J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:18 pm

What kind of an advantage would i get in the job market for entertainment law if i were to pursue a degree of this sort from the university of miami law school? let's leave debt aside and talk about job prospect advantages solely.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby guano » Mon May 06, 2013 12:44 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:What kind of an advantage would i get in the job market for entertainment law if i were to pursue a degree of this sort from the university of miami law school? let's leave debt aside and talk about job prospect advantages solely.

I think the bigger issue is that it's the U of M, rather than the details of the degree

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby cahwc12 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Image

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:46 pm

my concern is the location. entertainment law is big in NY or Cali, I am not sure about the prospects in FL

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby guano » Mon May 06, 2013 12:49 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:my concern is the location. entertainment law is big in NY or Cali, I am not sure about the prospects in FL

If you go to Miami, your concern should be employment - any kind of employment

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Northwestern runs a JD/Masters in Music program that has produced some notable graduates in the industry. Their music program is top notch; this is the only JD/MM program I have discovered of any repute.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby buddyt » Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Northwestern runs a JD/Masters in Music program that has produced some notable graduates in the industry. Their music program is top notch; this is the only JD/MM program I have discovered of any repute.

I didn't think it was possible for someone to substantively address the OP and was getting ready for popcorn.gif (lol entertainment law, space law, bird law, et al) but this post is surprisingly substantive.

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm

buddytyler wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Northwestern runs a JD/Masters in Music program that has produced some notable graduates in the industry. Their music program is top notch; this is the only JD/MM program I have discovered of any repute.

I didn't think it was possible for someone to substantively address the OP and was getting ready for popcorn.gif (lol entertainment law, space law, bird law, et al) but this post is surprisingly substantive.


my thoughts exactly, and I am the op

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby timbs4339 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:58 pm

buddytyler wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Northwestern runs a JD/Masters in Music program that has produced some notable graduates in the industry. Their music program is top notch; this is the only JD/MM program I have discovered of any repute.

I didn't think it was possible for someone to substantively address the OP and was getting ready for popcorn.gif (lol entertainment law, space law, bird law, et al) but this post is surprisingly substantive.


It doesn't though. OP's chances of getting "entertainment law" from Miami are SPS, even if he wants to work in LA or NY.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby twenty » Tue May 07, 2013 1:28 am

Fairly trollicious, but I'll bite.

Don't do a joint degree. Instead, work for a year or two in the industry. Instead of spending money, you'll be making money, and if you do it right, you'll have a bigger advantage come legal hiring time. Yay!

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Postby cahwc12 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:52 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Fairly trollicious, but I'll bite.

Don't do a joint degree. Instead, work for a year or two in the industry. Instead of spending money, you'll be making money, and if you do it right, you'll have a bigger advantage come legal hiring time. Yay!


This seems like really good advice in general for people looking into joint degrees. Thanks for sharing.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BVest, Tiago Splitter, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests