Florida

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Does UF give me any advantage over UM at the same price

No.
29%
Yes.
61%
Go to BC.
10%

Total votes: 31

sflyr2016

Florida

Postby sflyr2016 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Hey guys,

I've been asking for a lot of input this cycle, but I am glad I did since I have taken [some of] the advice. I decided against BC. It is too far, too cold, and too expensive, unless of course I intend to practice in Boston (which I don't). I will retake and see how I fare in June. If I increase my score then I will re-apply for next cycle. If not then I have narrowed my choices down to UM with 30k/yr, or UF instate with need based aid.

Being that I will not live at home even if I attend UM, what I will save with the scholarship will be lost to the high cost of living, but I should still be able to attend at just under 100 COA for either UF or UM.

UF is the best school in the state, but I want to live and practice in Miami. I understand the limitations of both degrees, but also know that if I manage to do well at either that I will have a decent shot at decent jobs. Also, I will aim for biglaw (however unlikely it may be) and If that doesn't happen then I will aim for midlaw (have family that works at good midlaw firms, and should be able to start there as long as I have something to show for myself).

Does UF give me any advantage over UM in south Florida?

Anyone at UM, UF, or with knowledge of the South Florida market in particular is welcome to chime in.

Many thanks!

- Joe

Doorkeeper

Re: Florida

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon May 06, 2013 2:51 pm

What is your total cost of attendance for both schools?

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Totals:
Tuition UM - 36; Living - 60; total 96-106 (adding an extra 10 for misc.)
Tuition UF - 54; Living - 45; total 99-109

Edit: At UM I will have a "Dean's Scholarship" if that adds any weight to a resume at all. It's a 50% stip so I think that it is pretty reasonable.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:27 pm

If you won't live with the parents at UM and insist on going this year, go to UF, though I still think you're paying too much for it. Just make sure you really work aggressively to find work over and go down to Miami (definitely stay with parents then!) over summers to try to make contacts with Miami firms, and be ok with the fact you will likely have to settle for a firm that isn't huge and paying market rate (though more power to you if you manage to pull that off).

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:21 pm

untar614 wrote:If you won't live with the parents at UM and insist on going this year, go to UF, though I still think you're paying too much for it. Just make sure you really work aggressively to find work over and go down to Miami (definitely stay with parents then!) over summers to try to make contacts with Miami firms, and be ok with the fact you will likely have to settle for a firm that isn't huge and paying market rate (though more power to you if you manage to pull that off).

Thanks for your input. My parents cannot afford to have me live with them, and their house is in foreclosure anyway. I've been fortunate enough to make great contacts down here but also know that it will ultimately come down to my grades.

So do you believe UF is a better law degree, even in Miami?

SleekFire

Postby SleekFire » Tue May 07, 2013 12:10 am

Both schools are great options. But I think UM is your best bet. Their alumni network down here is huge (check the partners bio's at the firms if you don't believe me). Also, the added prestige of the scholarship is great.

I'm working at a "biglaw" firm in Miami - FWIW.

ericsmith249

Postby ericsmith249 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:15 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=miami

I met a bartender who went to Miami Law... it was a sad conversation that you never want to be in.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 am

SleekFire wrote:Both schools are great options. But I think UM is your best bet. Their alumni network down here is huge (check the partners bio's at the firms if you don't believe me). Also, the added prestige of the scholarship is great.

Hey, thanks for your response.

So if you don't mind me asking, what was your rank at UM, and how many offers were you able to secure? I love living here in Miami, but I just want to make an informed decision. Do you feel that Miami firms preferred UM over UF, or does UF still hold more clout in South Fla?

ericsmith249

Postby ericsmith249 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:26 am

joeant wrote:
SleekFire wrote:Both schools are great options. But I think UM is your best bet. Their alumni network down here is huge (check the partners bio's at the firms if you don't believe me). Also, the added prestige of the scholarship is great.

