Florida

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Does UF give me any advantage over UM at the same price

No.
29%
Yes.
61%
Go to BC.
10%

Total votes: 31

sflyr2016

Re: Florida

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:23 pm

BigZuck wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't pay that much for either. Maybe $75k debt total

There goes rad being his overly optimistic self yet again.

I think 60K should be about the max for either school. Job placement is too poor and the chance of wasting three years of your life is too high to gamble much more than that IMO.

And of these two, I would definitely choose UF.

Thank you man, I really do appreciate the input.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue May 07, 2013 6:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:

I think 60K should be about the max for either school. Job placement is too poor and the chance of wasting three years of your life is too high to gamble much more than that IMO.

CLOSE THE SCHOOLS. I will pray for the next TTT thread that rad sees.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:26 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Huh? Neither of these schools are third tier.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm

joeant wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Huh? Neither of these schools are third tier.

I meant in general.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 am

The days of UF being the clearcut top law school in Florida are over, people who continue to say so are a few years out of date. FSU is strongest in the north and has the best employment numbers (boosted by Gov't jobs in Tallahassee). UF has the most portability of the three schools, but their Employment Score actually dropped below Miami's and FSU's this year. However, they still have the top BigLaw score in the state. Although Miami's score is inflated by school funded jobs (PI placements), it still places quite a few more students in real legal jobs than any other school in the state (it has VERY large classes). As such, a top 10% finish at UF might grant you a BigLaw spot in Miami, but any other kind of rank will make it very difficult to make your way down to Miami. The schools are 5 hours apart (Gainesville is as close to Atlanta as it is to Miami..). UMiami is the best option if you want to practice law in Miami, outside a T20 (Vandy, Duke, Havard, Yale, etc).
Miami's employment numbers aren't fantastic, if you're aren't top half then you need to drop out, not just because you'll lose your scholarship, but without connections you don't stand a viable chance of landing a job. In general, Florida is a tough market, but one that is improving. I know there are a few people on TLS who like to say that law school is vocational school and not vacation school, but don't go to BC if you want to live in Florida. Give up your career before you give up your home.

In conclusion, if you want to be a lawyer in Miami:
1. Go to Vandy/Harvard/etc and fight your way back south
2. Go to Miami and finish in the top 1/3 of your class
3. Go to UF and finish in the top 10% of your class

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 am

Aroldis105 wrote:The days of UF being the clearcut top law school in Florida are over, people who continue to say so are a few years out of date. FSU is strongest in the north and has the best employment numbers (boosted by Gov't jobs in Tallahassee). UF has the most portability of the three schools, but their Employment Score actually dropped below Miami's and FSU's this year. However, they still have the top BigLaw score in the state. Although Miami's score is inflated by school funded jobs (PI placements), it still places quite a few more students in real legal jobs than any other school in the state (it has VERY large classes). As such, a top 10% finish at UF might grant you a BigLaw spot in Miami, but any other kind of rank will make it very difficult to make your way down to Miami. The schools are 5 hours apart (Gainesville is as close to Atlanta as it is to Miami..). UMiami is the best option if you want to practice law in Miami, outside a T20 (Vandy, Duke, Havard, Yale, etc).
Miami's employment numbers aren't fantastic, if you're aren't top half then you need to drop out, not just because you'll lose your scholarship, but without connections you don't stand a viable chance of landing a job. In general, Florida is a tough market, but one that is improving. I know there are a few people on TLS who like to say that law school is vocational school and not vacation school, but don't go to BC if you want to live in Florida. Give up your career before you give up your home.

I'd switch the percentages (and ranking) of 2 and 3 here. top 15% at UF and you can actually get a job at a large firm paying market wage. Top 15% at Miami and you could still get fucked.

the numbers disagree with your assessment in the bolded

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 am

Aroldis105 wrote:The days of UF being the clearcut top law school in Florida are over, people who continue to say so are a few years out of date. FSU is strongest in the north and has the best employment numbers (boosted by Gov't jobs in Tallahassee). UF has the most portability of the three schools, but their Employment Score actually dropped below Miami's and FSU's this year. However, they still have the top BigLaw score in the state. Although Miami's score is inflated by school funded jobs (PI placements), it still places quite a few more students in real legal jobs than any other school in the state (it has VERY large classes). As such, a top 10% finish at UF might grant you a BigLaw spot in Miami, but any other kind of rank will make it very difficult to make your way down to Miami. The schools are 5 hours apart (Gainesville is as close to Atlanta as it is to Miami..). UMiami is the best option if you want to practice law in Miami, outside a T20 (Vandy, Duke, Havard, Yale, etc).

