minnesota natives who attend school in different states (T14). Doing well enough to get Dorsey and then lateral to Chicago is DIFFICULT. You would have to be at least top 15% of your UMN class (maybe lower if you have great WE). All of that sounds like a really big gamble. GW is also a gamble, but if you are COMPLETELY opposed to being in the Twin Cities for work, I don't know how much UMN can do for you unless you have connections elsewhere. I know GW at sticker is an immediate NO on this forum, but I can't recommend UMN knowing you are against living in MN in the long term, because the degree is not portable to SF/NYC/DC/CHI unless you have some real connections.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Don't go to UMN if you don't want to work in Minnesota. Also don't go to UMN if you want Biglaw (they only place ~10%)
Don't go to GW at sticker or close to it. It's financial suicide, and you're only marginally more likely to get Biglaw (~25%)

You should either redefine your goals, suck it up and retake in 2014, or stick with your current job (the last option gets my vote).

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Don't wanna live or work in Minn if I can help it. NY LA DC SF are the four major markets I'm interested in. Boston also. Big law or bust more or less. High interest in politics but no concrete plans for it. M&A is the end goal right now. Please advise.

(actual retard)

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Don't wanna live or work in Minn if I can help it. NY LA DC SF are the four major markets I'm interested in. Boston also. Big law or bust more or less. High interest in politics but no concrete plans for it. M&A is the end goal right now. Please advise.

neither

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 pm

You need to seriously readjust your career goals and apply to some lower ranked places for near to a full ride. The bigcity biglaw boat has sailed. Sorry.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon May 06, 2013 11:46 pm

You are an idiot.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Mon May 06, 2013 11:48 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=minnesota

How does one distance themself from their gpa?

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue May 07, 2013 3:09 am

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 am

rad lulz wrote:don't go to law school

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 am

Dr. Dre wrote:

Basically this. Or, go to a lesser ranked school on a full ride and gun for small law. I just don't see your goals happening with that gpa. But that's ok, if you really have a 60K job right now you're in good shape, ride that thing into the ground.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue May 07, 2013 9:10 am

timbs4339 wrote:You need to seriously readjust your career goals and apply to some lower ranked places for near to a full ride. The bigcity biglaw boat has sailed. Sorry.

Yes. Your goals are incredibly unrealistic for either school. Not going is always an option.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Kalinda wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I read somewhere you posted that you were making ~$60K at a firm right now. so sticking with that might be best.

Minneapolis is a great city, and is definitely underrated. Some people have suggested moving to Minnesota to establish residency and get a job for a year, is that a possibility for you? If yes, then go for it.

Dorsey is a big firm in Minneapolis that UMN students gun for, but also Minnesota natives who attend school in different states (T14). Doing well enough to get Dorsey and then lateral to Chicago is DIFFICULT. You would have to be at least top 15% of your UMN class (maybe lower if you have great WE). All of that sounds like a really big gamble. GW is also a gamble, but if you are COMPLETELY opposed to being in the Twin Cities for work, I don't know how much UMN can do for you unless you have connections elsewhere. I know GW at sticker is an immediate NO on this forum, but I can't recommend UMN knowing you are against living in MN in the long term, because the degree is not portable to SF/NYC/DC/CHI unless you have some real connections.

Yea I think we're saying the same thing. Per the bolded I'm giving OP a ~15% chance of achieving his goals going to UMN, but only a 20-25% chance of catastrophic failure. On the other hand, GWU presents maybe 20% chance of achieving his goals but with a nearly 65% chance of said failure.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue May 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:

This. Or retake.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Kalinda wrote:

Just as a random aside, almost everyone I know who knows anything about the Minnesota legal market has negative things to say about Dorsey.

But seriously, don't go to the U MN if you have no desire to practice in Minnesota.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”