So if you don't mind me asking, what was your rank at UM, and how many offers were you able to secure? I love living here in Miami, but I just want to make an informed decision. Do you feel that Miami firms preferred UM over UF, or does UF still hold more clout in South Fla?

If he landed biglaw in Miami I'd assume he went to a t14.

SleekFire

Postby SleekFire » Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 am

joeant wrote:

No problem. I didn't go to UM though. Those are just my observations...

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:34 am

SleekFire wrote:
joeant wrote:

No problem. I didn't go to UM though. Those are just my observations...

Yeah sorry, I read it quickly and realized after that you probably didn't go by the way you phrased it. However, it is definitely reassuring to get feedback from someone that works in Miami biglaw.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 am

I wouldn't pay that much for either. Maybe $75k debt total

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 am

in before JIMMY DEAN

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 07, 2013 12:57 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't pay that much for either. Maybe $75k debt total

So if both were at 75 and u wanted to work in Miami, which would you attend?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 07, 2013 1:36 pm

joeant wrote:

I'd max out retakes if to make sure that was actually my best option before I even considered it

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 07, 2013 1:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:
joeant wrote:

I'd max out retakes if to make sure that was actually my best option before I even considered it

OP is already retaking. I'm actually curious, which would you attend gun to the head if you had to make a choice assuming retake was already going to happen?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
joeant wrote:

OP is already retaking. I'm actually curious, which would you attend gun to the head if you had to make a choice assuming retake was already going to happen?

I wouldn't attend. Not attending is always an option.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:00 pm

I wouldn't attend. Not attending is always an option.[/quote]

Thank you rad lulz for your persistent pessimism, sarcasm, and lack of providing any kind of insight.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 07, 2013 2:08 pm

joeant wrote:Thank you rad lulz for your persistent pessimism, sarcasm, and lack of providing any kind of insight.

Don't ask for advice then complain when you get it

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
joeant wrote:Thank you rad lulz for your persistent pessimism, sarcasm, and lack of providing any kind of insight.

Lmao, you didn't give anything of the sort. You said that you would not go at anything over 75. Then when pressed with a hypothetical so you could then provide your insight, you contradicted yourself by saying you wouldn't go to either even at 75. The question is simple -- does UF provide an advantage over UM in Miami at the same cost of attendance. If you have no input to provide, then why are you trolling this forum? If you do then please, by all means, give me your thoughts on the topic at hand.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:35 pm

rad lulz wrote:
joeant wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Lmao, you didn't give anything of the sort. You said you would not go for anything more than 75. Than when pressed with a hypothetical just so you provide your insight, you contradicted yourself by saying you would go to neither even at 75. The question is simple, does UF provide an advantage over UM in Miami. If you have no input to provide, then why are you trolling this forum? If you do then please, by all means, give me your thoughts on the topic at hand.

I thought the hypothetical was the the one in the poll.

Both at $75?

Probably UF

I'm on my phone and from what I recall its better firm placement.

JAG is a wash as it is so unlikely from both

Thanks man. I'm not interested in JAG, but I did see a similar post regarding that. And yes, the question was aimed toward large and mid sized firms.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 07, 2013 2:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
joeant wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Lmao, you didn't give anything of the sort. You said you would not go for anything more than 75. Than when pressed with a hypothetical just so you provide your insight, you contradicted yourself by saying you would go to neither even at 75. The question is simple, does UF provide an advantage over UM in Miami. If you have no input to provide, then why are you trolling this forum? If you do then please, by all means, give me your thoughts on the topic at hand.

I thought the hypothetical was the the one in the poll.

Both at $75?

Probably UF

I'm on my phone and from what I recall its better firm placement.

JAG is a wash as it is so unlikely from both

your memory serves you well.

its about 40% higher chance at UF. still deplorable but higher: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=miami
miami boosts its overall numbers by providing more school funded positions.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm

There goes rad being his overly optimistic self yet again.

I think 60K should be about the max for either school. Job placement is too poor and the chance of wasting three years of your life is too high to gamble much more than that IMO.

And of these two, I would definitely choose UF.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”