Help!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby Micdiddy » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

lhfl5858 wrote:Definitely not paying out of my personal savings. It's money left to me by a relative

Thank y'all so much for all the great advice!


Well, that is still your money...

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Help!!

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
lhfl5858 wrote:Definitely not paying out of my personal savings. It's money left to me by a relative

Thank y'all so much for all the great advice!


Well, that is still your money...


Unless I'm going crazy I think he ninja edited. Originally he said that the money had to be put toward schooling. If that's true then I say go for it. And by it I mean UT of course.

See you there OP!

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Help!!

Postby El Principe » Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Yeah, this is all Texas

lhfl5858
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Help!!

Postby lhfl5858 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 pm

.
Last edited by lhfl5858 on Mon May 13, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby Micdiddy » Mon May 06, 2013 7:12 pm

lhfl5858 wrote:It's money in a trust that only my parents can access and the relative stipulated it must be used for school


Oh yes then by all means thread is over, go to UT. And congrats!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Help!!

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
lhfl5858 wrote:It's money in a trust that only my parents can access and the relative stipulated it must be used for school


Oh yes then by all means thread is over, go to UT. And congrats!

+1

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby bruin91 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:UC tuition fraud is legendary compared to texas or georgia other state schools. UCLA went from $12K in the early 2000's to $31K in 2009 to $48K ($53K out of state) next year. Un-fucking-believable.

When I was in high school I remember thinking I wanted to go to UCLA law since it was a solid option at that price. HAHAHAHAHA


Biggest +1.....

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby Crowing » Tue May 07, 2013 11:17 pm

lhfl5858 wrote:It's money in a trust that only my parents can access and the relative stipulated it must be used for school


Now that's an idea. If I ever have money to leave and a relative I really don't like, I'll just put like 100k (or the equivalent relative to COA in year 20XX) with the stipulation that they have to use it for law school.

How's that for a carrot?

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby boblawlob » Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Crowing wrote:
lhfl5858 wrote:It's money in a trust that only my parents can access and the relative stipulated it must be used for school


Now that's an idea. If I ever have money to leave and a relative I really don't like, I'll just put like 100k (or the equivalent relative to COA in year 20XX) with the stipulation that they have to use it for law school.

How's that for a carrot?

Then they choose Cooley.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby Crowing » Tue May 07, 2013 11:25 pm

boblawlob wrote:
Crowing wrote:
lhfl5858 wrote:It's money in a trust that only my parents can access and the relative stipulated it must be used for school


Now that's an idea. If I ever have money to leave and a relative I really don't like, I'll just put like 100k (or the equivalent relative to COA in year 20XX) with the stipulation that they have to use it for law school.

How's that for a carrot?

Then they choose Cooley.


That's the point - hence the bolded and "carrot."

It's like "hey look there's a bunch of money for you but you have to ruin your life financially to get it."

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby boblawlob » Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Crowing wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
Crowing wrote:
lhfl5858 wrote:It's money in a trust that only my parents can access and the relative stipulated it must be used for school


Now that's an idea. If I ever have money to leave and a relative I really don't like, I'll just put like 100k (or the equivalent relative to COA in year 20XX) with the stipulation that they have to use it for law school.

How's that for a carrot?

Then they choose Cooley.


That's the point - hence the bolded and "carrot."

It's like "hey look there's a bunch of money for you but you have to ruin your life financially to get it."

I don't understand how they ruin their life financially when your trust fund would pay for their COA.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby Crowing » Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Huh? Cooley's COA pre-interest is 160k. 100k =/= 160k?

Also, if you don't recognize that going to Cooley even for free would be a horrible decision, then you haven't been reading much TLS/Campos/Scamblogs/etc.

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby boblawlob » Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Crowing wrote:Huh? Cooley's COA pre-interest is 160k. 100k =/= 160k?

Also, if you don't recognize that going to Cooley even for free would be a horrible decision, then you haven't been reading much TLS/Campos/Scamblogs/etc.

I was just responding on the basis that you wanted to ruin a hated relative's life financially.

But my mistake, I read your post as saying you'd put in full COA in the trust fund and not 100k adjusted for inflation.

But hey, the relative you hate could very well end up at T14 or w.e.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Help!!

Postby Crowing » Tue May 07, 2013 11:51 pm

boblawlob wrote:
Crowing wrote:Huh? Cooley's COA pre-interest is 160k. 100k =/= 160k?

Also, if you don't recognize that going to Cooley even for free would be a horrible decision, then you haven't been reading much TLS/Campos/Scamblogs/etc.

I was just responding on the basis that you wanted to ruin a hated relative's life financially.

But my mistake, I read your post as saying you'd put in full COA in the trust fund and not 100k adjusted for inflation.

But hey, the relative you hate could very well end up at T14 or w.e.


Well if you buy into the oft-raised premise that having a JD on your resume (or 3 years gap if you leave it off) actually makes it more difficult to get non-legal jobs, it could have some pretty serious financial ramifications even if it covered full COA at a school with terrible outcomes.

As for the T14 thing, I was trying to pick an amount of money for the trust fund that would be enough to make the prospect of going after a JD appealing but not enough to make most if not all schools worth it. Maybe like 50k would be more appropriate idk. I'd probably also be banking on any relative of mine being too lazy/too lousy at academics to actually get accepted to a top school, which would be a good bet imo lol.

But regardless it was just meant as a joke, and extending it in this fashion makes it dumber than it already was, so I think I'm just going to stop before I get full-aspie up in here.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, LawschoolHopeful2k16 and 4 guests