Where are you getting your statistics? I also like how you lumped Vandy and Harvard together..

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 am

Winston1984 wrote:

Where are you getting your statistics? I also like how you lumped Vandy and Harvard together..

Everything I cited comes straight from LST's most recent reports with some of the conjectures based on tours of both schools and research into the big firms' feeder schools. I only grouped Vandy and Harvard together because they are equivalent in every way shape and form...But in all seriousness, from what I understand, Vandy seems to be the best non T14 as far as breaking into the Miami market.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:15 am

Aroldis105 wrote:
Everything I cited comes straight from LST's most recent reports with some of the conjectures based on tours of both schools and research into the big firms' feeder schools. I only grouped Vandy and Harvard together because they are equivalent in every way shape and form...But in all seriousness, from what I understand, Vandy seems to be the best non T14 as far as breaking into the Miami market.

Seems like its mostly conjecture and not a whole lot of LST. LST doesn't give cities, so that was all speculation on your part, and based off a pretty poor sample size to be useful based on what you said. As jb said, top 15% about gets biglaw from UF, while Miami (and FSU) it's like 7%. As for Vandy, I too have the impression it's the best non-T14 for Florida, but that's contingent on one being from Florida and putting in a lot of legwork to get in contact with firms there, as there isn't a big Florida presence at OCI. That said, I'm pretty sure a Harvard student doing the same thing will have an easier time doing the same.

slider

Postby slider » Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 am

Aroldis105 wrote:

I agree with this. Vandy holds a lot of weight in Florida.

UMiami seems to have volatile employment outcomes. The Miami market is only so big so you either land biglaw or you are waiting tables. There are few opportunities in between though they do exist. UF seems to have a better outcome outside of the very top of the class. I do think UMiami will give you better networking opportunities if you want to work in South Florida.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 am

Thank you guys for all of your input. It's helped me shape a realistic expectation of what these options will allow. I definitely thank the tls community, for however cynical/pessimistic and sarcastic they may be, they are also very informed, logical, and honest. Thank lord I cancelled out BC (great school! not against BC, definitely a great option, but not at that price and knowing I will have no family help and not for Florida). I also better understand the limits of a UofM degree even at an 80% discount and the benefits UF will give me over it, while it still being very limited as well.

In all, I'm probably going to UF, re-taking, and if I increase my score I will sit out for the next cycle. If not, I am happy going to the top school in the state and one that will not close any doors, but not open them either, It will simply give a respected JD at a reasonable price and allow me an opportunity to reap what I sow.

Thanks again!
Joe

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am

Sow: 6 figure debt
Reap: 55% shot at legal job

C'mon man, don't even think about going until you retake

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Wed May 08, 2013 1:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:Sow: 6 figure debt

See! I told you he'd be back.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:14 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Sow: 6 figure debt

See! I told you he'd be back.

Lol, yup.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:46 pm

untar614 wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:

Seems like its mostly conjecture and not a whole lot of LST. LST doesn't give cities, so that was all speculation on your part, and based off a pretty poor sample size to be useful based on what you said. As jb said, top 15% about gets biglaw from UF, while Miami (and FSU) it's like 7%. As for Vandy, I too have the impression it's the best non-T14 for Florida, but that's contingent on one being from Florida and putting in a lot of legwork to get in contact with firms there, as there isn't a big Florida presence at OCI. That said, I'm pretty sure a Harvard student doing the same thing will have an easier time doing the same.

Well if 15% get big law from UF it is safe to assume that MAYBE half of that is in Miami, the rest being in Tallahassee, Tampa, or out of state. Furthermore, it's not likely a to snag a mid to small size firm job in a city 5 hours away, hence my 10-15% figure. My statements were regarding the possibility of working in Miami, like OP asked. UMiami is definitely not a sure bet for employment, far from it, but they are the top school in the Miami area where OP wants/wanted to work. My post was only mean't to provide some relevant advice to OP not to knock LST out of business. If anyone has any experience to the contrary, by all means I'd be happy to hear it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Right...which was my point, you go to UMiami if you want to work in Miami and no where else (but no guarantees of a job after). You go to UF if you want to work anywhere in Florida and FSU for northern Florida/Govt work.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”