Columbia vs. NYU vs. Penn Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia vs Penn vs NYU

Penn COA - $148,948
39%
NYU COA - 153,102
16%
Columbia COA - 161,986
46%

Total votes: 114

SportsFan

Silver

Re: Columbia vs. NYU vs. Penn

Post by SportsFan » Wed May 08, 2013 10:34 am

Bronck wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Bronck wrote:^

I mean, the conservative estimate (intentional high-end estimation for class size and participants) for CLS EIP is that 27% of participants accepted offers with V10 firms, so I'd say it's a pretty healthy amount.
I can PM you more tomorrow if you're curious, but from the very limited information I have, I think it's around 15-20% going to the V10 from Penn. So probably around a 10% difference, which is offset because of the amount of people we place in Philly biglaw.
Cool, I'd actually be interested in seeing what stats you have.
Just PM'd ya.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Wed May 08, 2013 3:07 pm

For anyone wondering, it seems theres about a 9% V10 placement difference between Penn and Columbia (27% vs. ~18%). Makes sense to me. As I mentioned in a PM to Bronck, it could also be said that only about half of Penn's class goes to NYC and DC (where the V10 are clustered) while its more like 3/4 of Columbia's class thats in NYC and DC, so maybe self-selection also plays a small part in this difference. But I think we've basically confirmed that the supposed V10 placement advantage of Columbia (and NYU, and maybe Chicago too?) is real, but (IMO) not enormous, and not really a reason to pick 1 school over the other.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Wed May 08, 2013 3:10 pm

SportsFan wrote:For anyone wondering, it seems theres about a 9% V10 placement difference between Penn and Columbia (27% vs. ~18%). Makes sense to me. As I mentioned in a PM to Bronck, it could also be said that only about half of Penn's class goes to NYC and DC (where the V10 are clustered) while its more like 3/4 of Columbia's class thats in NYC and DC, so maybe self-selection also plays a small part in this difference. But I think we've basically confirmed that the supposed V10 placement advantage of Columbia (and NYU, and maybe Chicago too?) is real, but (IMO) not enormous, and not really a reason to pick 1 school over the other.
18/27 = 66%? CLS places 66% more EIP participants into the V10, right? Am I crazy?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed May 08, 2013 3:17 pm

That is a big plus for Penn (for some). Going through v5 associates law schools didn't paint that picture but I'll be the first to admit I was very lazy about it. Also, this analysis had me thinking otherwise.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... t#p6626613

I wish this data was available to the masses.

izha

New

Post by izha » Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 pm

KingFish wrote:
SportsFan wrote:For anyone wondering, it seems theres about a 9% V10 placement difference between Penn and Columbia (27% vs. ~18%). Makes sense to me. As I mentioned in a PM to Bronck, it could also be said that only about half of Penn's class goes to NYC and DC (where the V10 are clustered) while its more like 3/4 of Columbia's class thats in NYC and DC, so maybe self-selection also plays a small part in this difference. But I think we've basically confirmed that the supposed V10 placement advantage of Columbia (and NYU, and maybe Chicago too?) is real, but (IMO) not enormous, and not really a reason to pick 1 school over the other.
18/27 = 66%? CLS places 66% more EIP participants into the V10, right? Am I crazy?
Probably you are just very bad at math.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm

KingFish wrote:
No dude you're doing it all wrong, it's 27-18 / 18 = 50%. CLS places 50% more. Duh.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
KingFish wrote:
No dude you're doing it all wrong, it's 27-18 / 18 = 50%. CLS places 50% more. Duh.
yes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”